Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 5:46pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tagabulag

Was surfing the interwebs today and saw an ad for "the best martial arts website" and was curious. It led me to "FMA"'s facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/FMA-Pulse/126757583539
    and clicked on the second link from the top. It led me here: http://www.fmapulse.com/content/fma-...agic-tagabulag

That page describes a "real" magical martial arts style from the philippines that uses invisibility, abilities to see invisible objects, and amulets that grant said powers.

Read the article for yourself, gents, but I'm calling major Bull**** on this one.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 6:04pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "While surfing the webs" should rarely be the start of a MABS thread.

No, your post is not one of those rare instances.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 6:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: NinBuKai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WayOfLife View Post
    That page describes a "real" magical martial arts style from the philippines that uses invisibility, abilities to see invisible objects, and amulets that grant said powers.

Read the article for yourself, gents, but I'm calling major Bull**** on this one.
    The problem with contemporary practitioners is they just don't understand what real discipline is, so they're always quick to discount claims as "bullshit" (by the way you can say that fucking word here).

All joking aside, the article was written by "Perry Gil S. Mallari" who professes:

• escrima bears the stamp of approval of Ignacio Mabait
    • studied the art fencing with the foil in the early 1990s under Socorro Olivan at the then Quezon City Fencing Club ran by Celso Dayrit Jr.
    • practices hilot, the Filipino healing art of bone setting and therapeutic massage

Further snooping reveals (from here):

• 15 years of formal and informal martial arts education
    • encompassing mainstream and vintage (pre-WW II) Filipino Martial Arts (FMA)
    • western fencing as well as eclectic empty hand combatives
    • been getting published since 1998
    • "I was raised by a healer, Sgt. Penitente Apolinar or Tiyong (uncle) Enteng, was a burly Visayan skilled in the art of Hilot (Filipino art of bone setting and therapeautic massage)

This guy sort of sounds like a nut, based off of his "Martial Artist as a Healer" article.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 6:12pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    "While surfing the webs" should rarely be the start of a MABS thread.

No, your post is not one of those rare instances.
    So I shouldnt have posted this thread?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 6:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WayOfLife View Post
    So I shouldnt have posted this thread?
    It belongs in YMAS, so it was moved there. Read the rules if you are unsure as to why.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 6:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, let me get this straight, their story is:

A Filipino priest knew how to be invisible and due to this fact lost both "his revolutions", and later left his mountain only for "cockfighting", and then, a few hundred years later, a friend of the author asks him to reproduce his "magical handkerchief" and that's pretty much it, right?

I remember times when liars would at least TRY to make their lies sound close to something that could actually be considered true.
    Last edited by SmH; 11/07/2011 6:32pm at . Reason: good ol' typos

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 6:56pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SmH View Post

A Filipino priest knew how to be invisible and due to this fact lost both "his revolutions", and later left his mountain only for "cockfighting", and then, a few hundred years later, a friend of the author asks him to reproduce his "magical handkerchief" and that's pretty much it, right?

I remember times when liars would at least TRY to make their lies sound close to something that could actually be considered true.
    Hey, doesn't sound that divorced from most mythology in my opinion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 7:23pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I remember correctly, Sports Illustrated actually did an article about this "magical" art back in the late 90s, with hardly a twinge of skepticism.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 9:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
    If I remember correctly, Sports Illustrated actually did an article about this "magical" art back in the late 90s, with hardly a twinge of skepticism.
    There has to be a link somewhere... Oh please let me find a link somewhere I don't care if it is a pdf or a web cam of a VHS recording of 120 wrinkled pages from a fax machine.

*edit*
    well I can't find it here .... http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 11/07/2011 9:35pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 9:48am

Style: ex-BJJ, ex-TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SmH View Post

as a Filipino, I call bullshit on that story. even worse, that priest as the martin luther of the Philippines, even bigger bullshit.

I seem to recall a show that featured the "tadtad" he slashed his arm, and it didn't stop bleeding. I LMAO when I saw that.

I read the author's work on a philippine-published MA journal back when it was still circulating. IMO it was subpar.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast