Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 7:47am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had 5 other southpaw fighters at my last gym, hated it at first until I learnt a few things.

*You can't get away with having a **** jab like a lot of southpaws do against orthodox, often the guy with the better jab sets the pace and wins the spar.

*Finish combos with that outside leg kick, does much more damage than the inside one we usually throw.

*Use more techniques off your lead side, the body positioning seems to make it a lot easier to kick people in the head/ribs this way.

*If you really want to hit them with your well honed straight left, quickly take their balance with an inside leg kick first which will also open their guard.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 9:07am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want Sirc to adress the "I'm beautiful look at me pose down" issue. lol There is no way Omega hasn't teased you about it before.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 10:50am

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you guys need to throw more combinations. I generally see single shot attacks from out of range. Of course they're going to miss. Throw a shot, and with each one, get a little closer, get a little better position for your next shot. Both of you throw those spinning and crescent moon kicks from way out there with no set up. Generally, the other guy will tell you how he is needing to be hit. More often than not, with kicks this is a leg kick, not a head kick.

Less headkick attemts, more solid leg kicks IMO.

hands up.

Listen to Alex.

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 10:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to mention the lack of leg kicks but it is such a personal fetish of mine I wasn't sure it was universal advice. I also know a lot of people that don't like to use many leg kicks in friendly sparring.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 11:38am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good lord Sirc, get your fucking hands up. At least dwkfym had his rear hand somewhere near his jaw - you looked like you were trying to protect some spot between your solar plexus and navel.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 12:01pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm also Korean, short arms, thick legs, big head. I'm not sure if it's good advice but I hunch a little bit and put my t-rax arms close. Clenches fists to side of my temple and elbows by side of chest. Not sure what it's called, high guard? But with short torso and small stature, doesn't leave too much opening in my front.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 12:11pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alex, Sang, thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    I was going to mention the lack of leg kicks but it is such a personal fetish of mine I wasn't sure it was universal advice. I also know a lot of people that don't like to use many leg kicks in friendly sparring.
    I was throwing them early on, and my ranging problems kept me from landing them.

Combos, flurries and pressure used to be my to-go thing to do, especially if my opponent was way bigger or with longer reach. Need to get back in shape..
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Yours truly

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 12:18pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    you got hit a couple of times when you didnt need to. but whatever, its your face, can do with it whatever you like.

really no other way to get better other than sparring southpaws, tbh. which can be tough, im the only southpaw at my gym, and when people pretend to be southpaw they tend not to actually fight like one.
    I actually find it nice with southpaws. The footwork becomes awkward as hell for me, but the jab angle is much much better. Though, this time around I didn't use many jabs (I used to try and throw them so much that 85+% of my punches would be jabs.. this one I only have them in pairs, here and there).

Sirc definitely needs to keep his hands up. You can do all that head movement stuff with hands up just fine.

I think I got my dropping hand habits from a full year of only sparring n00bs. Developed a lot of bad habits that needs to be solved by getting punched over and over again. I find it harder to throw left straights against southpaws. The angle is all off for me.

The main reason I didn't throw more jabs is because I suck (or punches in general) but the other reason is Sirc's range. Usually my punching range is perfect for me beacuse its too close for people to punch or kick back. But with sirc, my punching range was far enough for me to avoid his punches, but it was at sirc's kick range. No excuse though.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 12:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As an aside it is endlessly entertaining to me to see southpaws have trouble with other southpaws. LOL

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 12:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I rarely ever spar against other southpaws. I don't know how you orthodox guys fight each other. It's so bizarre not mirroring someone.

But yeah, thanks Sang, Whiteshark, Alex.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12