Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 2:19pm

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Info / Opinions Wanted: Community Center Jiu-Jitsu in Ottawa (Canada)

Hi folks!

The City of Ottawa's official recreation guide lists several Jiu-Jitsu courses at a variety of local community centers:

www.ottawa.ca/rec_culture/images/adult_en.pdf

The price is definitely right but it doesn't say who the instructors are, what style of Jiu-Jitsu is being taught, etc.

Using basic Google-Fu has revealed that the courses being offered at the Sandy Hill community center are provided by Sandy Hill Jiu-Jitsu / E.C.O.J.J.A.

www.ecojja.net

Have any of you ever trained there or know anything about it? Care to share your experiences or some info?

I haven't been able to find much more info about the other places by searching with Google and creeping on Facebook. Does anyone have any experience with or info about the Jiu-Jitsu being offered at the other community centers (like St-Laurent, Richelieu-Vanier, etc)?

Thanks for the help!

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 3:04pm

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The head instructor is Guy Maurice Perrier, like it says in your link http://ecojja.net/QandA.htm . Like most local jiu jtsu instructors, it is an offshoot of Can-ryu from Georges Sylvain, and the old Ninja ryu from Denis St Jean. Collins jiu jitsu teaches at the Overbrook center, I forget who is the teacher at St laurent. It will be generic jiu jitsu. My biggest concern would be fellow students, seen a few who would not fit into a normal class(They're special).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2011 10:06am

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info!

A lot of these places don't show up in Google unless you search for them specifically by name (like Collins), so I appreciate the help!

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this though:

My biggest concern would be fellow students, seen a few who would not fit into a normal class(They're special).
    a) At which school?

b) Special in what way? Like down syndrome special? LARPer special? Overly aggressive meat-head who likes to hurt people special?

Thanks again!

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    11/14/2011 4:38pm

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would suggest mebbe not starting at the beginning of a session, watch a class first to see who your fellow students are. I would probably go with the first two options you present, the overly agressive meatheads do mma:).