Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 5:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    you need to realize just because a few people are asses does not make them all asses.
    That's where it gets started. They're not a few, the majority of western population believes in these myths. Make a survey handout, go out on a crowded street and ask random pedestrians. You will be suprised that romantic bullcrap has already become "a fact that everyone knows". And guess what, why do we have so much curators, fencers and historians who actually promote myths?
    There: http://www.thearma.org/essays/weights.htm
    Just read the 'expert opinions'. Not a few asses, but apparently our whole culture is based on "West = barbarian".

Yeah, just movies... I'd like to know why Mel Gibsons movies received so much criticism, he tried it at least. Especially "Apocalypto" was blamed by Maya experts to be historically inaccurate and not giving a proper depiction of Mayan culture. Maybe it WAS inaccurate, but none of the Medieval experts ever blamed "13th Warrior", or such crap like History Channel's "Dark Ages"! What HC actually made was kinda pseudohistorical horror show utilizing all the "barbaric stereotypes" - and declared it all as historical accurate without a hint of shame!

Where are experts when you need them? Why do they loudly criticize bovine excrement concerning Mayas, Japan, China, Near East, Nazis, American Civil War - but no one yells if medieval Europe gets bullshitted? That's weird...

Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    So this is a thread about how kenning is a hysterical ninny, right?
    The majority of peolpe in the West are convinced that our ancestors were dumb stinky jerks unable to invent anything. Experts do nothing against it or they perpetuate it even further - Stephen Turnbull and David Nicolle can be named there. Am I hysterical???

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 7:40am

Style: JJJ/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenning View Post
    The majority of peolpe in the West are convinced that our ancestors were dumb stinky jerks unable to invent anything. Experts do nothing against it or they perpetuate it even further - Stephen Turnbull and David Nicolle can be named there. Am I hysterical???
    Three question marks? Yes, you are a little hysterical.

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 7:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What HC actually made was kinda pseudohistorical horror show utilizing all the "barbaric stereotypes" - and declared it all as historical accurate without a hint of shame!
    Duh! Its the History Channel.

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 8:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But everyone feels free to talk bullshit about Europe, no one cares if white Europeans are insulted. I'm white. I'm German. And I have the right to get insulted if some ignorants put my culture down undeservingly. I dont wanna hear stupid myths, I dont wanna be regarded as a "barbarian" and I have the right to practise the swordsmanship of my choice!! That's it.
    Civilized mediterranean mode on:

You are white and german... you are a textbook barbarian. Deal with it.

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 9:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's where it gets started. They're not a few, the majority of western population believes in these myths. Make a survey handout, go out on a crowded street and ask random pedestrians. You will be suprised that romantic bullcrap has already become "a fact that everyone knows". And guess what, why do we have so much curators, fencers and historians who actually promote myths?
    There: http://www.thearma.org/essays/weights.htm
    Just read the 'expert opinions'. Not a few asses, but apparently our whole culture is based on "West = barbarian".

Yeah, just movies... I'd like to know why Mel Gibsons movies received so much criticism, he tried it at least. Especially "Apocalypto" was blamed by Maya experts to be historically inaccurate and not giving a proper depiction of Mayan culture. Maybe it WAS inaccurate, but none of the Medieval experts ever blamed "13th Warrior", or such crap like History Channel's "Dark Ages"! What HC actually made was kinda pseudohistorical horror show utilizing all the "barbaric stereotypes" - and declared it all as historical accurate without a hint of shame!

Where are experts when you need them? Why do they loudly criticize bovine excrement concerning Mayas, Japan, China, Near East, Nazis, American Civil War - but no one yells if medieval Europe gets bullshitted? That's weird...

History is somewhat open to interpretation of texts and artifacts. And as far as experts go you will get as many different opinions as experts asked. And the term barbarian you keep using, well from my understanding it was a roman term for foreigner so get over it.

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 9:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    well from my understanding it was a roman term for foreigner so get over it.
    It's a greek term.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 9:33am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I've always been proud of being a no-good dirty barbarian.

I also try hard not to concern myself with what ignorant people say on or offline. Something I think the OP would do well to think about.

There will always be idiots. Most of us would do well enough not to join them.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 9:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    It's a greek term.
    Well the Romans probably stole it like most of their culture lol.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 4:32pm

Style: Rhetoric

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People believe in ninjas and the fighting prowess of shaolin monks too, get over it.

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 4:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. And a ninny. Also, "dumb stinky jerks"—are you nine years old, son?
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast