Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    11/18/2011 4:09am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I forgot to make the vid last weekend, this reminded me to.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/18/2011 2:28pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is that the same sweep? I'm using the pants at the hip not the sleeve. Gotta switch to the sleeve.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2011 3:07pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is one of my favorite reversals.

As others have said, the key for me is to control his wrist, but I don't find it's about momentum at all. In fact, it's one of those reversals where the guy knows it's happening, and it's like slow motion as I roll him. I try to visualize driving his arm across as he comes around to side control and at the same time turning myself to north/south and moving myself underneath to get his weight high... if that makes any sense at all.

This one, for me, is about setting it up and making the other guy believe he's got the pass more than any explosive move.

Also, I don't bridge much at all. My lower back is weak and lame. For me it's less about bridging and more about moving in and under him, while keeping my grips.

One other detail for me is, on the hand that's gripping the belt, thinking about driving that elbow down to the mat. In other words, it's less about pulling his belt and more about visualizing driving his head into the mat with my elbow. That pressure on his head tends to encourage him to pop his butt up and make the roll ridiculously easy.

I hope that any of this makes sense.

Edit: Reading through more of the posts, for me, it's not as dependent on HIS momentum as it is about getting underneath his center of gravity. I can generate plenty of momentum with the turn toward north/south underneath him. Usually, I bait with my feet, let my bottom foot drop so he clears it and then I move underneath him. It's very reliable and much less dependent on his momentum.
    Last edited by Cowardly Lurker; 11/18/2011 3:20pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/18/2011 6:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Is that the same sweep? I'm using the pants at the hip not the sleeve. Gotta switch to the sleeve.
    my blue belt does this the same way. and he doesn't do it off the pass, but to escape from a consolidated side control.

he'll push into you, turning to his side. it intentionally feels like uncoordinated noob behaviour. to consolidate, you try to push back and flatten him. then you're on your back.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    11/19/2011 4:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hit this a couple of times today on a purple belt and a brown. The brown knew it was coming and would prevent my leg from bridging and would attempt to step over my head. My counter for that was to control the wrist keep my head up and come to my knees and back to guard (couldn't get around to his back).

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/20/2011 10:29pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've drilled this sweep 100x, and still can't get it in real time. Someday, man. Someday.

It just fits my game well, because I use a lot of Imanari-inspired bottom game, and there are a few sweeps that I hit (excluding this one, but this one is more effective) as my opponent is passing... I bait the pass a lot in order to regain DLR, RDLR, leg reap, etc.

Posted On:
    11/22/2011 1:16am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thats one way to do it! i dont like the way he was controlling the sleeve. i like to do it palm up, i almost broke my wrist palm down. then julio corrected it.

Posted On:
    11/22/2011 1:18am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    I've drilled this sweep 100x, and still can't get it in real time. Someday, man. Someday.
    This is the only sweep that i actually had to drill it during live sparring. it didnt bother me if i was put in bad positions, its only training. keep trying!

Posted On:
    11/22/2011 1:20am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maximusprime View Post
    thats one way to do it! i dont like the way he was controlling the sleeve. i like to do it palm up, i almost broke my wrist palm down. then julio corrected it.
    actually, its the blue belt who grabs wrist down. sorry!!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/22/2011 4:08pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I finally got the sweep to work... It was so nice. Seems like the key was hitting it right as the pass was nearing completion. Too early and they can still back out, too late and they can settle.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123