Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/20/2011 11:58pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeroo View Post
    Great post. This possibly makes the argument for Judo as the most practical art for self defense, at least from the legal perspective. I might like to be a little less gentle on someone if they have a weapon or are intent on using lethal force though.
    Untill you drop somone on their head or break their neck. It is all risky.

Have a theory on street fight punching.

For boxing I tend to come slightly over the top to get around a persons gloves. So I punch a bit up to down.

Bare knuckle I have seen people do this and root up their hands on the other guys forehead cheeks and other hard bits.

I have seen some guys who almos exclusively throw either uppercuts or sort of forty five degree hooks. Down to up. This seems to ping of the jaw quite nicely and avoids the forehead. And partly the teeth.

Posted On:
    11/21/2011 12:03am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just aim for the ear. Fucking wrecks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2011 1:43pm

Style: karate, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    most people neglect bare-knuckle training on maikiwara (striking post) and on 120# "banana" bag. then again, most people don't put their whole body into a punch, power generating from the big toe then driving the legs into a hip torque then ends connecting through with two knuckles penetrating above the upper teeth or on the jaw socket.

Get too used to gloves then you may get sloppy in a HURRY on accurate contact with no gloves.

One punch to head or hand strike to neck can drop a man to the floor: I've seen it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2011 2:48pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regarding punches to the head in a streetfight, I won't say it's useless. There's a few parts of the head that are the brain's "off switch" and can end a fight early. These are:

• Temple
    • Jaw
    • Nose
    • Behind the head (rabbit punches)

Shots to the top of your head will break your hand, and punches to the mouth often lead to infections.

As has been said elsewhere in this thread, body punches can be just as devastating. A shot to the liver can also end a fight quickly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2011 6:17pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Regarding punches to the head in a streetfight, I won't say it's useless. There's a few parts of the head that are the brain's "off switch" and can end a fight early. These are:

• Temple
    • Jaw
    • Nose
    • Behind the head (rabbit punches)

Shots to the top of your head will break your hand, and punches to the mouth often lead to infections.

As has been said elsewhere in this thread, body punches can be just as devastating. A shot to the liver can also end a fight quickly.
    I wasn't aware that anyone was questioning the effectiveness of punches to the head in a street fight as much as they were questioning things like breaking your own hand while punching, and the legal ramifications. I can tell you right now, The one thing I'd dread if I were to get in a fight is a good clean solid punch in the face. I don't know why. I know body shots can hurt. But psychologically, getting punched in the face is a phobia of mine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2011 3:13am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by musicalmike235 View Post
    I wasn't aware that anyone was questioning the effectiveness of punches to the head in a street fight as much as they were questioning things like breaking your own hand while punching, and the legal ramifications. I can tell you right now, The one thing I'd dread if I were to get in a fight is a good clean solid punch in the face. I don't know why. I know body shots can hurt. But psychologically, getting punched in the face is a phobia of mine.
    I, too, am afraid of someone wrecking my beautiful, beautiful face.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567