Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 5:23pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually you use footwork to be able to use technique at any range. By their very nature these kinds of fights start at distance. So bridging is important. Some people don't like to close or be closed upon so footwork helps maintain your optimum distance as well. As in boxing, if you are not where your opponent thinks you are you have a tactical advantage that can be exploited. You still have to cross the threshold to close the distance but that is a technical question.

Like football players, we don't play games every day because the resulting injuries would put a damper on the training, but the idea would be to ramp up the training drills to closely approximate the situations you might run into and work it from there.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 9:20pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what kind of drills do you use to practice this? We have many kinds of footwork drills, stick drills and distance closing drills. I'm just wondering what is different in the way you do it that makes your system better.

And actually, I played football in high school and rugby in college, and we did practice full speed every day! Full tackle drills, hit drills, scrums, rucks, malls. Also in wrestling and kickboxing.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2012 11:34am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like all personal training, the emphasis is on what you like to do and, if you are smart, what you need to do to improve.

I try to improve my cardio because better cardio is the basis for not puking when you exhaust yourself fighting. Specifically running, then traditional footwork drilling. The triangle stuff which evolves into a shadow boxing like free form movement. Rounds timed on the tires. Not just whacking away as they spin around, but timed precise combinations blending witiks ,powershots, jabs, evasive movements, etc.

We always hear about how the early Filipino boxers positively affected the training methods of American boxing (via their US Navy trainers) it seems appropriate that there would be some kind of "payback".

As far as technical drilling, the "flow patterns" we hear that are dead seemed to have worked for me. Not just the ones you like, but all of them. They also have to be blended with the appropriate footwork, level change, intensity, and variation that exist in all those drills.

If you played tennis and you and your partner served only to the forehand side and never varied the speed, placement, or variety of the shots you may tend to believe that it is a dead game. All that it means is that you and your partner don't know how to play very well.

Posted On:
    1/20/2012 9:35am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    OK. So basically, you practice using footwork to keep long range distance. And then when you find an opening you will crash to get to close range and go for short strikes, take downs, or knife type work?

Then your opponent, like wise, will be trying to use footwork to avoid the crash and crash on his own?

So, I'm guessing that you do a lot of sparring, but how much time is spent doing drills? And what drills are done, if you don't mind my asking.
    Generally footwork and mechanics drills are done during the warm-up, followed by some sort of reaction drill, flow drill, or tactic.

Examples in the warmup will be forward/reverse triangles, wave-in/wave-out, duck, 1's and 2's with high reptition, take-offs.

The sparring varies highly. We're sparring with rattan more than most other groups, and the corpus christi crew spars every session with multiple weapons. My group does it less than others i've seen, with a lot more reaction drills. Only ARMA has the correct mix of ratio of each type of drills for my personal taste, but the local ARMA group doesnt have the technical or teaching skill Leslie does.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/20/2012 10:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post

Examples in the warmup will be forward/reverse triangles, wave-in/wave-out, duck, 1's and 2's with high reptition, take-offs.
    Yeah, these are the exact drills we do at the begining. Then we move to sparring either with gloves, knee/elbow pads, and sticks. Sometimes one person has shorter sticks, or we do knife size, and occasionally some longer ones.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    5/12/2012 5:08am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    seems to me from videos they use alot of knife and when it comes to stick they dont use alot of fancy stuff.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2012 7:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mider View Post
    seems to me from videos they use alot of knife and when it comes to stick they dont use alot of fancy stuff.
    What exactly are you talking about? Who are "they"? And do you have any experience with these people other than videos? Most videos are trying to get across a specific point.
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12