Page 1 of 3 123 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Outis Does a Shiai

Well, I took the plunge and decided to test myself in a shiai, so I entered the Houston Open Judo Tournament this past Saturday. As far as I know, at age 58, I was the oldest one to actually compete; there was a black belt there who turns 67 this month, but there were no advanced masters players for him to compete against, so he won his category uncontested. I was in the master novice category along with one other entrant, a young punk just in his mid-40s; he was two judo belts ahead of me and was a blue belt in BJJ to boot.

We had two matches, and he ipponed me with tani otoshi each time. The first match briefly went to the ground, where I blocked a tate shiho gatame attempt by getting one knee up. I rolled out, dove for one leg, and got him down; but he put me in his guard and then we got stood back up.

My coach said that I clearly had superior upper body strength, but that I was too slow turning in and needed to "blast in" to get a throw off. I'm going to work on that. And I'm planning on entering again next year.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good for you

Wish you better luck next time

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, gents.

Every now and then a thread pops up where someone in his 30s or 40s wonders if he's too old to start judo. I hope my experience might encourage others to go for it.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome story, cant wait to hear about how you fair next year.

Speaking of, I need to start lookin' round abouts my area for some competitions.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gosai View Post
    Speaking of, I need to start lookin' round abouts my area for some competitions.
    Hope you find something and let us know how it goes. I'm already eyeballing a grappling tournament that's coming through in August that has in the past featured a 40+ division. Since I'm augmenting my judo newaza with some BJJ, I thought it might be interesting to test my groundwork against others in my same age bracket and experience level.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Inspired

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    super cool! I have a lot of respect for older dudes who start competing! Learn and grow!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great job outis keep it up

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congratulations! You get nothing but respect for competing. Out of curiosity where is your club? Also if you get a chance, you might want to check out the tournaments run out of Universal Judo in SATX. I hope to see you on the mats.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude you are the fucking MAN.

I turn 44 on Tuesday, have been doing Judo for exactly one year, and have yet to Shiai.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last