Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/20/2011 5:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UnwrittenXx View Post
    Jones if fighting machida now. (rashad hand injury)
    and probably, or they'll face rashad evans for title shot(?)
    So does anyone think Machida has even a snowballs chance in that fight??

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/20/2011 12:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cung looked a little pudgy, he was very obviously wary of Silva's power and loathe to get inside and trade with him. Once it became obvious his kicks weren't going to win the day..it was just a matter of time.
    I didn't realize he was 39 yrs. old. I think that's the last we'll see of him.

Main event was pretty good. I don't think it qualifies as fight of the year though. Both Shogun and Hendo were fucking gassed beyond belief the last two rounds.
    At least Bonnar won, I don't think the crowd was right in booing him..he did his best to end the fight by GNP but couldn't sustain a full mount long enough.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Posted On:
    11/20/2011 12:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A better chance than Evans would have, IMHO. Evans is a wrestler at heart but I highly doubt he could hang with Jones in that kind of contest and he doesn't really have the striking finesse to convincingly tag Jones on his feet. Machida, on the other hand, is a highly accurate striker and dances purty enough to be able to avoid wrestlerape for long enough to catch Jones out doing one of his zany SBFs or flying knees or monkey walks or hurricanranas or whatever crazy **** he comes up with next.

I'd still favour Jones heavily, but of the current crop of LHWs at the top, Machida's style would provice the biggest challenge for Jones.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2011 12:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    So does anyone think Machida has even a snowballs chance in that fight??
    Nope, but if he lost, Bones is the champion for the next 10 years. I do not see anyone in the UFC's LHW that can take Bones out now. The only thing is to wait for a good gameplan from Machida's corner or just accept that JJ just became LHW's GSP/Spider.

About Cung vs Wanderlei, sadly Cung is already too old and is not ready for the level of UFC. Still, it was a good moment for Wanderlei and he did two things that I though he forgot how to do: high kick plus clinch+knees. He fighting this way (strategy) is again someone that cannot get into the top level again but he returns to being a fighter that people would like to see.

About Shogun and Hendo:
    10-9
    10-9
    10-9
    9-10
    8-10

47-47, obvious draw. 48-47 is a bullshit. No way that last round was 9-10. It was an one sided beating and deserved 8-10 at least. They gave 10-8 to Bonnar in two rounds and his rounds were way more competitive. If it were a 47-46 decision it would be acceptable if they gave a 10-8 to Hendo in one of the rounds while giving a 8-10 in the last one but 48-47 is an impossible result. Again, is not like the judges know anything about MMA. Dana should seriously complain about the lack of preparation but he says "... but who am I?" in the interview...

Anyway, Shogun is very inconsistent in his cardio (compared to Shogun vs Lyoto, for example) and he fought terribly and was fat. Hendo did not had a very better cardio too but he is 41 for ****'s sake. His steel chin is still incredible, but sadly he cannot take Bones.

What pisses me off is that THIS was the fight that should have been on Fox. If this were on Fox it would be so good for MMA...
    Hendo and Shogun took a good picture when they were going to the hospital though. Shogun with a smashed mouth and Hendo taking anti-inflamatory in the arm.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2011 2:07pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hard to give that last round a 10-8 when Shogun didn't really display effective striking and aggression. The position was dominant, the ground and pound was not--there was no damage to speak of. If keeping the other guy from doing much was the criteria for a 10-8 round, you'd see a lot more 10-8 rounds.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2011 3:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    Hard to give that last round a 10-8 when Shogun didn't really display effective striking and aggression.
    Shogun had over 70 clean strikes in the ground and pound that round. Hendo had not even 10 clean ones. None of them were very heavy ones and heaviness is worth more than number, but 70 against 10 is a huge difference enough to demonstrate the total dominance in that round.

He not only landed 7 times more clean hits but he also landed nearly all of them from the top position. The lack of strong hits is compensated by the position he used to land the hits. Not that it should matter, but it matter by judging rules.

Shogun also did a takedown and mount position control through the whole round which gives him the grappling points.

In terms of "octagon control", Shogun took the fight to the ground to work against the striking skill oh Hendo. He was also tired as hell and taking the fight to the ground and getting the mounted position also worked to his advantage.

The only thing that rests is the aggressiveness but this criteria would be still a win for Shogun because he did attacked the whole round while Hendo just tried to resist as well as he can.

It was totally worth more than a 10-9 to Shogun. The first round which nearly got him knocked out (but ended with him still being able to fight and bring danger) was a 10-9.
    How one round where 90% of it was just one fighter pounding the other isn't a dominated round?
    Last edited by Your_Majesty; 11/20/2011 3:34pm at .

Posted On:
    11/20/2011 3:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    Cung looked a little pudgy, he was very obviously wary of Silva's power and loathe to get inside and trade with him. Once it became obvious his kicks weren't going to win the day..it was just a matter of time.
    I didn't realize he was 39 yrs. old. I think that's the last we'll see of him.

Main event was pretty good. I don't think it qualifies as fight of the year though. Both Shogun and Hendo were fucking gassed beyond belief the last two rounds.
    At least Bonnar won, I don't think the crowd was right in booing him..he did his best to end the fight by GNP but couldn't sustain a full mount long enough.
    I agree Cung did look somewhat out of shape, but I think his kicks were actually the key. He kept switching to his hands after a single hard kick, I think he would have been better to shoot more kicks and leave his weak ass hands and shitty block defense out of the equation. Plus he could have used some better cardio his opening round was good, but he lost his momentum in round 2.

Posted On:
    11/20/2011 4:55pm

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shogun should have finished Hendo.

Still I think it was pretty damn easy to score as a fight and should've have been a draw.

1st,2nd,3rd to Henderson (10-9)
    4th to Shogun (10-9)
    5th to Shogun (10-8)

most would agree with that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2011 5:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kambei Shimada View Post
    Shogun should have finished Hendo.
    In the 5th Hendo let his arm out so many times asking for a submission and he let is slip. He had the opportunity to give a choke so many times that it was impressive that he didn't.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    11/20/2011 6:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I scored it for Hendo. But yeah, I can see why you'd score a draw.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast