Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 1:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

WKM Training Plan

Hey guys!

I'm not quite sure if this plan is popular here, but it's very well-known in most bodybuilding and weightlifting forums, actually its Stickie almost everywhere. So I thought I'd just post it here, because when I stumbled across it first several years ago I thought it was very useful.
    It's called "WKM" after the forum user who first posted it, and it's based on 2-3 training days a week, which makes it highly viable for everyone who isn't "pumping" in first place, but wants to supplement his training in some other sport (like, you know, martial arts and stuff). It provides a well-balanced workout for the whole body, in two alternating training days.
    So, let's have a look at it:

Day 1:
    Squats
    Benchpress
    bent-over-rowing

Day 2:
    Deadlift
    Chin-Ups (start out with cable-pulldowns if its too difficult in the beginning)
    Military Press

To warm up, you go through 2-3 sets with easy weight in each exercise, which means you should be able to pull of 25-30 reps with it. Then you increase the weight to about 8-12 reps in the working sets. Some people recommend 2, some 3 working sets, just try to figure the better way out for yourself. I personally prefer 3 sets. You should NEVER reach the point of muscle failure. Constantly reaching muscle failure in training will almost inevitably lead into overtraining, and that's the last thing you want.
    You should be able to increase your working set weight a little each ~2 weeks, assuming you work out each 2-3 days.

WUUUT, no arm training?
    No, your arms will have to work more than enough with all these exercises. No need for it. That simple. You'd actually decrease the effeciency of your training by seperated arm training.

If there are any open question about the plan by now, I'll gladly answer them.

My experiences with this plan:
    My physique was ridiculously bad and I didn't give a **** til I was 16. Then I started to notice that all my friends were developing ... well ... an actual bodyshape, while I was still skinny like a 10 year old. So I started working out like hell. I would rush to the gym 7 days a week and work out 4 hours each day, and my progress was VERY VERY slowly. I restlessly jumped through all kinds of different ways of training and nothing would be helpful. But then, after 15 or 16 months, when I was already about to throw it over and start being a pc nerd instead of a fitness nerd again, I found this plan. I was like: "WTF? Work out 3 day a week? 45 minutes one workout? That can never work." But i started trying it out because i didn't know what else to do and it would eventually turn out to be useful.
    After almost 5 Years of working out with this plan, I am able to lift almost 2,5 times my own bodyweight, I'm fit, strong and trim.

The base I started of from was terribly bad. If it could help me, it can definitely help you!

I hope this one will be helpful for some of you guys.

Up the Irons!
    Last edited by SmH; 11/08/2011 1:18pm at . Reason: typical typos

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 6:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: NinBuKai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is almost exactly the standard workout suggested to anyone here looking to build strength, with a few notable exceptions:

Quote Originally Posted by SmH View Post
    To warm up, you go through 2-3 sets with easy weight in each exercise, which means you should be able to pull of 25-30 reps with it. Then you increase the weight to about 8-12 reps in the working sets. Some people recommend 2, some 3 working sets, just try to figure the better way out for yourself. I personally prefer 3 sets.

You should be able to increase your working set weight a little each ~2 weeks, assuming you work out each 2-3 days.
    You should be doing somewhere between 4-6 sets of 4-6 repetitions and increase the weight a little every single day. You're wasting a lot of time doing that many reps, as SCIENCE (it deserves its capital letters) teaches us that power and explosiveness are actually hindered by doing such a workout. The standard is 5x5 (note the name "5x5 workout").

Quote Originally Posted by SmH View Post
    After almost 5 Years of working out with this plan, I am able to lift almost 2,5 times my own bodyweight, I'm fit, strong and trim.
    Doing the standard program with less reps you should be able to deadlift 2.5 times your body-weight within about 5-6 months (obviously results vary). You'll typically lead every workout with squats as well.

For more information check out:

StrongLifts or Starting Strength

I also would like it noted that googling "WKM workout" now gives this thread its #2 result, despite only being around for 6 hours. (I now realize this is likely due to the different languages between OP and I.)
    Last edited by PerseusStoned; 11/08/2011 6:38pm at . Reason: OP lives somewhere else, I am Americentric