• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 7:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Daito-Ryu Aikijujutsu a la Montreal, Quebec?

Hey guys! Just wondering if anyone knew of any Dojo or gym in Montreal, Canada where I could study Daito ryu aikijujutsu? Or for that matter, are there other types of aikijujutsu?
    I much prefer it to aikido due to the fact that aikido has lost much of its martial prowess.

Anyway, Im looking for a few things, namely full contact(full force, resisting opponents, etc), good atmosphere(none of that tough guy crap), and excellent instructors. Anyone got anything for me? xD

PS. For those of you who've also seen my Hamilton thread yes, I do live in Hamilton but also spend half the year in Montreal, so would really like to do something of that nature during those 6 months.

PPS: Im looking for an art... that I can use for self defense by utilizing people's weight and momentum and using that against them. Ie. jujitsu, judo, sambo, etc. Would Daito ryu be a good choice? Or are there better? I really dont mind pouring in many years of training and dedication.
    Last edited by mag400; 11/07/2011 7:48pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 2:52pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mag400 View Post
    PPS: Im looking for an art... that I can use for self defense by utilizing people's weight and momentum and using that against them. Ie. jujitsu, judo, sambo, etc. Would Daito ryu be a good choice? Or are there better? I really dont mind pouring in many years of training and dedication.
    Let me preface by saying I have 5 years of Aikijutsu experience. There are Aikijutsu schools where you may learn some usable techniques like you're describing, but they're hard to find. Judo is a better bet, and aiki will work better for you if you know Judo anyway. However, I did come across this: http://academie-martiale-serei.com/ (may need to translate to English)

From the website: Thank you for visiting the website of the center of the most complete martial art of Montreal, the Academy Martial Serei. Where you find the martial arts of the past, present and future. All disciplines (list) - Aikido, Aiki Ju-Jitsu, Karate, Judo, Kendo, Self Defense, Ju Jitsu, Boxing fitness, Wushu Kung Fu, and more ...

If you want to learn self-defense, get in shape, participate in a competitive sport or simply practicing a martial art, we have a course for you.

If they actually have a legit Judo instructor and a legit Aikijutsu instructor, it may be a good bet. Maybe someone else here knows about these guys.

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 3:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 3:32pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know these guys, but Montreal is a smorgesborge of Martial Arts. Dozens of arts everywhere.

The Serie dojo has a schedule on the link that was posted, that has Caporira (spelling i dont care) BJJ, Judo, and there own self defence systems, aiki, iaido, . You might check it out. I think it is in the plateau. Very trendy there, as you know. Many of the schools look off island.

Daito Aiki Budo- will I think Rock Ape is one of the 'experts opinions' on here. Judo is awesome, BJJ is top notch, Sambo school looks perfect. I wish I had moved to Montreal when I was young and not tied down, you could train almost 24 hours a day. You got six months here? Do a month of everything, then get back to me (us) for a report. I should set up a scavenger hunt of clubs for you to try.

One consideration is where you will be living. If you are in West Island, or Laval, don't spend your life on a highway travelling

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 4:16pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like Aikido, Dai-to Ryu will take a long time to learn before you have any workable skillset to talk of. Most of the training is kata based and 99% of the dojo will teach in a Koryu style. There isn't any competitive aspect so you'll never pressure test your ability unless you digress into another means of doing so.

If you want to study a tradition, be a part of maintaining a small aspect of Japan's history then Dai-to Ryu, along with many other classical bugei will suffice.

If you want to lern how to fight, know that what you do physically works under pressure and has been tested do Judo, BJJ or another form of JJ which advocates competition and can validate the results of their students
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 4:36pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to GAMMA. Wide variety of arts taught, by proven fighters.

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    11/10/2011 8:54am

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
    Let me preface by saying I have 5 years of Aikijutsu experience. There are Aikijutsu schools where you may learn some usable techniques like you're describing, but they're hard to find. Judo is a better bet, and aiki will work better for you if you know Judo anyway. However, I did come across this: http://academie-martiale-serei.com/ (may need to translate to English)

From the website: Thank you for visiting the website of the center of the most complete martial art of Montreal, the Academy Martial Serei. Where you find the martial arts of the past, present and future. All disciplines (list) - Aikido, Aiki Ju-Jitsu, Karate, Judo, Kendo, Self Defense, Ju Jitsu, Boxing fitness, Wushu Kung Fu, and more ...

If you want to learn self-defense, get in shape, participate in a competitive sport or simply practicing a martial art, we have a course for you.

If they actually have a legit Judo instructor and a legit Aikijutsu instructor, it may be a good bet. Maybe someone else here knows about these guys.
    Georges Serei, the father is still active at 90 years of age. He started one of the first judo clubs in Canada with Louis Arpin, is an original student of Kawaishi in France. The sons have been doing martial arts since they were about 5, are now in their 50s and 60s. I don't know their aiki lineage, but there is no doubt of their judo heritage.