Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2011 6:11pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    I have no doubt there are people in the movement who know what they are doing. But I doubt, due to overwhelming evidence that suggests the majority of people in general are fucking stupid, that they make up the majority of the movement. Let me just reiterate, people in general are fucking STUPID. I can then extrapolate that a gathering of people without employment would have an even lower average IQ than the general population. Yes, there will be some incredibly gifted individuals who have grasped the concept, who have lost their jobs or gone broke due to shady financial practices, but they will be weighed down by the incredibly moronic individuals that believe the movement is somehow going to double the size of their welfare cheques.

If the movement does enact change, I am the one going to benefit because I actually contribute to society and have done for years, I know how to identify opportunity and work towards a goal. People who don't know how to contribute to society, who don't know how to set and achieve goals because they have been handed a cheque from the gubbamint since they was kidz cause the world owes them for whatever reason, they are the ones who will still cry that they are hard done by because the redistribution of the 1%'s wealth is going to people who actually deserve it (EDIT: a bit harsh, to people who work).

Again, there are people in the movement who will benefit from the change because they ARE OR WERE PRODUCTIVE MEMBERS OF SOCIETY. They will know when change has been enacted, they will see the movement's ideals come to fruition and they will grasp the opportunities that arise from it.
    We all benefit from a fairer system. The people who know how to seize an opportunity when it arises will benefit directly. Given enough opportunity, even people who aren't as on-the-ball about it will benefit directly. But everyone benefits peripherally. That's kind of the key here: I want you to do well. I want to do well. I want a lot more people to be able to do well. They in turn will provide lesser opportunities for others.

And you can't really base intelligence off of joblessness. The joblessness rate among college graduates is higher than it has been since 1970. And really, does it matter if the others are stupid? We're not telling these people to divine the solutions to nation's problems; we're counting on them to be loud enough that the people capable of solving the problems take the matter seriously.

Posted On:
    11/16/2011 6:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sri Hanuman View Post
    that crowd has no understanding of real hardship. Again, because a vast number of them are idealistic college students. And again, yes, there will be exceptions.
    This is a pretty legitimate criticism of those attending these events in the UK, don't know about the US.

There are lots of jobs out there, all the major multinationals across all sectors are still recruiting as a big national and regional companies.

There are also lots of jobs in smaller companies for graduates. Nearly 10,000 advertised here:
    http://www.totaljobs.com/graduate

The issue for graduates is that they have been convinced that going to university guarantees them either a sexy high status job as a commercial lawyer in London or slick PR exec, whereas the reality is most graduates don't get or go into those jobs they work as managers in factories or as accountants in small regional firms etc....

So there are jobs that graduates aren't applying for because they think they're beneath them.

The other flip side is the non-graduate young un-employed. In the UK, have been simultaneously let down by the education system which has failed to equip them with basic skills needed to succeed in the work place and instead channelled them into a dumbed down curriculum geared towards trying to get people into polytechnics sorry Universities when they would have been much better suited on a vocationally minded curriculum.

Thus they have had the bar set for them inappropriately, have failed to gain skills needed for appropriate non-graduate jobs and have been conned into thinking they are now entitled to a job.

A pretty sorry state of affairs which the majority of blame is not attributable to the current economic climate, but the lunatic social engineering schemes of the previous decade long government.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/16/2011 6:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalLegion View Post
    Please..fucking spare me. There are plenty of well educated individuals who have been and were out of work despite being qualified, hard working people...and please...stop with the **** about "go learn to do something else". Taking up a whole new career and learning a whole new skillset isn't that fucking easy unless you have someone who is going to help support you along the way. With a married couple, it's easier...with a single individual, it's not.

And your true story? How did your wife do it again...oh yeah..."networking", which is company double-speak for "I know someone that I've shmoozed enough in order to throw me a bone". I seriously doubt her 'reputation' and 'skills' was all there was to it. I've spent 20 years in retail with major corporations...I know all about how "networking" actually works, so save it for someone who doesn't know any better.
    Taking up a new skill is easy as fucking pie. I'm doing it right now. While I have a job. While everything is cool. Instead of resting on my laurels. So if **** hits the fan I have options. So if **** doesn't hit the fan I have increased marketability. It's called foresight. It's way harder than wallowing in self pity, but it's pretty effective. You should try it sometime.

You're right, things are easier when you're married and have someone else to count on. Another important life decision overlooked by many.

Obviously, you are a failure at networking. My wife didn't kiss anyone's ass. To the contrary, she has been pursued by a potential employer for quite some time because someone she has worked with in the past knows she would be an asset to her company. All my wife had to do was give her a call, and she had the job. Networking.

Posted On:
    11/16/2011 6:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I said comrade, there are jobs available, but not everyone will want them.
    I had to do a number of them right after college, before I could get a "real job." Yeah, it sucked, but also, it didnt kill me.

The harsh reality of life is, no one is entitled to anything. Like it or not, you have to work for everything, no one will just hand you anything.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2011 6:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    Look at these lazy, stinking hippies: an 84 year old woman, a veteran and a priest. What are they gonna pepper spray next, a baby holding a flag and an apple pie?
    You know, I find that I don't get beaten up by the goon squad nearly as often when I don't go stand in an angry mob that is throwing Moutain Dew cans and spitting at said goon squad while screaming "Die pigs die" but that's just me.

Posted On:
    11/16/2011 6:39pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, I'm one of the weird ones that straddles the left wing/ right wing fence, I have a curious mix borne of a left wing supporting mother (Occupational Health and Safety Consultant) and a right wing father (Electrician/ business owner).

I have no doubt that eventually the idiots, sorry, the majority will benefit from (lesser) opportunities from the trickle down effect, I just wish they'd shut their fucking mouths and let the intelligent ones speak in order to give the movement credence. You can talk about being loud enough to be heard all you like, but all I hear is everyone laughing at the morons flapping their gums whose primary purpose is to stop [something they have no idea about] in order to get more [something they have no idea about].

It doesn't matter that people are stupid, it really doesn't, they can be stupid with their stupid faces doing stupid things all day for all I care. Hell, there is an entire website set up for them to showcase how stupid they are (for some great examples: failbook.org, lamebook.com, etc). I'm happy that they want to be involved in societal change, really happy. They must realise through the haze of unintelligence that something ain't right when Mr CEO makes more money per minute sitting in an office than someone can make in a lifetime busting their hump to retire with nothing and die in government housing with a body wracked in pain from years of slaving in manual labour. I just wish they'd shut the **** up if they don't know what they are talking about, because being heard is not the same as being loud in this instance. And don't rate graduating college as a measure of intelligence, please. With the right kind of gumption, well below average intelligence students can graduate college.
    Last edited by battlefields; 11/16/2011 6:50pm at .
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/16/2011 6:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    But answer me this: there is proof that there are fewer people are bootstrapping themselves now than there were 30/20/10 years ago.
    Ooh, ooh! Me, me! This one's easy.

1. People are bigger pussies than ever before.
    2. Brainwashing about equality. People have been deluded into thinking everyone should be able to drive a Mercedes and live in a palace. Expectations are too high. People overextend themselves trying to obtain **** that is beyond their means. When they can't make it happen they blame it on the economy.
    3. Bullshit college degrees. Motherfuckers get a degree from Phoenix online and think they can go compete with a guy who went to Princeton. Wrong. We get a bunch of stats about college grads who can't get jobs, but a fuckton of them went to Mickey Mouse University.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2011 6:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    That's not an attempt to gain legitimacy, but a response to the stereotyping of protestors going on in this and every other thread about anything vaguely left wing. Anytime anyone suggest some sort of control on capitalism, the forum's bros mobilize, not to offer arguments but to laugh through their bad teeth and miss the point like the reactionary fratboy morons they are, while desperately hoping that they can put up a big enough screen of thought-stopping cliches (GET A JOB, HIPPIE etc) that they can deny, at least to themselves, that OWS has had an impact on the national discourse, while undermining that at the same time by making threads like this one.

But are you legit comparing sleeping in the park to rape?

No, I'm not comparing sleeping in the park with rape.
    Just seemed like this thread was about wether the movement would amount to anything. Thus far your sole rebuttle to everything said has been to ham up the plight of the protestors as if their suffering made their viewpoints more legitimate.

Posted On:
    11/16/2011 6:52pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And they get the wrong degrees while paying too much for them. STEM (Science technology engineering and mathematics) degrees are where the jobs are-especially computer science and electrical engineering. It's a nerd's world; the rest of you just live in it. Also credentials =/= skills.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2011 7:05pm

Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    And they get the wrong degrees while paying too much for them. STEM (Science technology engineering and mathematics) degrees are where the jobs are-especially computer science and electrical engineering. It's a nerd's world; the rest of you just live in it. Also credentials =/= skills.
    I really wonder what people are thinking when they get a degree. If it doesn't give you a skill/knowledge base that is in demand, why pay for it? If it's not going to help you get into a field where there's work, I just don't understand getting it.

I can't tell you how sad it makes me to hear someone getting a Psychology major expecting to make $50,000 a year with a bachelors.
Page 7 of 72 FirstFirst ... 34567 8910111757 ... LastLast