Posted On:
    11/07/2011 11:38am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    Okay, thank you, guys.

I take your word for it. Interesting, though.

Is the idea behind this to hinder the creation of a fighter's union?

I take the MLB and the NBA have it, but neither boxing, wrestling nor MMA.
    Brouse through http://nymmanow.blogspot.com
    Lots of info and history there for you
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 11:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regarding last night as a whole, Helwani behaved exactly as expected. But what was shocking was how quickly he dove into the spin. No image of appearing objective. In fact, he contradicts himself by saying "this is only a one sided story because the other side (the union), wont speak". Then he goes on to tell "the facts" as to why we don't have MMA in NY, when moments earlier he just stated he did not have the whole story...LOL.

Most insulting was when an audience member asked about what New York fans are doing about it, he says "All they do is talk about it" and "the made some t-shirts"...suggesting that we have not been proactive. As if we have not rallied, had round tables, letter campaigns, met with oour delegates, released a documentary, been on talk shows, reported the story locally, cooperated with many media outlets...and on and on. He then goes to say "The UFC has been on the front lines for New Yorkers"...LOL.

Yes, Helwani did have some say over who was on the panel. At one point, last week, when I discovered there would be a panel, I contacted them and asked to be on it. I was told Helwani was one of the people who had to approve that. I was not on the panel obviously. And as Peter said, it was hard not to see that all us local press/coalition folks were avoided in the Q&A. It was pathetic. In fact, it was sadly funny that when they first opened the floor to questions, Peter had his hand raised immediately (he was in the front), and they waited till someone else raised there hand to make the call. There were a few awkward moments where it was clear they were not going to call on Peter. Same happened for me, for Mike from darce Side Radio...

And it tarnished what could have been a wonderful night after a great movie. There was an audience of new fans and there could have been an honest discussion of the issues. But, alas, it was the Helwani show.
    Last edited by sambosteve; 11/07/2011 11:51am at .
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 12:03pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would it be possible to ask fighters to boycott interviews requested by Mr. Helwani?
    Shut the hell up and train.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 12:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting Idea....

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 1:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, MMAFighting was just bought from AOL, by the parent company of Bloody Elbow. I doubt Helwani will be getting the special treatment and access he was from AOL by his new bosses. I don't think they will be dropping that kind of bank of flying reporters all over the world to cover MMA like AOL did (why AOL lost so mush $$$?).

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 1:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Darce Side Radio will be playing the complete audio from last night Q&A session at NYC Docs. MMA Journalist Jim Genia will also be on the show discussing NY MMA and his new book "Raw Combat".

Darce Side airs live at 7-9pm EST and can be downloaded as a podcast from iTunes.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/thedarceside

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 4:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I say get over it. So Helwani knows who butters his bread. Big deal. He looks to me like a guy trying to make a living and get ahead in the world. Why would he step on his own dick when he's in the catbird seat and has great access to fighters?

I see him as the Jay Glazer of the MMA world. Sure, you know you can't expect unbiased commentary from him. So what? There are a ton of guys who can provide that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 11:18pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    I say get over it. So Helwani knows who butters his bread. Big deal. He looks to me like a guy trying to make a living and get ahead in the world. Why would he step on his own dick when he's in the catbird seat and has great access to fighters?

I see him as the Jay Glazer of the MMA world. Sure, you know you can't expect unbiased commentary from him. So what? There are a ton of guys who can provide that.
    This isn't a situation that we can just "get over it" on really. Ariel is single handedly helping spread misinformation at the grassroots level. Think about the audience attending this film: they aren't exactly of the mainstream affair. The more bullshit they spread at this deep of a root, the worse it'll get in the long run. I'm sure they realize this.

Of all the effort done by so many on this matter, it amazes me [unsurprisingly] how selfish and sleazy Ariel is behaving. All for his personal gain.

Burn down a forest for a quick buck, essentially.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 9:03am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killing Moon View Post
    This isn't a situation that we can just "get over it" on really. Ariel is single handedly helping spread misinformation at the grassroots level. Think about the audience attending this film: they aren't exactly of the mainstream affair. The more bullshit they spread at this deep of a root, the worse it'll get in the long run. I'm sure they realize this.

Of all the effort done by so many on this matter, it amazes me [unsurprisingly] how selfish and sleazy Ariel is behaving. All for his personal gain.

Burn down a forest for a quick buck, essentially.
    Or maybe he just thinks the opinions expressed in Lampa's open letter to Dana White are full of ****. How dare he disagree?

Also, I find it hilarious and extremely ironic when union shills cry about other people playing dirty with them.

Why would anyone be arrogant enough to think people should immediately jump and change their stance on a subject just because they write a letter or two they feel is convincing? Get real.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 10:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    Or maybe he just thinks the opinions expressed in Lampa's open letter to Dana White are full of ****. How dare he disagree?

Also, I find it hilarious and extremely ironic when union shills cry about other people playing dirty with them.

Why would anyone be arrogant enough to think people should immediately jump and change their stance on a subject just because they write a letter or two they feel is convincing? Get real.
    Who are you suggesting is a union shill? I certainly know one or two, but Lampa is not one of them, nor am I, nor are most of the folks I have worked with here in NY on this issue. Believe me, I am not a fan of either Zuffa nor the Union (regarding this issue) as they have used NY to wage their little proxy war against each other, sacrificing the sport here. Zuffa however, pushed the story the point where it has now become a reality. The Union leadership were stupid enough to pick up Zuffa's gauntlet and run with it.

Regarding Helwani, this is not about one letter or a simple difference of opinion. It is about a long history of Zuffa misinformation.

Certainly Helwani can disagree, but what is unethical from a "journalist" like him is to support blocking of voices and push fabricated stories...perpetuating a rewriting of history. I would have welcomed his disagreement as well as an opportunity to actually discuss it in public. But, that was not the case. Discussion was actively avoided, silenced. According to Helwani, all we NY fans only talk about doing something to fight here anyway I guess (insert sarcasm here). Sunday night we could'nt even do that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast