Page 59 of 72 FirstFirst ... 9495556575859 6061626369 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 8:13pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they bootstrap enough, the jobs will come. It's kind of like the Field of Dreams.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 8:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA JESUS-SAMA View Post
    There aren't enough jobs for these people.

Seriously, if you literally starving to death because you can't find any job at all, why NOT walk into a Army/Navy/Air Force recruiting office and fill out the paperwork? Problems of food, clothing, shelter, are SOLVED!

Or try the Department of Corrections, for whatever reason quite a few people decide being locked in with convicted killers isn't what it's cracked up to be leading to high turnover, there's usually a positon open doing SOMETHING, again you get provided with clothes, you can eat the state tray, and a few institutions even have an option to live on the grounds.

In both cases, you're fed, you get clothes, the job comes with health insurance, and you get PAID on top of all this. So...why not give it a shot?

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 8:50pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post

Seriously, if you literally starving to death because you can't find any job at all, why NOT walk into a Army/Navy/Air Force recruiting office and fill out the paperwork? Problems of food, clothing, shelter, are SOLVED!

Or try the Department of Corrections, for whatever reason quite a few people decide being locked in with convicted killers isn't what it's cracked up to be leading to high turnover, there's usually a positon open doing SOMETHING, again you get provided with clothes, you can eat the state tray, and a few institutions even have an option to live on the grounds.

In both cases, you're fed, you get clothes, the job comes with health insurance, and you get PAID on top of all this. So...why not get shot at?
    Fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 9:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @battlefields

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) early projections, the number of traffic fatalities fell three percent between 2009 and 2010, from 33,808 to 32,788

Source: nhtsa.gov

Meanwhile, from 2001-2011 (Warning! Source is wikipedia!) 1452 members of the armed forces were killed in Afghanistan.

Anyway, until we get the whole "brains in android bodies thing" figured out, everybody (bar one?) is going to die some day, and I for one would rather do so with some food and clothes on back, accomplishing something useful, than freezing to death under an overpass.

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 9:42pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right, incomparable stats between fatalities. Gotcha. Use a (soldier:fatality) vs a (road user:fatality) statistic. It is less obtuse.

Hey, I'm the guy that, faced with the possibility of becoming homeless and destitute, began the process of joining the military. It was only because I had a court imposed good behaviour bond on me that I was told I couldn't join until the bond was completed. HOWEVER, just the act of getting off my arse to join and realising I was mere months away from getting shot at in Iraq (it was during the initial stages of Iraqi Freedom or whatever the operation was called) meant I suddenly had the motivation and ambition to do something with myself and not let myself be dragged into a war zone, or into welfare. Being dragged into welfare might as well have dragged me into a war zone, because of my connections at the time I was likely to follow a distinctly violent criminal path.

So yeah, motivation? Good. Getting shot at? Not so good. I don't care what the stats are.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 9:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, that was dirty pool...and possibly dealing from the bottom of the deck as well.

It would be more a more meaningful comparison if I could get percentages for number of people in Afghanistan vs number of fatalties compared to number of road users vs number of fatalities, but I have no idea where such statistics might be found.

(Reminds me of a claim I heard that more people were shot in a year in New Orleans, Louisiana than Bagdad....but I'm *almost* sure that was an exaggeration)

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 10:07pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, that was dirty pool...and possibly dealing from the bottom of the deck as well.

It would be more a more meaningful comparison if I could get percentages for number of people in Afghanistan vs number of fatalties compared to number of road users vs number of fatalities, but I have no idea where such statistics might be found.

(Reminds me of a claim I heard that more people were shot in a year in New Orleans, Louisiana than Bagdad....but I'm *almost* sure that was an exaggeration)
    Getting shot at in Iraq isn't that big a deal. The number of times they're even close to you is extremely low.
    Last edited by wetware; 12/05/2011 10:08pm at . Reason: Yeah, that's right. Iraqis can't shoot for shit.

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 10:09pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You also hurt my feelings.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 10:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    You also hurt my feelings.
    I would apologize, but that would be in violation of rule 17 of the Bullshido Forums:
    No Chick Flick Moments on the Bullshido Forums

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 10:23pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I call my balls "my feelings" because I only ever get hurt from low blows.