Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/12/2011 12:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Various Questions On Sparring

I have a few questions on karate sparring.
    -First off, what is a leg check? Is it when you catch and hold your opponent's leg?
    -Second, is it safe to sweep your opponent's leg while holding the other one or will it leave me wide open for a strike to the face/upper body?
    -Third, what are some ways to prevent myself from being taken to the ground. I suck at ground fighting and when I do take someone to the ground, they always get the dominant position after a few seconds.
    -Finally, how can I make myself more agile. I have fought two guys in my dojo who can get around my guard very fast. One of them is really small and I'm about a foot or more taller than him, so that could be the reason. The other guy is about my height and slips by my attacks easily. They are both a few belts higher than me but I want to be able to at least keep up with them.

Posted On:
    11/22/2011 5:28am

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SeroX View Post
    -First off, what is a leg check? Is it when you catch and hold your opponent's leg?
    -Second, is it safe to sweep your opponent's leg while holding the other one or will it leave me wide open for a strike to the face/upper body?
    -Third, what are some ways to prevent myself from being taken to the ground. I suck at ground fighting and when I do take someone to the ground, they always get the dominant position after a few seconds.
    -Finally, how can I make myself more agile. I have fought two guys in my dojo who can get around my guard very fast. One of them is really small and I'm about a foot or more taller than him, so that could be the reason. The other guy is about my height and slips by my attacks easily. They are both a few belts higher than me but I want to be able to at least keep up with them.
    1. Yup
    2. Yup - They can't generate much power with their legs in the air
    3. Depending on what you train: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=91604
    4. See #3. Small people are usually faster than 'big' or at least strong people. Something about a higher amount of muscle means they require more blood and are therefore slower or at least have worse cardio. But really you just need to train more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka_UK
    Judo is the PC to Sambo's Mac.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2012 7:24pm

Style: Fire and Water Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1 I've never called that a check. Probably semantics but to me a check is simply reducing the weight balanced on the leg being kicked. This significantly reduces the damage taken as the leg will now absorb the blow vs..taking it full impact.
    Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    1/26/2012 7:43pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It could mean the well-known Muay Thai shin block, perhaps, where you raise your shin as a shield to check an incoming round kick.

-Third, what are some ways to prevent myself from being taken to the ground.
    Learn stand-up grappling: Train wrestling, judo, that sort of thing. It may also help to learn some basic groundwork to at the very least learn to stand back up.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/26/2012 7:48pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A leg check is where you pick up your knee to block a kick aimed at the leg. The one where you grab the leg is a kick catch.

Posted On:
    1/27/2012 2:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you face punch double jab and then move. That shoud keep smaller people out. It is not that you are less agile. You are doing something fundimentily wrong.

There are all sorts fo good ways to spoil a takedown. But you have to train them right. Find some wrestling.

Posted On:
    1/27/2012 2:14am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricw View Post
    1 I've never called that a check. Probably semantics but to me a check is simply reducing the weight balanced on the leg being kicked. This significantly reduces the damage taken as the leg will now absorb the blow vs..taking it full impact.
    Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
    I really dont like doing that. I will ground my leg to take the impact. stops the leg getting contorted into a funny position and mabye really injured. Stops you turning around or shying off .

I dont think I have seen the top thai guys do that either. unless they were fighting mourice smith.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2012 8:06am

Style: Jhoon Rhee Tae-Kwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that most of we folken that study striking arts hated the first 150 times we were on the ground. You should really spend some more time there. I'd hope that if you asked the advanced belts would work with you on the ground without smashing your face in. Also even though someones punches aren't as powerful with one foot in the air they don't exactly feel good when someone has a good hold on you and peppers your face like cajun cooking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2012 12:10am

Style: Fire and Water Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't mind taking 1 or 2 but honestly taking leg kick after leg kick is just going to imobilize your footwork. Nobody that I know can routinely take full on leg shots over and over and still operate close to 100%. I think you are much more likely to take a serious injury grounding your leg vs checking. The downside to checking for me was messing up my base and comprimising the counter.

Posted On:
    1/28/2012 2:56am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricw View Post
    I don't mind taking 1 or 2 but honestly taking leg kick after leg kick is just going to imobilize your footwork. Nobody that I know can routinely take full on leg shots over and over and still operate close to 100%. I think you are much more likely to take a serious injury grounding your leg vs checking. The downside to checking for me was messing up my base and comprimising the counter.
    There are better defences to leg kicks than trying to hide your leg away when you get kicked.

Checking and sprawling is one.(Sort of sprawling. Jumping back with both feet and re setting. Probably called something cool) One I do, is not enter into kick battles. If I kick I will also punch. If they kick I will I will punch. It makes every kick battle a boxing match. Which I am more equiped to handle.

Learnt this after sparring with a much better kicker than me. You just can't avoid them at distance. That is why they are better.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast