Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 1:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shorei-Ryu/Goju-Ryu/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why are frauds easier to find than professionals?!

In my few years of training in karate, I've trained with an instructor who is completely no BS. He works about 10 pressure points, and doesn't bother with the other 150 that other infamous "martial" artists attempt to manipulate. He does not shed light on chi, he does not speak of esoteric stories or alleged mystical enlightenment through his 30 years of training. He is a man who devotes himself entirely to his dojo, commends a large amount of respect, and doesn't take bullshit excuses. He is a man who will truly instill discipline.

However, he is NOT well known. He is no George Dillman. In other words, why are these frauds so prevalent and easy to find while true teachers remain in a blur? While training in karate, my friend and I came across George Dillman. Attended two seminars, and recognized his inflated claims. :RetardDog:

Even here, training in Aikido which is arguably one of the most controversial martial arts when coming to practicality, I landed a dojo that welcomes Luis Alba into it's confines one day a week, for one hour. I've taken a couple classes with him, and thought he was legit. His form was great, his techniques were solid, and his training with a katana/bokken/jo seemed legitimate.

And then I read his bio... And then I "googled" his name and this site found me again, finding yet another artist I have the ability to train with on here... smeared with fraudulent ****.

So, for all those tl;dr individuals: Why are "frauds" so much easier to find than people who are accredited? Why aren't there any "professionals" giving seminars as much as these "frauds?" I dare to say although fraudulent, they are more outgoing in the arts, despite the bullshit in their arts...

Bill "Superfoot" Wallace and Hanshi Herb Johnson are the only two martial artists who withhold a great deal of respect, and are legitimate martial artists who have/had devoted the climax of their lives to the martial arts.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 1:50am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chuck Norris, Dan Inosanto, Gene Lebell, Mas Oyama, and Helio Gracie need to be added to your list just to name a few off the top of my Head.

Oh and no Herb Johnson is not on that list. Not knocking the guy at all, but you need to stop.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 2:00am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shorei-Ryu/Goju-Ryu/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    you need to stop.
    Stop what?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 2:50am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerfulFellow View Post
    In my few years of training in karate, I've trained with an instructor who is completely no BS. He works about 10 pressure points, and doesn't bother with the other 150 that other infamous "martial" artists attempt to manipulate. He does not shed light on chi, he does not speak of esoteric stories or alleged mystical enlightenment through his 30 years of training. He is a man who devotes himself entirely to his dojo, commends a large amount of respect, and doesn't take bullshit excuses. He is a man who will truly instill discipline.

However, he is NOT well known. He is no George Dillman. In other words, why are these frauds so prevalent and easy to find while true teachers remain in a blur? While training in karate, my friend and I came across George Dillman. Attended two seminars, and recognized his inflated claims. :RetardDog:
    i dont know whether you are a bit slow or actually dont know, but its because he makes crazy claims that people know who he is. this is kinda obvious dont you think?

So, for all those tl;dr individuals: Why are "frauds" so much easier to find than people who are accredited? Why aren't there any "professionals" giving seminars as much as these "frauds?" I dare to say although fraudulent, they are more outgoing in the arts, despite the bullshit in their arts...
    you dont find so many frauds in arts that arent full of bullshit. go look up fraudulent boxing, kickboxing, judo, bjj etc instructors, you tend to find less of them because its a put up or shut up environment. a lot of 'traditional" arts are almost perfectly designed for bullshit peddlers.

Bill "Superfoot" Wallace and Hanshi Herb Johnson are the only two martial artists who withhold a great deal of respect, and are legitimate martial artists who have/had devoted the climax of their lives to the martial arts.
    uh, what? somehow i feel there are a lot more than two.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 5:56am

supporting member
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Chuck Norris, Dan Inosanto, Gene Lebell, Mas Oyama, and Helio Gracie need to be added to your list just to name a few off the top of my Head.

Oh and no Herb Johnson is not on that list. Not knocking the guy at all, but you need to stop.
    In all seriousness, would you say Ed Parker, Pat Johnson and Jeff Speakman should be on this list or no?

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 8:23am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why are frauds easier to find than professionals?!
    Try changing your google search criteria from "Martial arts frauds" to "Martial Arts professionals".

I know certain that once I got more specific in my search criteria, the quality of p0rn I was downloading improved enormously. I'm confident the method is transferable to other subjects.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 12:27pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignorami View Post
    I know certain that once I got more specific in my search criteria, the quality of p0rn I was downloading improved enormously. I'm confident the method is transferable to other subjects.
    Tell me about it. Vast difference in results between a "donkey p0rn" search and "ass p0rn" search.

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 12:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone Madoff with my 'professional-fraud' tag.

In any case, one obvious answer to the thread-title query is that one can be a legit instructor without a huge amount of self-promotion: rep spread via word-of-mouth, small gym, dedicated participants and so on. If big money isn't the goal, this approach may work quite well.

Frauds--more likely in it for the income rather than for other reasons--would tend to find such an arrangement unsatisfactory. They would opt, instead, for the routes towards more cash more commonly-chosen amongst all fraudsters, both in and out of MA. Aggressive self-promotion tends to be part of that scenario.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 1:16pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stop what?
    They are not the only two that fit that criteria. The fact you need to even try and post that inflammatory statement and think it would pass is funny.

Yes, I noticed immediately what style you practiced and what Herb Johnson practices.

Quote Originally Posted by FinalLegion View Post
    In all seriousness, would you say Ed Parker, Pat Johnson and Jeff Speakman should be on this list or no?
    In my personal opinion list? No. Does it mean they were terrible or not important? Nope.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 3:54pm

Style: EBMAS\52 Blocks

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    i dont know whether you are a bit slow or actually dont know, but its because he makes crazy claims that people know who he is. This is kinda obvious dont you think?

You dont find so many frauds in arts that arent full of bullshit. Go look up fraudulent boxing, kickboxing, judo, bjj etc instructors, you tend to find less of them because its a put up or shut up environment. A lot of 'traditional" arts are almost perfectly designed for bullshit peddlers.

Uh, what? Somehow i feel there are a lot more than two.
    great breakdown!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast