Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 8:15pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    let's see...

heavyweight, we've got overeem vs lesnar to get jds.

barnett/cormier winner will become a big contender
    mir/nogueira is a big contender eliminator

silva/werdum/carwin/kharitonov/russow/herman/kongo/mitrione/schaub are all still relevant, and surely a contender will emerge among them.

let's compare that to, say, middleweight, where it looks like the winner of bisping/miller and mark munoz will be fighting for a title shot.

heavyweight > middleweight, easily.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 8:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, it's highly doubtful Jon Jones will be able to make weight at 205 forever. That should make for some interesting HW fights down the road.

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 5:36am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    My opinion is that the Heavyweight Division is stacked - moreso than it has ever been in the history of the sport. And I think it's going to get better when Strikeforce gets shut down and the best talent there is absorbed into the UFC.

It's going to be hard for anyone to put together a long streak because everyone in the division is dangerous. I think it only adds to the excitement of the division.

And there are up-and-coming guys. A lot of them are just young and aren't fighting as heavyweights yet. They'll get there.
    Yeah I agree,

The Heavyweight Division is the most stacked it's ever been.

Compared to boxing the Heavyweight scene is thriving.

The UFC could potentially have Cormier, Bigfoot Silva, Werdum, Kharitanov and Barnett joining it's ranks soon enough.

with Junior Dos Santos, Velasquez, Lesnar, Frank Mir, Kongo, Carwin, Alistair Overeem, Lesnar etc.. already in the division i think its fair to say its looking pretty exciting.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 9:24am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think the heavyweight division is the problem. It is the way the UFC shows fights. I mean, we don't get to see a lot of heavyweight fights so people forget who all is in the division. When you look at the names on paper, you have a ton of people in the division that could be the champ at any given moment. Stacked division!

@Devil, just curious why you don't think that Bones Jones will be able to keep making weight. I haven't followed him that close. Has he been having issues with weight?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 9:59am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    @Devil, just curious why you don't think that Bones Jones will be able to keep making weight. I haven't followed him that close. Has he been having issues with weight?
    He's a big Light Heavyweight. His natural weight is probably at least 220. He cuts significantly to make 205 and he fights quite a bit heavier than 205. Plus, he's only 24 and my guess is he'll get heavier as he gets older.

It's not just my thinking though. There's a lot of speculation about an eventual move to HW for him.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 10:35am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I figured that age may be a factor. 15lbs is not too hard of a cut, but if he starts walking around any higher than 220, it will make a big difference. I cut from 235 to 205 for a tournament and it was tough, but I'm no world class athlete.

If he went to heavyweight, it would be interesting to see him pack on some more muscle but stay as quick as he currently is.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    11/16/2011 6:16am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm betting we'll see a cruiserweight division soon enough.

You get soo many guys like Griffin, Jones, Bader, Ortiz who are too big for the LHW division but still too mall to fight the likes of Brock, Overeem etc..

This is the reason the lightheavyweight division has always been stacked.

I'm not sure fights like Lesnar vs Couture or Fedor vs Bigfoot are a good idea anyway.
    Last edited by Kambei Shimada; 11/16/2011 6:20am at .

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    11/16/2011 6:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kambei Shimada View Post
    You get soo many guys like Griffin, Jones, Bader, Ortiz who are too big for the LHW division but still too mall to fight the likes of Brock, Overeem etc..
    None of those guys have ever missed weight, two have been well known for their cardio superiority and three are or were champions.

In what possible sense are they "too big for the LHW division"?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2011 8:18am

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't say they were too big for LHW, but at the same time a 230lb division would be sublime.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    11/16/2011 8:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    I wouldn't say they were too big for LHW, but at the same time a 230lb division would be sublime.
    Disagree, heavyweight is too sparse as it is, no need to further water down the talent pool.

It's not like it's the biggest guys in it who are consistently winning, either; If there was a 230 division it would contain the current the champ and the one before him.

Of historical UFC champs who couldn't make 230? Sylvia, Lesnar, Mir maybe? 230+ would be a wasteland like 265+ is at the moment.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast