Page 53 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3434950515253 5455565763 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 9:42pm

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by madmonkey View Post
    There are certainly alot of strong feeling over this. My problem with the arguments about corporate influence over the government is that they act like its only just happened. This sort of thing has been going on for decades, people only seem to get indignant about it when it affects them negatively.

Also while an unemployment rate of 9% as reported in the USA in October is nothing to be laughed about and while those people looking for work are having a tough time it still means that 91% are employed albeit facing worsening economic conditions
    Many of us realize that this isn't something new. In fact, if you go to some of the occupation websites and go into their video files, there a lot of talk about the last 30 years and corporate influence in a wide variety of areas. The sad truth is, most people aren't going to notice something is wrong until they're negatively impacted.

In that sense, it's like a heart attack. We know that something we're doing isn't good for our health, but we don't do something about it until an event occurs that doesn't let us ignore it any further.

Yes, (closer to) 83% of employable people still have jobs. The question is will that number still be equal or greater than 83% in the future? Another question is how many of those people are working two or three jobs just to make ends meet?
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 9:44pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    Nobody knows what it's about, including you.
    This is disingenuous. If there is one message louder and clearer than the rest, it is that Wall Street screwed over Main Street. The only reason much of what they did wasn't illegal was because they paid to have the rules changed. If everyone wanted the government to hand them the good life, they wouldn't be occupying Wall Street, they'd be occupying Congress. The message of OWS when you cut out all the fringe crap is simple: business out of politics, hold those who broke the law accountable, and legislate for the good of the people. The idea that this message is somehow incomprehensible from the movement is pure media spin that has been applied from day 1.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 9:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFoxtrot51 View Post
    Another question is how many of those people are working two or three jobs just to make ends meet?
    I feel so sorry for the poor poor people who are so poor because they live in a poor area and they have three jobs because they can't find a job. That's so poor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 9:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Long-term discouraged workers? lol.
    I included them because they used to be real people and an actual label in unemployment statistics. But sometimes you need to make that bottom line look a little better so you phase out a class of people. The next to go will probably be the short-term discouraged workers, who help make the 16.6% figure that is the Bureau of Labor Statistic's unemployment figure.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 9:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    I included them because they used to be real people and an actual label in unemployment statistics. But sometimes you need to make that bottom line look a little better so you phase out a class of people. The next to go will probably be the short-term discouraged workers, who help make the 16.6% figure that is the Bureau of Labor Statistic's unemployment figure.
    Just so we're clear - are they discouraged because they have three jobs or because they can't find a third job? That's discouraging.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 10:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah, that's completely unrelated. Anyone in the statistics that I'm talking about has no job. This is a kind of simplistic breakdown of it: You have your unemployed people, who used to work and might be collecting benefits and still trying to find a job. You have your short-term discouraged workers, people who used to work and used to collect benefits but couldn't find a job, got discouraged, and took some time off from the job hunt for whatever reason--but they fact that they stopped looking takes them off of the "official" unemployment rate. Then you have who those short-termers become when they still can't find a job. Long-term discouraged workers (and I love the label because the only way they are workers is by way of work history) haven't ceased to exist, they've just ceased to count.

And I'm pretty sure (but I wouldn't swear to) these numbers don't include the under-employed; those people not lucky enough to be able to score enough shifts at one job or enough jobs to make a living.
    Last edited by CNagy; 11/29/2011 10:03pm at .

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 10:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, I understand how unemployment is calculated. I'm enjoying myself here. Don't go getting all serious.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 10:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel so sorry for the poor poor people who are so poor because they live in a poor area and they have three jobs because they can't find a job. That's so poor.
    And this is what happens when you can't actually argue the issue anymore.

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 10:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalLegion View Post
    And this is what happens when you can't actually argue the issue anymore.
    Trust me AnalLesion, if I were looking for a meaningful debate I wouldn't be here.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 10:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Trust me AnalLesion, if I were looking for a meaningful debate I wouldn't be here.
    Of course you wouldn't be here, Dipshit...you'd be down at the docks in your high heels and make-up looking for that next special sailor.