Page 3 of 17 First 123456713 ... Last
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    38
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    you need to realize just because a few people are asses does not make them all asses.
    That's where it gets started. They're not a few, the majority of western population believes in these myths. Make a survey handout, go out on a crowded street and ask random pedestrians. You will be suprised that romantic bullcrap has already become "a fact that everyone knows". And guess what, why do we have so much curators, fencers and historians who actually promote myths?
    There: http://www.thearma.org/essays/weights.htm
    Just read the 'expert opinions'. Not a few asses, but apparently our whole culture is based on "West = barbarian".

    Yeah, just movies... I'd like to know why Mel Gibsons movies received so much criticism, he tried it at least. Especially "Apocalypto" was blamed by Maya experts to be historically inaccurate and not giving a proper depiction of Mayan culture. Maybe it WAS inaccurate, but none of the Medieval experts ever blamed "13th Warrior", or such crap like History Channel's "Dark Ages"! What HC actually made was kinda pseudohistorical horror show utilizing all the "barbaric stereotypes" - and declared it all as historical accurate without a hint of shame!

    Where are experts when you need them? Why do they loudly criticize bovine excrement concerning Mayas, Japan, China, Near East, Nazis, American Civil War - but no one yells if medieval Europe gets bullshitted? That's weird...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    So this is a thread about how kenning is a hysterical ninny, right?
    The majority of peolpe in the West are convinced that our ancestors were dumb stinky jerks unable to invent anything. Experts do nothing against it or they perpetuate it even further - Stephen Turnbull and David Nicolle can be named there. Am I hysterical???

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    273
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenning View Post
    The majority of peolpe in the West are convinced that our ancestors were dumb stinky jerks unable to invent anything. Experts do nothing against it or they perpetuate it even further - Stephen Turnbull and David Nicolle can be named there. Am I hysterical???
    Three question marks? Yes, you are a little hysterical.

  3. #23
    judoka_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,611
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenning View Post
    What HC actually made was kinda pseudohistorical horror show utilizing all the "barbaric stereotypes" - and declared it all as historical accurate without a hint of shame!
    Duh! Its the History Channel.

  4. #24
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,313
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenning View Post
    But everyone feels free to talk bullshit about Europe, no one cares if white Europeans are insulted. I'm white. I'm German. And I have the right to get insulted if some ignorants put my culture down undeservingly. I dont wanna hear stupid myths, I dont wanna be regarded as a "barbarian" and I have the right to practise the swordsmanship of my choice!! That's it.
    Civilized mediterranean mode on:

    You are white and german... you are a textbook barbarian. Deal with it.
    Things about Jits: How do Armbar 2.0

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    2,579
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenning View Post
    That's where it gets started. They're not a few, the majority of western population believes in these myths. Make a survey handout, go out on a crowded street and ask random pedestrians. You will be suprised that romantic bullcrap has already become "a fact that everyone knows". And guess what, why do we have so much curators, fencers and historians who actually promote myths?
    There: http://www.thearma.org/essays/weights.htm
    Just read the 'expert opinions'. Not a few asses, but apparently our whole culture is based on "West = barbarian".

    Yeah, just movies... I'd like to know why Mel Gibsons movies received so much criticism, he tried it at least. Especially "Apocalypto" was blamed by Maya experts to be historically inaccurate and not giving a proper depiction of Mayan culture. Maybe it WAS inaccurate, but none of the Medieval experts ever blamed "13th Warrior", or such crap like History Channel's "Dark Ages"! What HC actually made was kinda pseudohistorical horror show utilizing all the "barbaric stereotypes" - and declared it all as historical accurate without a hint of shame!

    Where are experts when you need them? Why do they loudly criticize bovine excrement concerning Mayas, Japan, China, Near East, Nazis, American Civil War - but no one yells if medieval Europe gets bullshitted? That's weird...


    The majority of peolpe in the West are convinced that our ancestors were dumb stinky jerks unable to invent anything. Experts do nothing against it or they perpetuate it even further - Stephen Turnbull and David Nicolle can be named there. Am I hysterical???
    History is somewhat open to interpretation of texts and artifacts. And as far as experts go you will get as many different opinions as experts asked. And the term barbarian you keep using, well from my understanding it was a roman term for foreigner so get over it.

  6. #26
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,313
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    well from my understanding it was a roman term for foreigner so get over it.
    It's a greek term.
    Things about Jits: How do Armbar 2.0

  7. #27
    jnp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,344
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I've always been proud of being a no-good dirty barbarian.

    I also try hard not to concern myself with what ignorant people say on or offline. Something I think the OP would do well to think about.

    There will always be idiots. Most of us would do well enough not to join them.
    Shut the hell up and train.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    2,579
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    It's a greek term.
    Well the Romans probably stole it like most of their culture lol.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    canada, ottawa
    Posts
    32
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People believe in ninjas and the fighting prowess of shaolin monks too, get over it.

  10. #30
    Rivington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    4,803
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenning View Post
    The majority of peolpe in the West are convinced that our ancestors were dumb stinky jerks unable to invent anything. Experts do nothing against it or they perpetuate it even further - Stephen Turnbull and David Nicolle can be named there. Am I hysterical???
    Yes. And a ninny. Also, "dumb stinky jerks"—are you nine years old, son?

Page 3 of 17 First 123456713 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO