Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last
  1. #1
    WhiteShark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    9,167
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Proper procedure when a LEO pulls you over

    Hey I always do something when I get pulled over and I wondered if it helps or just makes cops think I'm a smart ass. As soon as I get over to the side I roll my window down and put both hands out the window. I was told reaching for your registration in the glovebox before the cop gets there is one of the worst things you can do so I tried to think of the opposite.

  2. #2
    Diesel_tke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    4,005
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, cops won't sweat that. Another good place is just to put them on the stearing wheel. You would be surprised how well you can see into someone's car at night when the lights are pointed into the car.
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

  3. #3
    NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Matt Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    9,753
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble Monster View Post
    Hey I always do something when I get pulled over and I wondered if it helps or just makes cops think I'm a smart ass. As soon as I get over to the side I roll my window down and put both hands out the window. I was told reaching for your registration in the glovebox before the cop gets there is one of the worst things you can do so I tried to think of the opposite.
    Like as in fiddling with the sideview or just sticking straight out the window?
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie


    KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

    In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

  4. #4
    jnp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,344
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    Like as in fiddling with the sideview or just sticking straight out the window?
    Hi Matt. Please don't derail this thread any further. It's in the Armory.

    Now as a PSA, I will say that I've had more than one police officer tell me that the safest thing to do is place your hands at the top of the steering wheel where they are easily visible. If you have a gun in the car, remove the magazine, lock the slide in the open position and place them on the dash where they are also easily visible.
    Last edited by jnp; 12/21/2011 12:44pm at .
    Shut the hell up and train.

  5. #5
    PointyShinyBurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,220
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    If you have a gun in the car, remove the magazine, lock the slide in the open position and place them on the dash where they are also easily visible.
    Hang on a sec, the suggestion is that you fiddle with a gun while the guy is walking up behind you?

  6. #6
    jnp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,344
    Shut the hell up and train.

  7. #7
    jnp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,344
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Hang on a sec, the suggestion is that you fiddle with a gun while the guy is walking up behind you?
    I believe it would be a good idea to do so as soon as possible when you get pulled over, preferably before the officer gets out of his car.

    I would definitely not do this if the officer was already out of his car and walking toward mine. However, I'd like to hear what some of our LEO members recommend as I am certainly no expert in this area.
    Shut the hell up and train.

  8. #8
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,445
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble Monster View Post
    Hey I always do something when I get pulled over and I wondered if it helps or just makes cops think I'm a smart ass. As soon as I get over to the side I roll my window down and put both hands out the window. I was told reaching for your registration in the glovebox before the cop gets there is one of the worst things you can do so I tried to think of the opposite.
    Interesting. I keep my hands on the steering wheel until I am told exactly what to do.
    Edit:
    Also, it is totally area dependent as well. I have grabbed my ID, registration and gone in the glove box in specific areas in my town..
    Last edited by It is Fake; 12/21/2011 11:29am at .

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bluegrass
    Posts
    221
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From my experience, I preferred the subject keep as upright as possible, with no furtive movement. Hands on top of steering wheel, as already pointed out. Would not hurt to roll down your window and turn the engine off. Any movement remotely resembling your attempting access to a weapon will automatically result in my weapon being unholstered. Pretty much best to sit and wait for directions from the officer.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    1,138
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Also, it is totally area dependent as well. I have grabbed my ID, registration and gone in the glove box in specific areas in my town..
    Definitely. I've been drawn on for this.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO