Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2011 2:43pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm almost always shorter than my sparring partners (at ~5'7") and my go-to approach is to slip forward and to the outside while throwing a bodyshot. If they're othrodox, when they throw the left, I slip ahead and to the right with a stiff left to the body. If they're lefty, when they throw the right jab, I slip ahead and to the left with either a stiff right to the body. If you get outside and close like that, it's relatively easy to pivot back toward the center and hit them with an overhand from a dead angle. I practiced this without the counterpunch initially; I would have my partners throw the jab and I would try to slip and close as fast as possible, to smother any chance they had to continue throwing. They would have to reset their position to get a bead on me again, and that's a great time to be hitting them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2011 7:10pm

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I tried every single suggestion and guess what? Most of them worked! The footwork suggested by WhiteShark in particular I found particularly effective but every input is appreciated....thank you :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2011 9:19am

Style: MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not boxing, I do Muay Thai but what I generally do is to just keep moving sideways, man.

I can probably get a bunch of attacks in because the other guy is going to think I'm going to just move again. lol.

I'm 5'4". Most of the punches that get in are casting punch, cross to the body, lunging jab and the double jab is extremely helpful.

Anyway, I dug up a bunch of stuff you might want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12