Sponsored Links Spacer Image

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 4:17pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    you dont find so many frauds in arts that arent full of bullshit. go look up fraudulent boxing, kickboxing, judo, bjj etc instructors, you tend to find less of them because its a put up or shut up environment. a lot of 'traditional" arts are almost perfectly designed for bullshit peddlers.
    Generalising a bit, someone like a BJJ instructor basically sells a different kind of product from, say, a Wing Chun instructor. The BJJ instructor is selling objectively quantifiable training, and his product is evaluated in terms of how his students fare at BJJ tournaments. The Wing Chun instructor is selling training in an art with no objective endpoint, so his product is evaluated strictly in terms of how much he can convince people it is subjectively worth. Of course the latter kind of product is going to be subject to more BS; there’s no objective quality control! To make matters worse, improving training will do nothing to bring business success when fighting skills aren’t actually tested and fed back into the school as increased draw for students, so a superior instructor with poor BS skills is at a disadvantage compared to a poor but smooth-talking instructor. Not so in BJJ, where your instructor’s Brazilian accent may be so thick that you barely know what he’s saying to begin with but his students’ competitive records may speak as eloquently as you ever need.

Of course the same goes for other combat sports as for BJJ, and other non-combat sports as for Wing Chun in the above argument. (And yes, there are the very rare Wing Chun schools that produce fighters and the very rare, insular and non-competitive BJJ gyms.)
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2011 12:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shorei-Ryu/Goju-Ryu/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalLegion View Post
    In all seriousness, would you say Ed Parker, Pat Johnson and Jeff Speakman should be on this list or no?
    This is to you and whoever else commented on my two listed individuals. I meant that those two were the only ones whose seminars I have attended. There are plenty of others, no need to name them all. Sorry for the lack of clarification.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2011 12:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shorei-Ryu/Goju-Ryu/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    They are not the only two that fit that criteria. The fact you need to even try and post that inflammatory statement and think it would pass is funny.

Yes, I noticed immediately what style you practiced and what Herb Johnson practices.

In my personal opinion list? No. Does it mean they were terrible or not important? Nope.
    Just so we're clear, I meant that those two martial artists were the only ones whose seminar I have attended. There is no need to point out the many more, it is obvious.
    Sorry for the lack of clarification.

And you noticed what style I did because I have it listed I assume. Easy on the diatribe of my lack of semantics. I'll be sure to be more specific to avoid verbal confrontation, or rather, writing "inflammatory" statements.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12