My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    11/29/2002 9:56am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BAH!!!!

FORGET ALL THESE FEEBLE ARTS AND TAKE UP BAJI THE ART OF MEN!!! MEN I TELL YOU!!!! (What about Zhong?) OK and some WOMEN too!

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Titan

Posted On:
    11/29/2002 11:24am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >Except that BJJ is a sport, and the reason they don't strike is so that people don't go home with flat noses

Sgt.Puntang, you have all the martial knowledge of a wet ****.

Do you really think it's a good idea to end up in hospital after every training session ?

By removing strikes you can train at full power on the ground without fear of serious injury.

"Blood sugar suckerfish is my dish.
    How many pieces do you wish ?"
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2002 12:26pm

Style: Aikido and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I study Ki Aikido, but dont be under the impression we are all tree huggers. Rain Bird, you have to decide what you want from Martial arts. Sports orintated, REAL hard Self Defence or a Budo system like Aikido.

Cons of Ki Aikido
    Takes a loooooooong time to apply. Attacks seem unrealistic (at first).

Pro Ki Aikido
    Great Founder and history. More than just fighting. Central Ki aspect. (Ofcourse depends on whether you believe in Ki or not). You train full strength later on (Dan grades). Weapons training. Powerful throws and locks. You get the wear a Hakama! OH and very complete at later stages.

Asia, please forgive my ignorance, but what is BAJI?

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered,
    those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.
    Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." -O Sensei Ueshiba

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2002 4:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    brandeissansoo:: Thanks for the email I will give that instructor a call. Although there is a school that teaches MT/Sanshou close to where I live.

I have taken a couple of classes in Eskrima. Mostly to get me back in the habit of training. The simplicity of the strikes is something I relate too. As I have experienced "Log jam" many times in real fights.

JKDChick:: Thanks for the link. I will look into attending one of "Sifu Ony's" classes. It is on the other side of London from me but I will take a look.

Thanks to everyone else who replied. I am not a total Newbie to MA. It is just that I dislike the way many are taught. Especially in the UK. Clubs open and close within monthes which is not very productive.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    11/29/2002 4:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >Asia, please forgive my ignorance, but what is BAJI?

NEVER!!! HOW DARE YOU NOT KNOW THE ART OF BAJIQUAN!!! IT MAKES DEMONS AND GHOST TREMBLE!!!! IT IS THE..........

Sorry forgot to take the Meglomanic mode off.

Bajiquan (Eight Extreme Fist) is a Chinese MA thta is fast gaining popularity. It is a close quarters fighting style that is noted for generating powerful strikes. Most of the training is geared to learing to generate power through biomechanics. It is not a pretty art and considered "ugly" by the chinese. It is just simple and direct. I hate using media references but if you look at Virtua Fighter 4 Akira Yuki used Baji and his moves are motioned captured which can give you an idea of what the art is like.

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2002 5:26pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Rain Bird,

Which MA have you practiced?

I started out with karate in the autumn of 1985. One of the instructors was a bad ass, so I quit after two terms. Moreover, I didn't "like" karate.

Autumn 1990 a ninjutsu club opened. *sigh* I stayed for two terms.

What I really was looking after was Kung Fu. Just any style would do, I thought, so I read everything I came over about different systems.

In January 1993 I came in contact with a small Kung Fu group in my town, and joined. In the beginning I was taught the basics of classical Kung Fu, and eventually the instructor would see which style suited me the best. After a few months his decision was Wing Chun, which I've practiced ever since. Because I "like" it, because I think it might be "practical" in a real situation, because I haven't fallen for any other style in my town (kickboxing, boxing, Krav Maga, jujutsu, aikido et.c.).

I've tried Taiji, and am really interested in the internal styles, but there aren't any good instructors here:(

WC pros: directness, close quarter distance, conceptual rather than technique-based, easilly adaptable to a "real" fighting posture et.c. Of course this may apply to other systems as well.

WC cons: maybe the lack of groundfighting and grappling (I havent studied that yet, but several WC schools teach it) - on the other hand a wide range of techniques isn't necessarily good - it's better to know how to apply a few of them well, right?

No anti-WC flaming now, please.

Have a nice weekend everybody.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/29/2002 5:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeff, what system of WC do you practice? Are you under the Chueng family or the Ting Family or another line completely different?

Jeremy M. Talbott
    <a href:http://www.homestead.com/koreanma/index.html>Martial Art Society</a>
    http://www.geocities.com/jns1994/MSA.html
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2002 6:10pm

Style: Aikido and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Asia, is it anything like Ba Gua?

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered,
    those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.
    Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." -O Sensei Ueshiba

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2002 6:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeff: I started out in shotokan when I was about 8 or 9 years old. I attained my green belt shortly before my sensei deciding he no longer wished to teach in the area. My karate career ended there.

I then went on to learn Hapkido. I remeber little more than break falls, wrist locks and rolling with impact from those classes despite training Hapkido for some time. I aquired my second coloured belt. I don't remeber the colour right now. I think it was blue. Suffice to say I was a beginner. This school also moved across London and I was no longer able to attend classes.

My MA career ended for awhile untill I began training in WC. I love and still love the straight blast in WC and have found it effective when a situation goes live. Due to illness and family differculties I only studied WC for 6 monthes.

Once I stopped WC there was a huge gap. I had a lot of soul searching to do in that time and several years have passed with me simply training a mixture of what I already know but no official dojo/kwoon training.

Now life seems to be straightening out and I am finacially able to take classes I have begun again. Eskrima seemed like an excellent choice to improve footwork and the use of weapons. Empty hand I am looking into Silat, JKD, MT/sansoo and BJJ. The latter although very popular seems quite risky when you put a knife into the equation.

And since "BAJIQUAN" sounds popular I may make enquires in to that also. Although Akiri's moves in VF didn't seem to have the "flow" of other systems. Not that I will judge on the basis of a game.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2002 6:21pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Jeremy,

When I started there was a certain Ting influence, lately moving to Augustine Fong/Randy Williams. The training group dissolved many years back, so nowadays I practice on my own; forms, wallbag punching et.c. Once in a while, a friend and I practice together (when he's in town).

As I've said in another thread, I know I'm not going to become a fighter under these circumstances, but I train just for the fun of it.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast