218358 Bullies, 7343 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 91 to 100 of 165
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 ... LastLast
  1. Bneterasedmynam is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    1,956

    Posted On:
    11/17/2011 8:54pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Then you LARP. Period.

    No aliveness = LARP.
    I would go one further and say sword training in general is LARPing. There is really no pratical use for a sword other than for use of fun. Now don't get me wrong I have no problem with LARPers as long as they admit their LARPing. I can, yes I have trained with swords for years even in the OPs style, and yes it was LARPing. I say that because even though I have sparred I have no intention of using a sword for any other purpose than fun training. Any other option would be just plain delusional. So there's the OPs choice LARP or delusion.
  2. Petter is offline

    12th level logic wielder

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,964

    Posted On:
    11/17/2011 9:03pm


     Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    I would go one further and say sword training in general is LARPing. There is really no pratical use for a sword other than for use of fun. Now don't get me wrong I have no problem with LARPers as long as they admit their LARPing. I can, yes I have trained with swords for years even in the OPs style, and yes it was LARPing. I say that because even though I have sparred I have no intention of using a sword for any other purpose than fun training. Any other option would be just plain delusional. So there's the OPs choice LARP or delusion.
    By that token any martial art is a LARP, really. I mean, what’s the difference between my BJJ practice and my rapier practice? I do both for fun and fitness/physical activity; I practice both with aliveness in such a way as to obtain practically applicable skills within their respective contexts as best I can (though as it happens, the context for practical application of rapier skills is even more remote, by a wide margin); I’ve competed (though just once yet) in BJJ and I may at some point compete in a rapier tournament…but neither is a preparation for life-or-death struggle or anything. What, then, is the difference?
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”
  3. Bneterasedmynam is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    1,956

    Posted On:
    11/17/2011 11:23pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    By that token any martial art is a LARP, really. I mean, what’s the difference between my BJJ practice and my rapier practice? I do both for fun and fitness/physical activity; I practice both with aliveness in such a way as to obtain practically applicable skills within their respective contexts as best I can (though as it happens, the context for practical application of rapier skills is even more remote, by a wide margin); I’ve competed (though just once yet) in BJJ and I may at some point compete in a rapier tournament…but neither is a preparation for life-or-death struggle or anything. What, then, is the difference?
    I would say that most martial arts are in fact LARPing to some extent. Although I would say BJJ at least has practicality. At least in my opinion sword arts are just impractical, however it certainly becomes more practical if the training is for sport. But yes for the most part I would say martial arts are in fact LARPing. The big difference I would say is use, swords are impractical for use other than base sport. Martial arts at least have a small use for defense granted a limited one.
    Last edited by Bneterasedmynam; 11/17/2011 11:27pm at . Reason: I'm forget sometimes
  4. Petter is offline

    12th level logic wielder

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,964

    Posted On:
    11/17/2011 11:24pm


     Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    I would say that most martial arts are in fact LARPing to some extent. Although I would say BJJ at least has practicality. At least in my opinion sword arts are just impractical, however it certainly becomes more practical if the training is for sport. But yes for the most part I would say martial arts are in fact LARPing.
    So basically you’re arguing that swordfighting falls in the same category as all other martial arts, then.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”
  5. Bneterasedmynam is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    1,956

    Posted On:
    11/18/2011 12:27am


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    So basically you’re arguing that swordfighting falls in the same category as all other martial arts, then.
    Yes and no, I see sword training as being less plausible for use other than fun over martial arts or at least some martial arts. As a self defense art I say it's useless. And taking it seriously as anything more than baton twirling is self delusion. Now if it's for tourney sparring then it has at least more practicality. But for the most part I take it as being LARPing.
  6. bobyclumsyninja is offline
    bobyclumsyninja's Avatar

    :)

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    7,009

    Posted On:
    11/18/2011 1:06am

    supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    I would go one further and say sword training in general is LARPing. There is really no pratical use for a sword other than for use of fun. Now don't get me wrong I have no problem with LARPers as long as they admit their LARPing. I can, yes I have trained with swords for years even in the OPs style, and yes it was LARPing. I say that because even though I have sparred I have no intention of using a sword for any other purpose than fun training. Any other option would be just plain delusional. So there's the OPs choice LARP or delusion.
    I took the OP to be about misconceptions or falsehoods about European Metallurgy and blade quality, when compared to perceptions of Japanese/eastern swordmaking.

    I didn't take it that he was complaining the techniques were bad, or that he had the real deadly. Perhaps I should re-read it. I'd assumed he was trying to fight the stereotype of crappy or dull European weaponry when compared to the east.

    @Kenning. Am I reading this right, that you're a history buff, who also likes to chop **** w/ swords in the back yard? Your rant seemed well sourced to my eyes.

    Wasn't this essay about the inaccurate view of history, and not that the ninjers don't have the r3al fighting skills, when compared to yours?
  7. bobyclumsyninja is offline
    bobyclumsyninja's Avatar

    :)

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    7,009

    Posted On:
    11/18/2011 1:12am

    supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ich bin ein sehr dummer Mensch, ist aber nicht die Frage, ob im Hinterhof Hacken ist LAPRing, eine Entgleisung?

    Ich studierte Deutsch, für 4 Jahre. Ich lerne mehr von Google übersetzen in 2 Tagen, als Frau Klenk. Die Internets gewinnt erneut.
  8. Homernoid is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    130

    Posted On:
    11/18/2011 3:59am


     Style: Taijiquan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenning View Post
    First: In your profile I read "Taijiquan". Why am I not suprised? You're surely one of these Kungfu-heads who is especially prone to Asia-wankery.
    idiot, otherwise be my guest, I'm near Frankfurt/Main.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenning View Post
    Second: you can doubt what you want since you're not a HEMA practitioner. Have you ever asked any people what they really think of medieval swords? I did. I encontered countless of their prejudices and "half-knowledge",
    anecdotal evidence is none, moron
    Quote Originally Posted by kenning View Post
    so if you think I over-react here just make a survey by yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenning View Post
    Wankhead.
    you claimed bullshit, now deal with it: prove what you claim or shut up
    Quote Originally Posted by kenning View Post
    Third: Ever watched some "Galileo Mystery", especially their Knight vs Samurai episode? You should, really, a nice bullshit show where blunt stage combat swords are compared to a sharp chinese katanaS. You'll like it, wankhead.
    its in tv, of course. like pokemon, mr. ed, or other crap. spare me. idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenning View Post
    ""kenning's heavy exaggerated presumptions"" - speak with people, read some books on medieval swords, expert opinions, and then you can try it again. It's all about knowing, not assuming. What you do, wanker, is simply assuming "it can not be that bad..." Stop wanking and talk with people!
    you didn't get it.
    I know perfectly well, how medieval weaponry was like. your exaggerations are in that people-believe-stupid-things-area. just because you believe it, used to believe it or your surrounding, doesn't make it believed by other people, let alone any majority or even all.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenning View Post
    Funny how quick all the JMA and CMA guys are pissed off when "Europe's inferiority" is debunked the hard way.
    moron.

    oh, and your reaction about your **** does prove you to be a drama queen.
  9. Homernoid is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    130

    Posted On:
    11/18/2011 4:02am


     Style: Taijiquan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    You threw me off a bit, calling him a cun7. That's a fairly extreme insult, but perhaps not so auf Deutsch.
    not that extreme of an insult.
    beside this, it may be true.

    beside this, it depends on your translation, of course.
  10. kenning is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    38

    Posted On:
    11/18/2011 6:07am


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Homernoid View Post
    I know perfectly well, how medieval weaponry was like. your exaggerations are in that people-believe-stupid-things-area.
    anecdotal evidence is none, moron
    you claimed bullshit, now deal with it: prove what you claim or shut up
    You know best, I talk bullcrap, right? Fine, then would you please inform me what are your sorces. Do you even know who Ewart Oakeshott was? Alan Williams? Jan Petersen? Manfred Sachse? Ever heard of Johannes Liechtenauer, Fiore dei Liberi, Manuscript I.33? Give me some proof that you actually know something about western weaponry. I gave plenty of links in this thread, now its on you...
    PS: "idiot, otherwise be my guest, I'm near Frankfurt/Main." - a clear sign of poor argumentation. I do not accept martial challenges from anonymous guys on Internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    @Kenning. Am I reading this right, that you're a history buff, who also likes to chop **** w/ swords in the back yard? Your rant seemed well sourced to my eyes.

    Wasn't this essay about the inaccurate view of history, and not that the ninjers don't have the r3al fighting skills, when compared to yours?
    Exactly!
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.