Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2011 4:44pm

Style: PTK / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Getting back into training

Hey folks- long time no post.

I've been out of training for about two years now and was looking to get back in, and I'd like some advice.

I used to train in Modern Arnis (at Village Martial Arts, for any NYC bullies). I loved it, competed regularly (got a couple of medals) and got through my blue belt, but circumstances forced me to stop.

I did train a bit at Five Points therafter (once again, for NY bullies that know the gym). They teach PTK, and you can hang out and take a MT class for one price. They also focus equally on knife and stick fighting, which is a big plus, and will do some no-pads sparring from time to time.

The downside is I frankly didn't do as well at PTK as I did Modern Arnis. Perhaps it was just a lack of talent, or lack of dedication, but while I felt I was getting the hang of Arnis, PTK was tougher, and it was a bummer that folks there didn't tend to compete (in Kali- they're primarily a Muay Thai gym and their instructors are pretty decent).

So here's my quandry- do I go back to VMA, where I am confident I will be able to get my black belt within a year or so, have more of a sense of community and compete regularly in WEKAF tournaments, or do I go to five points where the classes are not ranked or frankly that well organized, but do focus more on real-world fighting than training for competitions, and I can take muay thai as well for the same price- BUT I may not do as well and frankly may not enjoy it as much (it's no fun to do something you suck at) or maybe if I stick with it long enough, I'll get over the training hump and be even better than I was at Arnis.

Thoughts?

Posted On:
    12/08/2011 5:50pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im guessing there's a reason you can't do both?

My advice would always be to go with the one you enjoy most. You'll be more likely to Give it your all, apply yourself hard, and stick with it.

Arnis sounds like that one to me

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2011 9:44am

Style: PTK / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can't do both primarily because of time. In addition to doing some video production work in my spare time, I've been trying to develop a game for XBLIG. As it is, this will eat into that, but I'll go nuts if I don't get a regular workout in.

Thanks for your advice.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/14/2011 9:08am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I would stick with the one you enjoy. If you go to the one that you are not enjoying, then you won't give full effort, and honestly, why do something that you don't enjoy. Life is too short for that!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.