Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2004 11:10am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hernia - is my MA training over?

I think I may have a hernia, but I'm not sure yet. I'll be seeing a doctor this week to find out. I may also have hurt myself by putting my steel cup in a little too tight yesterday, which pressed against the sides of my groin near the leg too much and caused some swelling - I'm not sure.

But if it is - have any of you guys experienced this? How long did you have to stay away from training after surgery?

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    4/02/2004 11:36am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had a hernia for about 8 months and I'm having it repaired at the end of April.

First I would see a doctor. The major reasons to have a hernia repaired is because it is very large or it is very painful. My hernia doesn't hurt so much, but it causes me to have nausea.

When my doctor first checked me out, he said as long as I could take the pain I could train without restrictions but doing so would likely make it worse. It took 8 months to get to the point where it bothered me enough that I felt I had to do something about it. I don't know how hardcore your training but if you're doing a lot of kicking or having to clench your abs tightly to either absorb blows or just working out, it might take you less time.

Even after my normal doctor recommend surgical repair, my surgeon gave me clearance to train for and compete in my schools championship tournament, which happens to be tonight.

As far as the surgergy goes, my doctor says the full recovery time is 6-8 weeks, not that bad. He says I should have no problem doing anything I did before, although he admits I'll probably never feel as good as I did before the hernia. Recovery is generally tougher on younger healthier people, because our tissues aren't as lax and suffer more damage during the surgery.

All surgeries are dangerous, but the most likely negative outcome is losing feeling in part or all of my scrotum. Apparently depending on where the hernia is, nerves can be in the way. If those nerves aren't cut and the repair patch rubs against them, instead of numbness you feel excruiatiing pain.

If any other way I can help let me know or PM me sometime.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/02/2004 12:10pm

supporting member
     Style: 7 Star

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had hernia surgery. I guess there are different kinds. In my situation the lining in my abdomen tore just above my penis on the left side so the tissue under the lining was pushing out an creating a large lump on the skin. The lump would go away when i laid down.

There are two types of surgery. The old way where they go in sew you up on the inside and then sew you up on the outside. Then there's the new way where there is a small incision on the outside and they place a piece of mesh or something on the inside. The old way takes longer to heal and at the time of my surgery was tried and true. The new way takes only about two weeks to heal but at the time of my surgery was still untested for the long term.

I went with the old way. My gut feels way better now then it did before the hernia. In fact, the side where I had the surgery is tighter and stronger then the right side.

Talk to your doctor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2004 1:43pm

Style: aikido / judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Avoid surgery if at all possible.

I had a laparascopic hernia repair , aka the "new" way, 7 years ago. I still have less hip mobility on that side of my body due to adhesion / scar tissue. As for the "old way", my dad had one of those as a kid, and still has some issues from it. What Punisher said about the possibility of problems with scrotal nerves is true . . . brr . . .

Western doctors only have a hammer (surgery), so all they see are nails (problems needing surgical repair). This works well for extreme trauma situations, but for health . . .

If its just a muscle wall weakness, rather than already prolapsed and bulging, I would say do your absolute best to heal it naturally. Rest, ice, yoga or pilates to strengthen your pelvic girdle, etc.

But hopefully you just laced your cup too tight ;)
    Last edited by kod; 4/02/2004 1:46pm at .

pwning ninjas since 2004

Posted On:
    4/02/2004 2:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Street Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Edit: Doh! Kod, you edited your post!

Is your training over? Certainly not. Recovery after surgery is usually complete and uncomplicated.

Kod, don't be a moron. Western doctors don't want to do surgery for everything. And no amount of rest, ice, yoga, pilates, or anything other than surgery is going to retract his intestines back into his abdominal cavity, fix the defect, and make them stay there.

Surgery is not harder on younger people. It is far easier because their tissue is stronger and heals quicker.

Your doctor will be able to tell if you have a hernia easily from the physical exam. If you do, he will see if it is reducible or not. If it is, then you can probably just deal with it for awhile and have surgery when it is convenient for you. A word of warning about this though: There are a lot of stupid products out there like "support belts" and such that drug stores try to sell to support a hernia. Every last one of them is worthless and some can even make it worse.

If the hernia is more serious (non-reducible) then you will probably want to have surgery. This is primarily because of the risk of the bowel loop becoming twisted in the hernia and cutting off its own blood supply. If this happens, it becomes infarcted and necroses. This is very painful and potentially fatal as it can cause septic shock. If you are within 24 hours of good medical care when this happens, you will have almost no chance of dying, but the risk prevents you from traveling to remote areas or countries without good medical care.

The surgery nowadays is very simple and quick and usually done outpatient. Your doctor will be able to give you an accurate description of the risks associated with it, but from my understanding, they are pretty low.
    Last edited by GajusCaesar; 4/02/2004 2:12pm at .
    Deluxe247 tells it like it is:

you ninja fags just got owned in a bad way. this thread should go to the classics and mega thread forum due to the sheer size of taebo_master and gajusceaser's penis. (with which they just smacked across these ninja's faces)

This Classic Thread - http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9653&perpage=15&pagenum ber=14

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2004 4:14pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info, folks! I've got an appointment with a doc on Thursday. But I'm already pretty sure it's a hernia based on the research I've done thus far.

I'm more concerned about losing all I've worked hard to gain up to this point from having to lay off training for so long. But it's good to know that ot won't stop me for good.

Thanks again!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/02/2004 5:03pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Punisher, good luck. Let us know how the tournament goes.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    4/02/2004 7:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Surgery is not harder on younger people. It is far easier because their tissue is stronger and heals quicker.
    I'm sure this is true as a general rule, but in my case, with my surgery, my doctor distinctly told me that in his experience younger people experience more pain and generally take more time off before going back to work. He did say it was highly dependent on how "tough" you are and how much pain you can bare. I was just repeating what I was told.

Everything else GajusCaesar said jive completely with what my doctors told me and stuff I found out researching the best course of action.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/03/2004 12:37pm

supporting member
     Style: 7 Star

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you ever sneeze after your surgery? Probably the worst pain I've ever had to endure. Also, in my case I was prescribed percaset as a pain reliever but I only took it once. I didn't like how it messed my head up so I ust delt with the pain.

pwning ninjas since 2004

Posted On:
    4/03/2004 8:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Street Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Punisher
    I'm sure this is true as a general rule, but in my case, with my surgery, my doctor distinctly told me that in his experience younger people experience more pain and generally take more time off before going back to work. He did say it was highly dependent on how "tough" you are and how much pain you can bare. I was just repeating what I was told.

Everything else GajusCaesar said jive completely with what my doctors told me and stuff I found out researching the best course of action.
    I asked a general surgeon about the younger people experiencing more pain with hernia surgery and he said that his patients had sometimes had similar experiences. He said that he chalks it up to younger people being more active and less willing to sit around and let it heal. He did say though that the younger you are, the less your chances of having any complications were.

And according to him, your MA career should not be affected in the least after recovery.
    Deluxe247 tells it like it is:

you ninja fags just got owned in a bad way. this thread should go to the classics and mega thread forum due to the sheer size of taebo_master and gajusceaser's penis. (with which they just smacked across these ninja's faces)

This Classic Thread - http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9653&perpage=15&pagenum ber=14
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast