Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 11:09am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pekiti-tirsia

Hi!

I recently decided to get back into MAs after a huge break. I always thought bashing sticks was fun, so decided to do escrima.

A local gym offers pekiti-tirsia. I have done some Doce Pares stuff many years ago, how do the schools / styles differ?

I am probably going to go anyway...I'd just like some info.

Thanks.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 6:19pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the site. I'm sure someone with experience in escrima will be along to advise you.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2011 1:10am

Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a Krav Maga practitioner and just did a 2 day workshop on Pekiti-Tirsia with GrandMaster Tuhon Gaje. I have no experience with escrima.

From what I gathered from my 2 days of Pekiti-Tirsia, it's based on combat techniques using 2 sticks and a knife. It's focus is on geometry: triangles to be exact. Everything from your foot work to your attacks are based on it.

I am guessing that both dojo offer trial classes. You should take advantage and try both places. More than the MA style, the instructor style is vital. Also, maybe sure they offer sparring rather than just drills.

Enjoy,

Posted On:
    11/27/2011 9:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that it's something a lot of people would enjoy. You're right, bashing sticks is fun (bashing knuckles is not, however!). I also was at the seminar put on by Grand Tuhon, and I learned a lot that weekend. I think that you should go to the gym near you and give it a try. What have you got to lose other than an hour or two of your time?

I read a little about Doce Pares escrima and I think that if you enjoyed that, you'd probably like PTK.

Posted On:
    11/27/2011 10:55pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't train PTK or Doce Pares but I've seen a little of both arts. I've been into FMA about 6 years myself. I cant personally explain how the arts differ but most likely they use 12 basic angles of attack. Other than the angles of attack FMA can differ widely. Every now in then a person comes on here and asks if eskrima/kali/arnis is any good, but you have to keep in mind FMA encompasses a lot. Some arts are rather eclectic; single stick, 2 sticks, knife, various exotic bladed weapons, empty hand, dumog (grappling) are all areas that can be trained. I'd try to find the art's curriculum to get a good idea of what to expect.

Posted On:
    12/13/2011 5:23pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm just shy of my Lakan Guro in pekiti tirsia

Pekiti is a style that focuses a lot of using footwork and power strikes to crash into close range, and has been much more mechanically intensive than other FMA that i've trained, and thus has a higher conditioning element. Power strikes, mobility, and crashing entries will make up 90 percent of what you actually use throughout the breadth of the system. There is also a high degree of focus on transfer between impact and edged weapons

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/14/2011 9:03am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just for my own knowledge, what do you mean by crashing entries? Is that striking to get the clench, or is it a specific type of striking?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    12/17/2011 5:42pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Getting to close range for clean headshot/thrusts, grappling, or secondary weapons. "Top dog" in the dog bros tapes plays a pretty prototypical pekiti game. There's a lot of emphasis on covering ground very quickly and spending no time in middle range, and while there is a great deal of long range material, it's sort of like BJJ and guard passing- until you know how to close, threaten the close, and break out from close range, your hand-fighting skills are kind of useless against anyone who knows how to get inside your bubble.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 8:45am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basically, if you are a Pekiti practitioner you will eventually spar with not much equipment because that has evolved as part of the tradition. If you are a Doce Pares practitioner you will eventually spar in a big dress-like padded vest and cage helmet and gloves and not be able to use much of what you have learned in class because of the emphasis on tournament sparring, and it's emphasis on "safety" (no low strikes, almost no thrusts, no punyos etc.)

Other that that, I am a PT practitioner and when I spar I find that the tone of the fight is often set by the energy that you "crash" or "bridge the gap" with. If you have adequate momentum and a plan where you can take advantage of the opportunity, the fight can easily go your way. Even if it ends in a clinch that same momentum can take take you over and put you on top in a controlling position. Softening up the exterior shell with power shots can often take the steam out of a reluctant adversary as well.

As said, footwork is very important. More so than many admit. You don't have to do the full range of PT footwork to fight, but then don't expect to have the reactions necessary to take advantage of the close quarter skills trained in the system either. The stuff that works, works because of the training, footwork include. Other than that, have fun.

On a side note. I have observed that many FMA based schools have all but eliminated footwork training as part of what they do. The fighters that come from those schools quickly adopt a boxing type footwork to take it's place when they encounter mobile fighters with good footwork.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 10:12am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK. So basically, you practice using footwork to keep long range distance. And then when you find an opening you will crash to get to close range and go for short strikes, take downs, or knife type work?

Then your opponent, like wise, will be trying to use footwork to avoid the crash and crash on his own?

So, I'm guessing that you do a lot of sparring, but how much time is spent doing drills? And what drills are done, if you don't mind my asking.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast