Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2011 8:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ouch, this video makes me sad! No, JJ doesn't have to look like this. If they don't train anything else and you're not having fun with it...well, I wouldn't go again.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    11/11/2011 2:36am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu Swordfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the sequence he's describing may just be blocking, overhooking, and then throwing with osotogari.
    We did stuff like this a fair amount in my old BJJ club; it was a decent enough way to introduce basic takedowns/etc to noobs.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/11/2011 3:01am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: in transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    By straight up in the air do you mean like this?

Also, did the name of the school contain any of the following:
    - Freestyle;
    - Combat;
    - Street Defense;
    - Modern;
    - Real?
    Self-Defence JuJitsu, and yes the freddie mercury block. I've been hit with a hook many times and not once did I think of throwing my arm directly up like some sort of nazi salute. Where do these guys get off teaching this stuff?

Posted On:
    11/11/2011 5:40am

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    I think the sequence he's describing may just be blocking, overhooking, and then throwing with osotogari.
    We did stuff like this a fair amount in my old BJJ club; it was a decent enough way to introduce basic takedowns/etc to noobs.
    I know the one you're talking about, the first one we teach to beginner's is essentially the same but we do a half clinch instead of an overhook* (though I do like the overhook idea). Though we do it from 'haymakers' instead of hooks. Far more practical than what I think he is describing.

I also know the 'walk around' movements he's talking about. Firstly they should only be done for a straight punch (not a jab though because if they're not committed you'll never get round). And secondly would never teach it to e beginner as the footwork and timing are complex at best and it's hard enough to get n00bs to block properly to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by jasperroe View Post
    Self-Defence JuJitsu, and yes the freddie mercury block. I've been hit with a hook many times and not once did I think of throwing my arm directly up like some sort of nazi salute. Where do these guys get off teaching this stuff?
    The problem with jujitsu is that, due to there being so many schools/styles/variations that there is no single/major governing body or authority on jujitsu. Nor a trademark or ip on the use of the term. This makes it entirely too easy for anyone to call whatever it is that they do jujitsu.

Edit
    * sorry, the beers are clouding my transliteration. The move I was describing finishes with an o-ouchi-gari. The overhook to o-soto-gari is taught later.
    Last edited by cualltaigh; 11/11/2011 6:22am at .

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    11/11/2011 6:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Except the correct block is answering the phone, not reaching straight up, and they're coming forwards to try and hit you so an immediate o-soto means you'd have to over-power them, which is not jiu jitsu. Also, you should be doing cover-and-crash to an underhook so you can look for their back, throwing off an overhook is an advanced manoeuvre that has no place in a basic fighting curriculum.

(All in my not-particularly humble opinion, of course)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12