Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 6:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    That's kind of the point. Maybe none of us will agree 100% on just how bad it actually is, so if we leave that argument alone, look at the statistics and look at the trends, it becomes hard to argue that regardless of whether or not we are in an economic hellscape now, we are certainly headed for one.

So the real issue becomes heading off that future disaster; and happily the steps necessary to do so will start to address the problems of those who feel the future is actually now. As Devil said, yapping and whining about it won't solve the problem--not by itself. If you listen to any noise long enough, it becomes forgotten in the background. What yapping and whining about it has done, however, has brought national attention to the problem. That's a pretty good first step. It remains to be seen, however, if anyone grabs that attention and does something productive with it.

You know what I think is a good sign? This: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15929572 . A judge basically rejects a $285m settlement between Citigroup and the SEC for Citigroup's role in selling $1bn in mortgage assets and then betting against them. "Federal court judge Jed Rakoff ordered a trial, saying the settlement was "neither reasonable, nor fair, nor adequate, nor in the public interest". "
    That's really my issue with the Occupy Movement...a great deal of talk, which I agree is a great way to start, but not enough being translated into action. It seems to me that the Occupy Movement has this unwillingness to centralize into a coherent platform and I believe that is inevitably going to result in it's downfall.

And I agree...the Citigroup/SEC decision is a good sign. Hopefully it's not the last.

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 6:46pm

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    Okay, so I'm wrong. It looks like there are plenty of jobs then, and you're whining about nothing. I thought the world was going to hell and there were no jobs. Which is it? You can't have it both ways.
    You're changing the goal posts.

You said:
    When have you ever been able to make money with a piece of **** degree like that? Actually, it's not a piece of **** degree. It just isn't a standalone degree. It's a stepping stone. Part of a pair.
    I pointed out where a BS in Psychology would be applicable as a standalone degree. The only person trying to propose conflicting arguments here is you.
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 7:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    As a matter of fact I went to college on Chapter 31, I'm 20% disabled, and I got my home loan through the VA. I get discounts on auto insurance and a free meal now and then.

My military service is first on my resume and along with a degree in education, electronics technician certification, over 20 years of experience at both plus certifications as a national judo coach and instructor of BJJ I make a living.

Just like everything in the military or with goverment work you have to fill out the paper work and make sure you qualify for the program. That's why the VA is there to help you get the right stuff.
    Great. It worked for you and you qualified for the program. If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for you to get approved? Also, did you receive help from the VA when filing for benefits?

As for my experience. I'm not disabled, so I don't qualify for any disability benefits or the help that accompanies (sometimes if you're lucky) those benefits. I attended a community college with my MGIB because that's the only college it would pay for since it uses a monthly pay-out system instead of a lump sum. I saved up the money that was paid out so I could afford an apartment and afford tuition later on at a 4-year institution.

When I switched to the post 9/11 Bill, it was completely screwed up. Chapter 33 only pays for in-state tuition rates up to a certain amount. That meant it paid $1,700 of my $11,000 quarter. Guess how I paid for the rest of that...

By the way, enjoy your benefits while they last. Sen. McCain is looking at cutting them...
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 7:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh noes! Things don't go your way and your degree is a disappointment. Let's line up and cry about it!

Speaking of cherry picking - when are you going to show me that phrase in the Constitution?
    From the Declaration of Independence:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal
    The declaration gives insight to the framework and ideology behind the constitution.

From the Constitution of the United States:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
    Section. 8. The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
    You know what...let's just skip ahead to the 14th Amendment:

Section 1.
    All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
    Would you also like case laws where they've cited parts of the Constitution and talk about level playing fields?

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 7:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I stole that $500 million and I'm gong to keep it! **** the "general welfare."

Let's see how the 1% did:

Charles Prince — Citigroup Inc.: Charles Prince retired with a $42 million package in 2007, contingent on the company’s stock performance. Add this to his 1.61 million shares of stock, which are currently worth about $53 million, and his nest seems to be fairly feathered.

Dick Cheney — Halliburton: When his vice-presidential ticket was punched in 2000, Cheney stepped on to the White House lawn and quietly gave up his title as CEO of a little government-contracting company named of Halliburton — with a $34 million rip cord on his golden parachute. Cheney was kept on the company’s payroll after retirement, however, and was paid deferred compensation for his years of service. He also retained around 430,000 shares of Halliburton stock, which eventually led to questions about his business ties to a company that seemed to have benefited quite well from the War on Terror.

John J. Mack — Morgan Stanley: In 2006, John J. Mack received a $40 million bonus.

Lloyd Blankfein — The Goldman Sachs Group Inc.: Besting Mack in 2007, Lloyd Blankfein received a $60.7 million bonus.

Well we had better get busy pulling ourselves up by our bootstraps!
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 11/29/2011 7:42pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 8:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeez, you guys are pathetic. I have a good life because people like you are my competition. Thank you.

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 8:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeez, you guys are pathetic. I have a good life because people like you are my competition. Thank you.
    Uh-huh. What exactly are we competing over? Oh...nothing.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 8:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFoxtrot51 View Post
    Uh-huh. What exactly are we competing over? Oh...nothing.
    You may not be competing, but I am and I'm WINNING like Charlie Sheen.

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 8:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    I stole that $500 million and I'm gong to keep it! **** the "general welfare."

Let's see how the 1% did:

Charles Prince — Citigroup Inc.: Charles Prince retired with a $42 million package in 2007, contingent on the company’s stock performance. Add this to his 1.61 million shares of stock, which are currently worth about $53 million, and his nest seems to be fairly feathered.

Dick Cheney — Halliburton: When his vice-presidential ticket was punched in 2000, Cheney stepped on to the White House lawn and quietly gave up his title as CEO of a little government-contracting company named of Halliburton — with a $34 million rip cord on his golden parachute. Cheney was kept on the company’s payroll after retirement, however, and was paid deferred compensation for his years of service. He also retained around 430,000 shares of Halliburton stock, which eventually led to questions about his business ties to a company that seemed to have benefited quite well from the War on Terror.

John J. Mack — Morgan Stanley: In 2006, John J. Mack received a $40 million bonus.

Lloyd Blankfein — The Goldman Sachs Group Inc.: Besting Mack in 2007, Lloyd Blankfein received a $60.7 million bonus.

Well we had better get busy pulling ourselves up by our bootstraps!
    Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!! Scary rich people!!!!!!!! Run!!!!!

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 9:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!! Scary rich people!!!!!!!! Run!!!!!
    This is the false argument presented by various sources. Supposedly, the OWS movement is against people with wealth. According to Glenn Beck, we're going to drag them into the streets and kill them for what they have.

That's bullshit. It has nothing to do with the fact that people have money. It has to do with how that money was obtained. If you obtained it fairly, I don't give a rats ass how much you have or what you buy with it (assuming you aren't buying votes or political influence). If you obtained money through various types of theft, you should be held accountable and the money you took should be stripped from you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist: