Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 11:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"Julio Sweep"

Sweep renamed by Master Jean Jacques Machado. enjoy!

its amazing, pretty much when they go for the pass try to catch them when they are off balanced. or get them off balanced by crab walking!! there are so many variations to this, say they flatten so you cant sweep.. or you overshoot it and end up in northsouth you can take the back!

if enough people comment on his youtube he will post a "tutorial" or lesson or instructional.. or what ever the hell you call it.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 12:09am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a Machado student myself, I love this sweep (big surprise!). I still use it on a consistent basis.

The grip over the back is crucial, but there are options to what you do with your other hand.

I favor grabbing the sleeve at the wrist of the same hand as the side that they are passing on, and pushing it across their body to their opposite hip as they try to finish the pass. Doing so removes any chance of them using that hand to stop the sweep by posting with it.

Other than that, you must remain on your side. This sweep will not work if you lay on your back. However, if you stay on your side, set your grips early and use their momentum as they pass against them, this move requires zero strength to finish.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 12:11am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do this one myself a lot and have hit it on browns/blacks when they try to pass. The only reliable counter to this sweep is if they pass using an over under pass and control your far leg. (2:24 watch as the blackbelt allows the bottom man to move under his hips and doesn't sink his hips low and control the far pant leg) I'd call it more of a reversal than a sweep, but that's just being nitpicky.

Edit: I also prefer to shove their wrist into their hip.
    Last edited by DKJr; 11/09/2011 12:15am at .

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 12:23am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this is true, in tournaments no points are giving for it, unless you keep a butterfly hook in. I visited John Machado this pass friday and he was pulling this on me when he saw me doing it. then he showed me a few reversals when i get caught in it.

point being.. Machado's are awesome..

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 12:23am

Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    The only reliable counter to this sweep is if they pass using an over under pass and control your far leg. (2:24 watch as the blackbelt allows the bottom man to move under his hips and doesn't sink his hips low and control the far pant leg).
    You can also stop passing, sprawl and back out to guard and subsequently free your wrist/remove their point of control.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 12:28am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    You can also stop passing, sprawl and back out to guard and subsequently free your wrist/remove their point of control.
    Julio actually has a answer for that as well. When they Sprawl, he circles out while controlling their belt and drags them. I've seen him Drag them directly to an armbar. Makes sense?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 2:54am

Style: Judo noob, BJJ uber noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maximusprime View Post
    this is true, in tournaments no points are giving for it, unless you keep a butterfly hook in. I visited John Machado this pass friday and he was pulling this on me when he saw me doing it. then he showed me a few reversals when i get caught in it.

point being.. Machado's are awesome..
    I was going to ask about the points. Do refs consistently not give points since they are already passed your guard (and if so, do they ever give point to the other guy for "passing"?). Seems like it'd be a weird grey area where they can't get points for passing since they never settle the position, but you can't get points for the sweep since you lose guard. Actually, rewatching, it looks like at 0:25 the ref gives points for the sweep (even though judging by the clip it just looks like a side control reversal).

On the technical side, how dependent on the momentum from the pass is this? Can you hit it from a transition from side -> north south? Or would that expose the arm you have the back grip with?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 2:59pm

Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tried this today and failed horribly. I'd like a tutorial on it.

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 4:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbon View Post
    I was going to ask about the points. Do refs consistently not give points since they are already passed your guard (and if so, do they ever give point to the other guy for "passing"?). Seems like it'd be a weird grey area where they can't get points for passing since they never settle the position, but you can't get points for the sweep since you lose guard. Actually, rewatching, it looks like at 0:25 the ref gives points for the sweep (even though judging by the clip it just looks like a side control reversal).

On the technical side, how dependent on the momentum from the pass is this? Can you hit it from a transition from side -> north south? Or would that expose the arm you have the back grip with?
    Some refs will give points, while most don't. What you do get however are advantages. No points are given unless he completes the pass and gets side control.

momentum is key! however, just my simply shrimping out and having him follow you is enough. If you end up in the North South position and you still have control of the arm and belt, do a back shoulder roll to the back. :happy:

Posted On:
    11/09/2011 4:18pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Tried this today and failed horribly. I'd like a tutorial on it.
    keep at it, I took me 6 months of none stop dedication to fully understand the movement. keep his hand between his own legs and your arms fully extended.. when you feel it right, bend your arms a little to have him follow you and go for the sweep. makes sense?

crap walk is important..
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast