Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 1:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

*Does the Heavyweight Division suck?*

http://www.mmatraining.com/featured/...eight-is-thin/

This article makes some good points about why heavyweight is weak and doesn't look to be getting much better in the future either. Maybe suck is a strong word but seriously, how "elite" is the heavyweight division these days? There aren't a lot of guys who seem to be able to put together good streaks and there aren't a lot of up-and-coming dudes either.

What are your thoughts?

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 2:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My opinion is that the Heavyweight Division is stacked - moreso than it has ever been in the history of the sport. And I think it's going to get better when Strikeforce gets shut down and the best talent there is absorbed into the UFC.

It's going to be hard for anyone to put together a long streak because everyone in the division is dangerous. I think it only adds to the excitement of the division.

And there are up-and-coming guys. A lot of them are just young and aren't fighting as heavyweights yet. They'll get there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 6:13pm

Style: Watching from the stands

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HW divisions are always a bit shallow, finding guys that big who can also fight is never easy. I'll say this, even thought it's a bit thin at times it's a far cry from what it used to be when slugs such as Silvia and Herring were lumbering around. As Devil pointed out, there are some good up and comers, it's just going to take a few years for the contenders and the journeymen to get sorted out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 8:52pm

Style: Over substance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really? There are lots of very good HW out there. If your definition of good is a long winning streak, then the LHW division would also look shallow.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2011 6:42am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe suck is a strong word but seriously, how "elite" is the heavyweight division these days?
    These days? The heavyweight division has ALWAYS been considered the weakest division in MMA, particularly the UFC.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2011 12:04am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I think HW in UFC right now is farrrr better than what it was when Tim Sylvia was champ...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 7:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is the shallowest division in the UFC right now. Most well rounded and experienced competitor right now is Overeem. He will ultimately be THE heavyweight champ, the rest are just benchwarmers.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 7:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JitsMag View Post
    It is the shallowest division in the UFC right now. Most well rounded and experienced competitor right now is Overeem. He will ultimately be THE heavyweight champ, the rest are just benchwarmers.
    What do you expect from the UFC heavyweight division that you aren't getting right now? When is the last time there wasn't a ton of excitment surrounding a HW title fight in the UFC? What would make it better?

When has the HW division ever been better? What is your benchmark?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 8:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is your benchmark?
    Personally, I think the heavyweight division was at its peak when Paul Buentello was fighting for a title.

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 8:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Personally, I think the heavyweight division was at its peak when Paul Buentello was fighting for a title.
    Well, the Buentello era speaks for itself. Other than that, I mean.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast