Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2011 8:58am

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you Marcos. I've been working on knee through style tight passes, and this will fit right in. Im going to play with this!

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/11/2011 11:08am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this the same pass that GSP always hits?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2011 12:01am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This pass is so bread and butter that even McDojo like Tiger Schulmann incorporated it to teach it as part of their standard curriculum, true story.

But instructional wasn't good as this and they taught it using generic name like as cross knee pass or knee slice pass? Can't remember so well.

Marcos Avellan, thank you very much for the post and the video. One question I have is, if you were on the receiving end. What would be your go-to counter in no-gi?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2011 11:28am

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok! I used it last night to great success. I've been trying to work on my knee through passes lately, and some part had been working and some had not. I knew this (type of) pass somewhat, but not as well as this video explained to me. Now, I keep hitting it, and I feel like I'm in no danger. I had some trouble with some slick X-guard people, but I could usually either just back out again or force the pass anyway.

Thank for the post/video!

Posted On:
    11/12/2011 11:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have a great way of breaking things down. Thank you for the video.

Posted On:
    11/12/2011 12:39pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Marcos, I added expert tags to your profile. Thanks for posting this!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 6:23am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a great video. This was actually the first guard pass we were taught in judo (well, we don't know what guard is, but in judo language a way to get out from between our opponents legs into kesa gatame) but I had not seen it broken down in such detail before and I have got a couple of new ideas to try next time I train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2011 3:20pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandinha View Post
    Didn't David hit that pass at the USSD against Rener? I'm pretty sure that was the first time I saw it. What a shock, as Rener was my living BJJ God at the time. Wish I could find all my pics of that competition. Really opened up my eyes to the grappling world outside the little bubble we had at the Gracie Academy.
    Yes, that is the pass he used multiple times to get the 12 points required to win the match. You wish you had the pics... I wish I had the video and pics! :) I even offered $5,000 for the video at one point - but the Gracies burned that film, lol :)

elipson, thank you.

vashanka, no worries and my pleasure to help! I got a bunch of videos coming up on my website at www.MarcosAvellan.com . I am REALLY proud of the content I'm putting out, I am sending one email a day and they are all great stuff. If the stuff I'm emailing sucks, PLEASE come on here and flame me to death! It is some of my proudest stuff right now. I'm putting a lot of time and effort into that website's content.

Syphilis, my pleasure! Awesome that you got the move working! Can you do me a favor and post that on the comments section here: www.marcosavellan.com/trademark-pass Thanks!

Whiteshark, I think the one you are thinking of is from halfguard where he passes from the other side - one of my favorites as well. I'll show that one at a later time. Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to put up a favorite MMA pinning series.

babo78, my pleasure. Coming from a gym that does this religiously, my favorite counter is to beat them on the underhook. So if he is passing to my right, I want to swim my left underhook in as he is passing, so that I can either pop out the back or at least pop up to my feet. Second favorite thing to do is if he is passing to my right, to get my left shin across his body as he is sliding. However, I have a whole series of counters versus that counter as well!

The BEST thing though is preventive medicine - never allowing him to establish the knee in the center.

Vorpal, my pleasure!

Phrost, thank you, my pleasure, and I'll keep it coming for you guys, I'm having a good time doing this.

poker, thank you for the comment!

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/14/2011 4:14pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Marcos, if I remember right, since I was really close to the mat, about 15 feet away, you were the only one shouting out instructions to your brother. Everyone was dead silent when the grappling started. Good times. Pity about the film as there were tons of ppl in the audience also filming. I was working security for the event.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12