11/21/2002 3:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, never cross the hooks.

"Blood sugar suckerfish is my dish.
    How many pieces do you wish ?"
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Posted On:
    11/21/2002 3:48pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Donkey: could you explain the jargon in the armbar counter?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2002 4:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay. This is assuming the guy has got the arm and is ABOUT to extend it. Once he does, you are up **** creek with a terd for a paddle.

Grab your hands together, and make sure that you are on top over your opponent while he's going for the armbar.

Lean your weight on him so his shoulders are pinned to the ground.

Pull your elbow out from between his legs

Stomp on his face for added fun and enjoyment, but don't let your weight off him until your arm is free.

A.K.A MEAT

Titan

Posted On:
    11/21/2002 4:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watch you don't leave yourself open for an omaplata on the other arm.

>Stomp on his face for added fun and enjoyment

Sicko :-)

"Blood sugar suckerfish is my dish.
    How many pieces do you wish ?"
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/21/2002 7:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazillian Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >>Against rear naked choke.

You are probably screwed but grab the arm that is pushing the back of your head and get it out of there to relieve pressure and do what SLJ said.

If you're not talking about competition...

In my version of this, you jam your hand opposite to the one he's choking with (i.e. he has his right arm choking you, you use your left hand), hand under the choking elbow and try to get your chin behind your hand. Meanwhile, you reach around in front of your face with the other arm, grab the last 2 fingers (or just the pinky if it's all you can get)and yank them toward his elbow and back around to the front of your face, turning into the choking arm as you do it. You'll snap his fingers and release the pressure from the back of your head, and he'll probably let go completely. This has to be done quickly or you'll never get a hold on his fingers. Try not give any warning.

"You lose, Mr. Kwan."
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "The difference between us, and other martial arts websites you might be looking for, is that we're not going to feed you, well, bullshit about martial arts."
    -Phrost

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2002 8:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good idea, Gong sau. This quote below can't be stressed enough..

"This has to be done quickly or you'll NEVER get a hold on his fingers. Try not give any warning."

A.K.A MEAT
  7. 9chambers

Posted On:
    11/22/2002 3:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >9chambers: IME most throws work only if you
    >are close. Usually the way to counter a throw
    >is to create a distance between you and
    >the thrower... but that's another thread

Yea, that's how begginers approach defense. Run way. :P

Just kidding. Keeping your distance is a good rule if you are at the preventative stage. I thought we were talking about defending against something already being applied.

* If someone is in the process of applying a wrist lock and they have folded and begun twisting your wrist then you can bend your elbow and let the arm turn ahead of time (taking away his torque) as you step towards him and slam into him or attack. Pull your wrist free. Punch.

* If someone is attempting a Judo hip toss (Koshi Guruma) and they are pulling you up onto their hip then quickly lower your waist and bend your knees. Crowd him and wrap his waist and push his legs out from under him with your hips.

* If someone is attempting to pull your arm over their shoulder for an Ippon Seoinage then lower your waist and press against them as you wrap their waist or grab their belt with your other arm.

(keeping your waist lower then their is key to a lot of crowding tech)

* Lets say someone is trying to apply an arm bar on the ground. It may help to extend your shoulder toward him to gain slack so you can twist and bend your arm enough to get leverage. (pressing the battle forward to more easily retreat) Then grab your arm with the other one. Get it to a solid position and then strike his hands or vital targets to distract him and pull free.

- - -

You are correct though. Pushing off of him to create distance is the way to go if isn't already applying the throw. Especially if it involves a sweep. But if you are at close range sometimes it helps to lower yourself and crowd him to take away his leverage. The trick is to just get your waist lower than his.

Sometimes it helps to turn ahead of him as well. Once I went with my friend Brent to his school and his instructor (he was taking Kyusho from Rick Clark at the time) decided he was going to impress me by showing me a wrist lock.

He folded my wrist and twisted it back quickly. I did a standard side roll (as seen in Ninpo or wrestling) and I stood up in front of him in a defensive stance. He quickly did it again the other way. I rolled again. Back the other way and I rolled again. Each time I stood up again in front of him ready to attack. He made the excuse that if he did it faster he could have injured me and I let him off the hook with that ~ it was his class and I didn't want to be rude.

I went the direction of the lock and took away its leverage. I rushed the battle. I grew up doing this same thing sparring with my friends in my yard all the time against wrist locks. I even did a one handed back flip type cartwheel out of locks sometimes but that's a little extreme. :P

Posted On:
    11/22/2002 4:29am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the opponent is doing this:

Try putting your left arm in between the his back and yours and push. The space you create there makes it so he can't throw you(with this technique)

If you then bend your knees or step back from here the counter works even better, plus you have a good chance of getting a rear naked...

Edited by - brandeissansoo on November 22 2002 03:31:19

Edited by - brandeissansoo on November 22 2002 03:32:38
  9. 9chambers

Posted On:
    11/22/2002 4:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think the arm pushing his back has anything to do with it. Grabbing his waist, belt or crotch would accomplish the same thing. None of those would have any effect without the lowering of your waist though. That is the key to both counters. Get lower than him.

Your way is dependent on your push being stronger than his pull though. My way is simply moving forward and downward - ahead of his pull. You gain slack and leverage to pull your arm free. This is done by crowding him.

Your way can be easily countered by the guy holding onto your arm and stepping back toward you (crowding you) and then pulling your arm under his arm instead of over his shoulder into a pig roll.

My way puts you in the postition of power so you can step around him and get a choke easily, sprawl around his throw and land on your feet, push his legs out or even suplex him.

This is the difference between Judo and wrestling. Your way depends on mechanics and mine depends on positioning.

Posted On:
    11/22/2002 9:13pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That didn't copme out very well on the black background... My way (putting arm in between, push his hips forward and step back) is also a good setup for the rear naked, or just grabbing the hair and placing the back of his head on the pavement.

What other holds can anyone think of?
    Ikkyo Pin?
    Nikkyo pin?
    Sankyo Pin?
    Lion's kill?
    Triangle choke?
    Full/half nelson?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast