232390 Bullies, 4054 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 52 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2424849505152 5354555662 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 9:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFoxtrot51 View Post
    This is the false argument presented by various sources. Supposedly, the OWS movement is against people with wealth. According to Glenn Beck, we're going to drag them into the streets and kill them for what they have.

That's bullshit. It has nothing to do with the fact that people have money. It has to do with how that money was obtained. If you obtained it fairly, I don't give a rats ass how much you have or what you buy with it (assuming you aren't buying votes or political influence). If you obtained money through various types of theft, you should be held accountable and the money you took should be stripped from you.
    It's funny how you speak for the movement and declare what it is and isn't about when it's quite obvious the movement has no fucking clue what they're even protesting. What you mean is that's not what it's about to you, which is fine but hardly relevant. To some of those people it's about the government. To some it's about corporate greed. Some are pissed because Obama doesn't pay their electric bill. To some, it's about purple.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 9:12pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with some of the points the OWS raises about some of the unethical practices of corporations and bankers but I do not agree that continued 24hr protesting is essential. Initially it was and they have raised the issue, now they need to allow the government time to implement those changes. If the changes are not implemented then protest again.

In the UK we have a similar situation as our financial regulations were very lax leading to an over reliance on finance industry as a source of profit for the UK.

But while the profits of some financiers and bankers is disproportionately high no one was really complaining about this and people were happy to ride the bubble and take the credit cards/loans they were offered even if they didnt need them and couldn't afford them. The argument that people were tricked into believing they could afford the debt may hold true in some cases but I would doubt that it holds true in the majority of the cases.

So whilst I deplore some of the stories of bankers walking away with millions despite running some businesses into the ground, surely we have to admit the part we played however small it was in bringing about this turn of events by taking credit or loans that we could not afford.

As Obama said the problem is that the actions of those who have profited from the economic downturn might be unethical but they were not necessarily illegal.

As to claiming that ows changes everything that seems a little premature. Only an idiot declares victory while the battles still being waged.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 9:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by madmonkey View Post
    surely we have to admit the part we played however small it was in bringing about this turn of events by taking credit or loans that we could not afford.
    A rational person would think that, but don't expect it from the crowd you're talking to. They only take breaks from admiring their Born to Lose tattoos in the mirror long enough to remind everyone what a **** world they live in.

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 9:20pm

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    It's funny how you speak for the movement and declare what it is and isn't about when it's quite obvious the movement has no fucking clue what they're even protesting. What you mean is that's not what it's about to you, which is fine but hardly relevant. To some of those people it's about the government. To some it's about corporate greed. Some are pissed because Obama doesn't pay their electric bill. To some, it's about purple.
    Changing the goal posts again.

You made a statement involving the fact that people have wealth. I corrected it by stating the issue is about how the wealth was obtained, not the money itself. You also used a Fox News talking point...

What you just did is a "no true Scotsman" fallacy. Instead of addressing what I said, you made a slight change to the topic in an attempt to invalidate my point. You're also trying to make it sound like I limited the movement to a singular issue, which I didn't do.
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 9:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A rational person would think that, but don't expect it from the crowd you're talking to. They only take breaks from admiring their Born to Lose tattoos in the mirror long enough to remind everyone what a **** world they live in.
    Please look up the definition of contextomy...
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 9:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFoxtrot51 View Post
    Changing the goal posts again.

You made a statement involving the fact that people have wealth. I corrected it by stating the issue is about how the wealth was obtained, not the money itself. You also used a Fox News talking point...

What you just did is a "no true Scotsman" fallacy. Instead of addressing what I said, you made a slight change to the topic in an attempt to invalidate my point. You're also trying to make it sound like I limited the movement to a singular issue, which I didn't do.
    What you just did is a "retard" fallacy. The instant replay is not necessary. I was there. I lived it.

I read what you said. You told me what "it's about" which is **** because there's zero cohesion in the OWS movement. Nobody knows what it's about, including you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 9:26pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are certainly alot of strong feeling over this. My problem with the arguments about corporate influence over the government is that they act like its only just happened. This sort of thing has been going on for decades, people only seem to get indignant about it when it affects them negatively.

Also while an unemployment rate of 9% as reported in the USA in October is nothing to be laughed about and while those people looking for work are having a tough time it still means that 91% are employed albeit facing worsening economic conditions

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 9:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you just did is a "retard" fallacy. The instant replay is not necessary. I was there. I lived it.

I read what you said. You told me what "it's about" which is **** because there's zero cohesion in the OWS movement. Nobody knows what it's about, including you.
    Aaaaaand we're done.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 9:36pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The 9% employment rate does not mean 91% are employed. That official statistic has qualifications that make it under-representative. The real unemployment rate is closer to 17%. If you include long-term discouraged workers (who were defined out of existence in the 90s), it's closer to 23%.

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 9:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Long-term discouraged workers? lol.