Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 5:15pm

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As JNP stated, as Machado students this is bread and butter. When I am feeling lazy I will give up the pass just to hit this instead of fighting from guard, especially if they are pushing the pace and bearing into me. As was previously stated, when I am on my side with the back grip on the belt, I can punch their head side wrist to their belly and sweep/reverse rather easily. If they are backing away though I have to muscle a bit more but this opens up other opportunities as well.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 10:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll make one Saturday about how I do it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/10/2011 12:17am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would be truly appreciative if you do a tutorial. I'm actually working on a SEO project with a JJ Machado Blackbelt who trained Bravo for his fight with Royler. I'm going to ask him about it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2011 9:33am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have a blue belt student who does this very well and i've changed the way i use side control because of it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2011 10:51pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Julio has hit this sweep on me a couple dozen times.

One of the biggest keys to this sweep is momentum. With some sweeps you can get your grip and just go, but you can stall out pretty easily on this technique if your opponent isn't looking to pass and establish side control.

One of the things I've seen Julio(and Jean Jacques for that matter) do is combo this attack with looking to regain guard. As your opponent starts to pass if you get this grip your opponent has two choices: he can either try to finish the pass(which often gives you the sweep/reversal) or stop moving forward which makes regaining guard a lot easier.

A good example of this is (I think the first match from the 2010 pan ams) between Bernardo Faria and Rafael Lovato. Lovato gets the grip for this sweep and rather than continue to look for the pass Faria repeatedly retreats back into Lovato's half guard.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    11/10/2011 11:23pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    However, if you stay on your side, set your grips early and use their momentum as they pass against them, this move requires zero strength to finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    I do this one myself a lot and have hit it on browns/blacks when they try to pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by maximusprime View Post
    momentum is key!
    Quote Originally Posted by Naszir View Post
    I will give up the pass just to hit this instead of fighting from guard, especially if they are pushing the pace and bearing into me.
    Quote Originally Posted by dokomoy View Post
    One of the biggest keys to this sweep is momentum. With some sweeps you can get your grip and just go, but you can stall out pretty easily on this technique if your opponent isn't looking to pass and establish side control.

One of the things I've seen Julio(and Jean Jacques for that matter) do is combo this attack with looking to regain guard. As your opponent starts to pass if you get this grip your opponent has two choices: he can either try to finish the pass(which often gives you the sweep/reversal) or stop moving forward which makes regaining guard a lot easier.

A good example of this is (I think the first match from the 2010 pan ams) between Bernardo Faria and Rafael Lovato. Lovato gets the grip for this sweep and rather than continue to look for the pass Faria repeatedly retreats back into Lovato's half guard.
    I think we all agree about this being a momentum based technique. More specifically, how to use your opponent's momentum against him/her.

I like that you mentioned the re-guarding aspect of this move. Being on your side in the first place allows you to enter this move, and then enables you to subsequently capitalize on the moment when they recognize it and try to retreat back to your guard to avoid being reversed.

Done properly, your grips should compromise their posture when they pull back allowing you to A: let go of the wrist and grab their far hip or knee and use the grip as pulling leverage to pop yourself back to closed or open guard, or B: maintain the over the shoulder grip and take the back when they fail to maintain posture while withdrawing.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/12/2011 2:13am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In addition to pulling guard, if they try to avoid the sweep by not moving forward and committing their weight to you, then you can scoot out and rise up to your knees and get on top. Then if they try to squash you down, you just do the sweep again.

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 2:58am

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well this isn't actually a sweep, but it is a pretty popular reversal. Never really made it's way into my game, but I train with a lot of people who use it. I've found the belt grip isn't as reliable and hard to counter as a chin grip around the head though. It's also sadly true that while you get no points for a reversal you can also be giving up an advantage to your opponent for almost passing by going for this. All depends on your speed/timing and how the ref sees it I guess.
    Last edited by M-Tri; 11/13/2011 3:17am at .
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/16/2011 1:46pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hit this 6 times on 4 different people today. I am really starting to like it but am a little bit afraid it feeds my bad habits.

Observations/Questions:
    The across the back hand needs to be sort of diagonal for the most leverage.
    The hand in the hip should go elbow across the waist instead of posting straight.
    Getting the hips close to the opponents and driving over our head instead of just rolling over generates the most lift.
    The tighter the top guy is the easier the sweep is.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/17/2011 12:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tri View Post
    Well this isn't actually a sweep, but it is a pretty popular reversal. Never really made it's way into my game, but I train with a lot of people who use it. I've found the belt grip isn't as reliable and hard to counter as a chin grip around the head though. It's also sadly true that while you get no points for a reversal you can also be giving up an advantage to your opponent for almost passing by going for this. All depends on your speed/timing and how the ref sees it I guess.
    That's what I was thinking, it looks more like a common escape from side control, but in the video examples applied as noted by JNP et al before the pin is set.

In any case, very nice stuff!
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast