11/18/2011 2:59pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Just buy one of these:
    It may not be a sword exactly but it is cheap and does cut good
    Coincidentally I already have one of those.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/18/2011 3:18pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Coincidentally I already have one of those.
    Maybe it's time for a katana machete:

$40.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2011 3:48pm

Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenning View Post
    OK, I switch to German....

Das Gewicht der Waffen und Rüstungen kann man durchaus im Museum oder in der Schule erfahren, wenn der Lehrer mal darüber bescheid weiß, aber das ist nur ein kleiner Teil des dazugehörigen Wissens.
    He agrees that simple data-knowledge on weaponry and armory , i.e. their weight, can be aquired in museum and school. As I stated.

Was lehrt dich denn das Museum (Ausflüge, Ruinen, Mittelaltermärkte) bezüglich der Schmiedetechnik? Wie wurde denn mit den Waffen gekämpft? Die meisten Kuratoren wissen die Kinge geschichtlich einzuschätzen, ihre Maße, Gewicht, kunsthistorische Bedeutung, dann hörts aber auf. Museen wie das Klingenmuseum in Solingen sind eher Ausnahme als die Regel.
    he questions, that there is little to learn about (historical) forging or (historical) way to fight, in museum, reenactment, etc.
    I would agree here to, but cannot see, how this was part of the discussion.

Na, wie wurde denn so eine Klinge aus sagen wir mal 13 Jh. geschmiedet? Wie wurde sie denn eingesetzt? Wieviel wog sie denn? Klingenhärte? Stahlanalysen?
    he is asking how a blad was forged (1), i.e. in the 13.th century, how it was used (2), the weight (3), the blades thickness (4), steel analysis(5).

I have no books on that at hand, not my field of interest anyway. just what I recall. be my guest.
    1. short answer impossible to me, and I am not an expert on this anyway
    2. besides old handbooks, noone knows. everybody that watched it is dead now. my guess: fast, stabbling, cutting and tricking. laying on speed.
    3. for a singlehanded sword, 700 - 1200 g (2 to 3 pound)
    4. sharp end 3 mm, other end 7 mm
    5. I have no idea, nor have I noticed it to be on topic.

Stell diese Fragen mal den "erleuchteten allgemeinwissenden Museumsbesuchern", da wirst du dein blaues Wunder erleben. Exakt diesselben Fragen bezüglich der japanischen Schwertern würde wirklich jeder Depp beantworten, aber bei Europa hörts auf.
    He's complaining, museum-visitors with basic education won't be able to answer those questions for european swords, but for japanese swords every moron could answer them.

I doubt the answers on japanese swords will be so much more accurate than on any other historical weapon. My guess is, japanese experts ears are going to bleed for the crap people talk about katana no matter what.
    well enough answers on european swords seem more likely to me.

Wirklich, ich wills hören. Was ist denn dein Stand des Wissens? Du scheinst doch einer dieser Erleuchteten zu sein, die Fragen stehen oben. Wenn als Antwort wieder mal nur Beleidigungen kommen und nichts konkretes, dann ist die Diskussion zu Ende.
    He asks for my enlighted answers on that matter, like it matters. Me calling him without answering would terminate that conversation.
    So far I did. Stil, this is no school-test. my point IS NOT about nerdish historic-tool-data. I made my point clear and there evidence is still lacking. and now brat, do me that favor and deliver evidence on what you claim or cut that part.

*No bad words, racism or other harmful ideas were expressed in this text.
    Confirmed.

Posted On:
    11/18/2011 3:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    O brave Sir Kenning, take pity on us, and use your sharp, well made European sword to slay this great dragon of ignorance that has been terrorizing the masses!
    Not a dragon, it is a giant.

Fucking ignorant gringo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2011 4:00pm

Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Almost forgot:

Dear kenning-****
    this is not about other art-practitioneers, be it chinese, japanese, etc.
    this is about you and your rubbish statements. you duck answering questions, propably not even reading them, playing drama and heavily exeggerating to the point of irritation.

this is an english-speaking-forum, try to keep it that way, please.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2011 4:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Homernoid View Post
    he questions, that there is little to learn about (historical) forging or (historical) way to fight, in museum, reenactment, etc.
    I would agree here to, but cannot see, how this was part of the discussion.
    Since my first post it was all about weight, length, sharpness, forging techique, steel quality and fighting finesse. Numerous links included.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homernoid View Post
    my point IS NOT about nerdish historic-tool-data. I made my point clear and there evidence is still lacking. and now brat, do me that favor and deliver evidence on what you claim or cut that part.
    1. All the people I spoke to and who revealed their ignorance, pretty difficult to give a proof there, since you have to know all of them personally.
    2. Respected authors like Stephen Turnbull and David Nicolle write in favor of East. Random Katana fan sites full of crap. And of course bullshit shows (myth #8) on TV.
    3. If you ever visit a "Mittelaltermarkt" (= Rennaisance Fair) ask all the guys with swords about weapons 'n stuff, and of course some visitors. There you'll see.

OK, that's it, Im fukin retire. If some CMA practs wanna believe in inferiority of Europe, believe what you want. And not be shocked when you discover that Hollywood movies and Anime are bullsrap, as well as "expert opinions" from Peter Woodward or Alan Baker.

No more trolling and OFFTOPIC there.

Posted On:
    11/18/2011 5:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since my first post it was all about weight, length, sharpness, forging techique, steel quality and fighting finesse. Numerous links included.

1. All the people I spoke to and who revealed their ignorance, pretty difficult to give a proof there, since you have to know all of them personally.
    2. Respected authors like Stephen Turnbull and David Nicolle write in favor of East. Random Katana fan sites full of crap. And of course bullshit shows (myth #8) on TV.
    3. If you ever visit a "Mittelaltermarkt" (= Rennaisance Fair) ask all the guys with swords about weapons 'n stuff, and of course some visitors. There you'll see.

OK, that's it, Im fukin retire. If some CMA practs wanna believe in inferiority of Europe, believe what you want. And not be shocked when you discover that Hollywood movies and Anime are bullsrap, as well as "expert opinions" from Peter Woodward or Alan Baker.

No more trolling and OFFTOPIC there.
    Who here said anything about European swords being inferior?? Hell I pretty much said the opposite. At this point you are just:

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/18/2011 5:33pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If some CMA practs wanna believe in inferiority of Europe, believe what you want.
    Why do you keep bringing up the CMA thing?

Posted On:
    11/18/2011 5:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Europe surrenders again!

Posted On:
    11/18/2011 5:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hai Guyz,

My name is Kenning and I came from Germany to launch a blitzkrieg on an argument none of you have made.

What's that?

None of you are actually building the strawman I want to attack.

Entschuldigung, but I must rant at this strawman I'm so determined to argue with, even if it means making up my own arguments to argue against myself.
    Kenning, shouldn't you be out occupying a Mediterranean tax ministry telling them how to pay their taxes and not be slovenly Katzenfresser.