Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    12/04/2002 2:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *drops to one knee and salute the Emperor and supreme master of the distilled arts*

Sam,

Just did this on another thread:
    www.bajimen.com
    www.wutangcenter.com

and though I have never actually gotten his site open Adam Hsu is supposed to be really good atwww.adamhsu.com
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2002 6:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeff: The head of our school was "Sifu Sophos". If I pass by his Kwoon I'll take a look to see what WC family he belongs to. There was a little of that "chop Suey" chi shields being taught there. Which puts me off ever going back.

You can find out more about "Chu sau Lei wing chun" at www.alanorr.co.uk I haven't had time to check out the site myself yet. Hopefully it will be helpful.

"Do you find it close to anything you've taken before?"

I am taking Latosa Eskrima. (I have no idea how or what makes that different from kali Eskrima.). Most of the empty hand techniques involve devetations. The target areas with blunt weapons and empty hand all seem to be joints.

The footwork works on the philosphy of forward force. Pushing into an enemy rather than side stepping. We come off the opponents centre line as opposed to parrying them aside but still keep them in our "fight zone" while projecting ourselves forward.( I don't think I'm explaining that well.). This is quite unlike WC where we used to drive through an opponents attack with a parry and attack of our own. WC used to concentrate on chasing the hands, whereas Eskrima seems to say "f#@k the hands" and place more emphasis on destroying the man rather than messing with his weapons. This seems stupid at first but Eskrima footwork places you in a position where it is differcult for your opponent to strike which allows you to concentrate on taking them apart.

In a word "No" it isn't like anything I have taken before. Yet some principles still apply speed, footwork, coordination, etc. Although they apply to all forms of combat.

Edited by - Rain Bird on December 04 2002 17:42:16

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2002 11:49pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kensai - thanks for the link. It shows that Alan Orr's teacher is none other that Robert Chu, the author of the WC book I'm reading at the moment:) "Chu sau Lei" is Robert's Chinese name. The style seems to be comprised of the Yip Man WC ( la Hawkins Cheung), Yuen Kay San WC and Gu Lao WC ( la Kwan Jong-Yuen), all three of which are covered in the book.

I am taking Latosa Eskrima. (I have no idea how or what makes that different from kali Eskrima.).

Me neither, apart from that Latosa Escrima is named after (Rene) Latosa, and most certainly covers up what he teaches, which may or may not be different from "other" Escrimas. Kali is another style, albeit closely related, I'm told.

WC used to concentrate on chasing the hands, whereas Eskrima seems to say "f#@k the hands" and place more emphasis on destroying the man rather than messing with his weapons.

I've heard both versions of WC. As for myself, I'm not at all skilled enough to know which is preferable, or how I would react in a "real" sitauition.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    12/05/2002 12:05am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kali is the mother art. Escrima and Arnis come from Kali.

"I'm not tense; just terribly, terribly alert."
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2002 12:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can anyone accurately explain the difference between WC WT(I know this has a copywrite) and VT? I took one of the forms from a private instructor, but he was very practical and didn't really care about all the politics of the branches. Are the styles noticeably different?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2002 3:19am

supporting member
     Style: Brazillian Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can anyone accurately explain the difference between WC WT(I know this has a copywrite) and VT?
    Wing Chun is a generic term used by most lineages, including both mainland (Foshan, Gulao, Yuen Kay San, etc) and Hong Kong (Yip Man) lineages. WT is Leung Ting's version of Yip Man WC, and Ving Tsun is the Chinese governments's officially sanctioned romanization of the term "Wing Chun" although it's still pronounced the same way. VT is used by the Moy Yat lineage (student of Yip Man), the VTAA (Ving Tsun Athletic Association; the main WC kwoon in Hong Kong), and Yip's sons, Chun and Ching.

Are the styles noticeably different?
    Yes, very.

First, I'm gonna hit ya...then your gonna fall
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "The difference between us, and other martial arts websites you might be looking for, is that we're not going to feed you, well, bullshit about martial arts."
    -Phrost

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2002 2:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I practice BJJ and cross Train and research in Wrestling, JKD, and other MMA.

I would suggest JKD concepts, which from what I have seen is very well rounded and effective.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    12/08/2002 4:57am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep. We're JKD Concepts.

"I'm not tense; just terribly, terribly alert."
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2002 2:38pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JKDChick, which styles influence your training? I've seen your refer to Dumog, BJJ and Kali, but I'm sure there are elements from other styles as well.

Edited by - jeff_lindqvist on December 14 2002 14:26:33
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast