Style
    Muay-Thai, Hapkido, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Getting out of a contract

So here's the deal. I'm currently training at a TMA school and I resigned my contract for another year about three months ago. In that period of time the school joined the Championship Martial Arts organization, stopped sparring full contact and now ONLY the kids class spars at all. :fffuuu: Not only that but it seems all of the adults have left the school.
    Basically this isn't what I signed on for, I wanted legitimate training and now I'm just paying for the school's bills in exchange for some limited instruction on punching and kicking.

I live in Texas and I can get out of the contract by paying for 30% of the remaining contract, but I'd rather not do that because I have very little money to spare.

TL;DR My school has turned into a McDojo and I want out without paying a large sum.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you spoken with the staff about your dissatisfaction or asked if they will let you out of the contract? Sometimes that is all it takes, other times not so much.

I thought I spelled it wrong, but as I said I'm a mechanic not an English professor.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just because I'm a petty person:
    Didn't we talk to you about this before? Something about how much you're paying?

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did the contract stipulate what kind of training you'd be receiving for your payments?

Style
    Shotokan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    Have you spoken with the staff about your dissatisfaction or asked if they will let you out of the contract? Sometimes that is all it takes, other times not so much.

I agree talk to them maybe they'll change or just find a way to let you out.

Style
    Muay-Thai, Hapkido, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't we talk to you about this before? Something about how much you're paying?
    Yeah, that was before they changed their training style. Surprised you remembered that thread.

No specification of the type of training in the contract.

I'll talk to them, though I've seen other people trying to get out of the contract for various reasons (none similar to mine) and they had very little luck. :/
    Last edited by 7heTexanRebel; 6/26/2012 6:36pm at .

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 7heTexanRebel View Post
    I'll talk to them, though I've seen other people trying to get out of the contract for various reasons (none similar to mine) and they had very little luck.
    This is another option: You can volunteer to be an unofficial 'greeter' meeting potential students and welcoming them. The school won't want a disgruntled student discouraging others from signing on and may not only let you out of the contract, but kick you out of the school. Probably not the best option, but it is an option.

I thought I spelled it wrong, but as I said I'm a mechanic not an English professor.