233147 Bullies, 3466 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Is carrying a sidearm without a round in the chamber acceptable, or not?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Acceptable

16 51.61%
  • Not acceptable

15 48.39%
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 4:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you want everybody carrying live ammo in the chamber all the time? A round in the chamber is always a good idea?
    Last edited by qbe9584; 1/25/2012 4:49pm at . Reason: ettiquette

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 5:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then you haven't been reading what I have been writing. When the GUN IS IN YOUR HAND AND IN YOUR DIRECT CONTROL, there is a round chambered. WHEN THE GUN IN IN YOUR HOLSTER, the chamber should be empty.

We are talking about carrying, right? Not handling. When you are handling a weapon, you have a round in the chamber.

In terms of self defense, would you agree that a gun has a unique potential to harm the user? Moreso than a stick or a knife. So let's say that it's an attacker with a knife at a range of 3 meters. If you clutch the trigger and wound yourself, how does that help you? Myself, I would run and clear as much space as possible before trying to go for a weapon.

As for quality of training, again, I admit that I am a hobbyist. I can't get daily range time. If your range time is measured on a weekly cycle, would you say that carrying with an empty chamber is perhaps a better idea than carrying with a round in the chamber? To me, this is about knowing my limits with a weapon because I know how they work, what they can do to myself, my intended target and my unintended backdrop if I the weapon discharges in an uncontrolled manner. If somebody is reacting in panic, there will be an element of lost control and the potential for accidental discharge. The bullet will go where you don't want it to go. I'll take the extra step. I'm not saying it's as fast as having a round in the chamber. I am simply saying that there are other considerations. Would you agree with that?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 5:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did seek training and practice. I stored my weapon responsibly and kept it clean and in serviceable condition. The ammunition I chose for my weapon was selected because it would not go through the walls of my home and therefore had less chance of hurting someone in the street. I chose a revolver for reliability, and kept one chamber empty as an additional passive safety measure.

Here's the crux of the argument. How many people injure themselves as a result of an accidental discharge due to carrying a pistol with a round in the chamber? How many people get attacked while carrying a pistol, and are injured or killed because they couldn't draw quickly enough? Which is the more realistic consideration for someone who is in the general populace?

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 7:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Qbe, I'm not going to bother picking apart your bullshit in it's entirety because I'd rather wait and converse with the grownups.

Your misunderstanding about how modern revolvers function reveals your lack of knowledge on the subject of firearms.

Modern revolvers won't fire if you drop them on the hammer. Your idea that it's safer to carry a revolver with the hammer on an empty cylinder is an antiquated idea. There used to be a reason for that line of thinking. Now that reason is nonexistent. Do some reading, then come back and we'll talk.

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 8:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Qbe, I don't understand where you got the idea that a gun in a holster can shoot itself! You argument is utter nonsense!

And on the topic of revolvers, if the hammer is forward, the only way for you to fire it is to pull that hard trigger you were talking about. You are not going to discharge it by dropping it or bumping it into something because the hammer is forward.

Putting 5 rounds into a 6 shot revolver is the dumbest thing I ever heard.

Also, please never again bring up knives and sticks in an argument about guns. You doing this alone shows your lack of understanding of all three subjects.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2012 12:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not that a gun will shoot itself, but when you reach for it too quickly and, for example, it catches in the holster, you accidently use your trigger finger, it slips, what have you, there is an opportunity to make your bad situation (being attacked) worse (being attacked with a self inflicted wound, of having injured some one you didn't intend to shoot). The whole idea is make sure you have control of the weapon when a bullet is in the chamber. When its n your hand and ready to fire, round in the chamber. When it's in the holster, chamber empty. That is the concept in a nutshell.

"Putting 5 rounds into a 6 shot revolver is the dumbest thing I ever heard." It's called a cowboy carry. It's very common in Texas and the South. It's a passive safety measure for a revolver. Ask around.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2012 12:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To explain why guns are special, and deserve special consideration, comparison helps. You can't stab yourself in the leg with a knife with improper draw technique. You can with a bad draw or a bad reholstering of a pistol.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2012 12:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Except you proposed no argument at all. You simply called me and my instructor idiots. THAT'S an ad hominem argument. THAT'S why you are, clinically speaking, subliterate.

I'll take your side of it: "Military Police need a round chambered because they will be doing something with both hands, but the gun has to be ready to fire. Short of growing a third arm, they could keep the chambered pistol in the holster. Your instructor is an idiot."

See, there is a counter example right there. We could begin an exchange of ideas.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2012 12:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Hahahahaa, you're such a dumbass, you don't even understand what i'm talking about...

People use "ad hominem", colloquially, to mean an insult.
    This is incorrect, though it is often used in informal conversation.
    An argumentum ad hominem attacks the person, instead of an argument in order to undermine the argument.

To simply insult someone does not qualify.

Furthermore the term "idiot" can simply be a correct observation, as in your case.
    In this thread you, and your friend, were labeled idiots because of the arguments you set forth, not in order to undermine them.

Btw that's not a Snickers you fucking retard...
    So what did you say about hobbyist shooters, my concerns about accidental discharge when drawing, my concerns about the safety of a chambered round outside of your direct control, and any drawbacks for shooting? You didn't make any. You simply called me an idiot. That's an ad hominem statement.

Full. House. (Eats another candy bar, definitely a Snickers).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2012 8:05am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbe9584 View Post
    "Putting 5 rounds into a 6 shot revolver is the dumbest thing I ever heard." It's called a cowboy carry. It's very common in Texas and the South. It's a passive safety measure for a revolver. Ask around.
    Cowboy carry is common with cowboy guns, such as the Colt SAA. Most revolvers have various safety devices that, as previously mentioned, make it physically impossible to fire by dropping the weapon. While the single action revolver is not completely unknown in carry, most texans and southerners carry either carry a self-loading pistol or a double action revolvers.
    The few people who carry with only 5 rounds in a six round cylinder in a modern design revolvers (including modern SAA clones that have the modern safety features in the old design) are simply ignorant. Do not mistake people doing it with it being a good thing to do or being "the right thing."

Obviously you dont want to take feedback so I will simply make my point so you can get busy ignoring it.

There is nothing unsafe about carrying a self-loading pistol with a round in the chamber when utilizing a proper holster. Carrying with a round chambered is not unsafe by itself, some people are unsafe to carry a pistol. A person who is not safe to carry a pistol with a round in the chamber shouldnt carry a pistol.
    A modern revolver should have a fully loaded cylinder.
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast