Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We are talking past each other. I am saying that, in an armored melee competition format in which being knocked or thrown down means "you're out", the risks of relying on kicks outweigh the potential benefits.

Because you (the kicker) are armored, you're top-heavy and thus it's even easier than usual to throw or knock you off balance during your kick. Once again, I'm not saying "kicks don't work" - anything can work under ideal circumstances - I'm saying that this type of competition is about the worst circumstance to be relying on kicks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 4:09pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    I'm saying that this type of competition is about the worst circumstance to be relying on kicks.
    I still honestly believe that knowing how to deliver a proper kick is a very useful tool for anybody to have. To be honest, in a sword v. sword duel, I wouldn't expect the kick to be utilized much. However, add a big Roman style shield in there and the kick is the perfect tool to attempt to overbalance the opponent. Armor will hinder your movements but it'll also hinder your opponent's movement as well. Once the opponent is off balance, you or your teammate can charge in to knock him over or even deliver a powerful overhand strike with a halberd.

I agree with you that everything has it's time and place. Kicks by no mean will ensure victory and plenty of fights have gone for quite of a few bouts with no shield kicks. However, I still think they a valuable part of any arsenal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 11:35pm

Style: bjj, sca, armored combat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice back&forth going here. Just to clarify a few things.

Thrusting is not allowed at BotN.

Kicking if perfectly legal in the melees, but there is not punching, kicking or grappling in the single duels.

When you are on the ground (they talk about "three points of contact") in the melee, you are out. In the duels, they count the number of strikes that land with your weapon.

Assume both fighters are wearing armor that is about 50-75 lbs, evenly distributed over the body, with full range of motion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2011 1:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a lot of armor, especially when you consider that medieval knights wouldn't even go as high as 75 pounds. What are you guys gonna be wearing, exactly?

Is it just no thrusting at all or can you just not thrust at the opponent? If it is the latter, I'd still thrust at the shield.

The big argument seems to be that your opponent will be able to close in and take advantage of you when you deliver the kick. Dunno about you but I don't know many people that can take advantage of a ~.75 second time frame with 75 pounds of equipment.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2011 3:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanky279 View Post

The big argument seems to be that your opponent will be able to close in and take advantage of you when you deliver the kick. Dunno about you but I don't know many people that can take advantage of a ~.75 second time frame with 75 pounds of equipment.
    Sorry, I have to ask - do you know what the word "melee" means? If so, have you ever actually fought in one?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2011 12:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To Lanky:

The rules specify what is essentially full plate and chain armor. You can see video of what I am talking about here...http://youtu.be/ifVBhKmBCt8

http://youtu.be/ifVBhKmBCt8

No thrusting with the weapons is allowed at all.

I know lots of people who are very quick in armor. I figure it would slow down a charging man about as much as it would slow down a kick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2011 1:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are still a few slots on Team USA. Any of you WMA guys want to join up and represent the US? It looks like there will be about 10 different nations represented, so this will be yoru chance to bash heads with people from all over the world!

The nations represented will include Belorus, Ukraine, Poland, Austria, Germany, Italy, Romania, Australia, Denmark, Ireland, France, Quebec, Belgium

For more info go to http://www.facebook.com/groups/115904041790980/ and http://www.usaknights.org/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2012 11:48am

Style: grappling, swordfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Team USA is really gathering steam! We will be having our first National Practice and Media Event in Springfield Il. on Feb 17-19. There are certain folks here who have been very vocal about the superiority of their style of WMA, especially considering that they liek to punch, kick and grapple while swordfighting, here's a chance to stand up, throw down, and represent the USA! Check out the team's website for details. http://www.usaknights.org

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2012 8:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just got back from the Battle of the Nations TeamUSA national practice in Springfield, Il. last weekend. What a great buch of guys we got! In addition to the large SCAdian contingent, there were several WMA guys from Idaho, a jouster, and I think one or two fellows from some other organizations. A couple of the team members who live in the area arranged a terriffic support team, getting us to and from the airport and the various activities we had planned. When it came to fighting, everyone showed great spirit and energy. We have the makings of a very fine team with definite "position players." I surprised a few people by standing up and fighting well against two of the biggest, toughest guys on the team. The way I looked at it was that I didn't go there to quit, and I have had guys sitting on my chest for five minutes trying to choke me out; all they did was hit me on the head for a minute and a half. I basically earned my way onto the teame, and was singled out by the commander for doing so.

You can see local news reports about the practice at...

http://www.wics.com/newsroom/top_sto...vid_5389.shtml
    http://www.wics.com/newsroom/top_sto...vid_5385.shtml

There is also video of the press conference with the mayor, including fighting in the council chamber, on YouTube, but I can't access it from this computer.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/24/2012 10:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FYI, my brother is a national longsword champ and he is gonna come and **** you wet little bitches up. if he can afford a plane fare that is. just remember that when some dude with a kiwi accent is dryfucking you into the ground and calling you a "spazzy chumba".
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast