Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2011 10:32am

Style: Kempo/Kickboxing/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Moving to Hoboken. NJ. (Hope this is the right forum)

It's been a while since I've posted on here, so go easy on me! In a few months, I'm going to be moving to Hoboken, NJ where my girl just moved to for a great job opportunity (yeah, I'm whipped.) I hold a black belt in RyuKyu Kempo (5 years training) and taught voluntarily on my off-days from work, along with amatuer Kickboxing (0-1 thus far). I want to find a style or school around Hoboken where I can continue in martial arts and start fresh. A couple schools I was looking at are: Tiger Schulmann's MMA, Hoboken Kyudokan Gojo Ryu Karate, and Institute of Defensive Methods (idmnj).

My question is: Can anyone offer any insight on any of these schools or any other schools around the area that have good training methods? I have a car, so I can drive to some locations, depending. I will admit, I do have some experience in the LARPing of Martial Arts, and some RBSD, so I'm open on whatever.

Go easy on me, I feel like a noob again. And to the Moderators; not sure if this is the right forum, so my apologies if I posted in the wrong area.

Posted On:
    10/31/2011 10:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try Cutting Edge BJJ in Harrison.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2011 10:53am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't limit your search to schools in NJ. NYC is right across the river, and it's a short, inexpensive ride on the PATH train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2011 10:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True as well. I don't know much about the area so I just kept it to where I was at, but yeah, being across the river from Middle Manhattan, any schools over there as well would work. I'll definitely look up Cutting Edge BJJ, being that I did a little BJJ in my school as well before me and my girl made the decision to move.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2011 11:09am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would stay away from Tiger Schulmann's because I remember when they were still a board-breaking, kiai-ing karate franchise and now they've jumped all over the MMA thing. Maybe they hired some guys that know what they're doing, but it seems shady to me.

I do know they compete in BJJ tournaments in the area though, because I have a BJJ purple belt friend who trained at the Jungle Gym in NYC who told me stories about how much his coach HATED Tiger Schulmann's and always vowed to beat them. I don't remember if he mentioned they were actually any good or not though.

Posted On:
    10/31/2011 6:47pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have friends who train at CEBJJ in Harrison and can vouch for the place. Also, in North Bergen you also have the Judo option at Tech Judo with Clyde Worthen.

And as someone else pointed out in the thread, you're just a PATH train ride away from Manhatten and a lot of options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2011 8:48pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whenever I go to NYC I always stay in Hoboken and take the train into The City....its that easy. I can't speak to the martial arts schools in Hoboken, but there are a lot of cool pubs and eateries....cool little town.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2011 8:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm actually in Hoboken for the week visiting my girl. Tomorrow, while she is at work until 9pm, I'm gonna go around and visit as many places as I can. I do like BJJ, but I also wanna see other styles as well to keep my options open. I'm loving Hoboken, but fucking HATE the parking, but it's something I have to get used to.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2011 11:25pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can get there (not familiar with where the various cities are in NJ) you can't go wrong with Karatedo Shurenkan, in Bayonne. http://www.bayonnekarate.com/
    The dojo chief, Miguel Rios, was an uchideshi under Enshin's Joko Ninomiya. They're a great bunch, and they often host huge training sessions with martial artists from all over. I can't recommend the school highly enough.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2011 11:27am

Style: 2 Fisted Drinking Dynamo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I lived closer to the city, I'd be all up in Sambo Steve's place fo' sure
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast