Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 10:08pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can give it a go at 44. Here's me at 48 getting my ass handed to me by a future Olympian:

http://www.facebook.com/v/51980561717

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 11:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Naszir View Post
    Congratulations! You get nothing but respect for competing. Out of curiosity where is your club? Also if you get a chance, you might want to check out the tournaments run out of Universal Judo in SATX. I hope to see you on the mats.
    Thanks. I train with Champion Judo Club in Pasadena, Texas. By the way, I noticed on past results postings for HOJT that Universal Judo was represented. Hope they're able to send someone in the master novice class next year.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 11:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by twan55 View Post
    have been doing Judo for exactly one year
    After some sporadic grappling training and then a layoff for several years, I started training in earnest a little over a year ago in October 2010. After a year of continuous training, I told myself that I probably wouldn't embarrass myself too badly in shiai and resolved to give it a try when the next opportunity came up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2012 3:54pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :staredad:Nice! What about grappling tournaments? If you are interested in practicing Ne Waza, Houston area, College Station, and Dallas have tons of events (with older competitors). Official Judo competitions are a lot harder to come by here in Texas. College Station has an annual event, but the last two times I attended, it was Collegiate Athletes only (proof of enrollment, but this also includes anyone working on MA or PhD, technically). However, the director at the ATM Judo Club might be able to direct you to other events closer to us.

Posted On:
    2/22/2012 6:17pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Outis View Post
    Well, I took the plunge and decided to test myself in a shiai, so I entered the Houston Open Judo Tournament this past Saturday. As far as I know, at age 58, I was the oldest one to actually compete; there was a black belt there who turns 67 this month, but there were no advanced masters players for him to compete against, so he won his category uncontested. I was in the master novice category along with one other entrant, a young punk just in his mid-40s; he was two judo belts ahead of me and was a blue belt in BJJ to boot.

We had two matches, and he ipponed me with tani otoshi each time. The first match briefly went to the ground, where I blocked a tate shiho gatame attempt by getting one knee up. I rolled out, dove for one leg, and got him down; but he put me in his guard and then we got stood back up.

My coach said that I clearly had superior upper body strength, but that I was too slow turning in and needed to "blast in" to get a throw off. I'm going to work on that. And I'm planning on entering again next year.
    I envy you. After total knee replacement I thought about going back, but a good days yard work convinced me not to :) At 71 aging is no fun! :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 8:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jowalker View Post
    What about grappling tournaments?
    There will be some BJJ tournaments in Houston that I plan on entering.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 9:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dustymars View Post
    I envy you. After total knee replacement I thought about going back, but a good days yard work convinced me not to :) At 71 aging is no fun! :)
    I've been fortunate enough not to have developed any joint problems yet. An older coworker had both knees replaced, and although it allowed him to amble around without constant pain, he wasn't able to resume as active a lifestyle as before.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 9:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    You can give it a go at 44. Here's me at 48 getting my ass handed to me by a future Olympian:

http://www.facebook.com/v/51980561717
    Thanks for sharing. I hope to get video of myself somewhere down the line.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2012 5:44am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You entering was awesome! I can't wait to hear more about judo and bjj tourneys you enter! And I can sort of understand when you say blasting! Whenever I do fairly well in randori, it's because I went in, got a grip, did kuzushi, and threw in a very small timeframe. It's all about getting in quickly and going for it, at least in my experience!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2012 5:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanner Hunt View Post
    It's all about getting in quickly and going for it, at least in my experience!
    Yeah, that's pretty much what my coach was trying to get across to me.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast