222074 Bullies, 4093 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Is carrying a sidearm without a round in the chamber acceptable, or not?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Acceptable

    16 51.61%
  • Not acceptable

    15 48.39%
Results 41 to 50 of 122
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. chemsoldier is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    32

    Posted On:
    1/04/2012 1:01am


     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    How many deadly encounters have you been in since you seem to be an expert on the subject.
    dont have to be an expert on deadly encounters...I said the statement was logically unsound, as in the structure of your argument.

    You indicated that you would encourage different people to have different weapons statuses. Then you justify different weapons statuses based on frequency the carrier would have lethal encounters. But at the moment of the lethal encounter itself, the chance of occurrence is a moot point because it is happening. At that point, how is the person at condition 3 better off than a person in condition 1? All other threat conditions being equal, why is one person better off in condition 1 and another in condition 3?

    Weapons status matters when something has happened
    So what does the chance of something happening got to do with weapons status?

    I dont know you from Adam brother, you could be the second coming of Jeff Cooper for all I know. I am perfectly willing to consider that you could have a point, you just didnt reach me with that argument.
  2. tgace is online now
    tgace's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,241

    Posted On:
    1/04/2012 1:02am


     Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    So people that don't carry a gun should just give up and not bother training to deal with armed suspects because they are fucked without a gun.
    That's not what I'm saying at all. And now you are trying to change the argument. Carrying condition 3 is like carrying the blade of a knife in one pocket and the handle in another with the philosophy that you can put them together if trouble arises. Or like women who bury a can of OC in the bottom of their purses thinking they will be able to get it when attacked.

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  3. Team Python is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indio, Ca.
    Posts
    315

    Posted On:
    1/04/2012 1:21am


     Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chemsoldier View Post
    dont have to be an expert on deadly encounters...I said the statement was logically unsound, as in the structure of your argument.

    You indicated that you would encourage different people to have different weapons statuses. Then you justify different weapons statuses based on frequency the carrier would have lethal encounters. But at the moment of the lethal encounter itself, the chance of occurrence is a moot point because it is happening. At that point, how is the person at condition 3 better off than a person in condition 1? All other threat conditions being equal, why is one person better off in condition 1 and another in condition 3?

    Weapons status matters when something has happened
    So what does the chance of something happening got to do with weapons status?

    I dont know you from Adam brother, you could be the second coming of Jeff Cooper for all I know. I am perfectly willing to consider that you could have a point, you just didnt reach me with that argument.
    First of all I have never said that condition 3 is better than condition 1. I did say that I prefer to carry condition 1. However there are people that choose to carry condition 3 for whatever reason and they might have a good reason to do so. I also stated that I do offer training on carrying condition 3 for individuals that wish to learn this method of carry.

    There has and always be an argument about which is better. The Israeli’s have been carrying condition 3 for years and even some of their special units still do so. Also the individuals that taught me Israeli Combat Shooting also carry condition 3 in Israel a well. I am sure if it was not a good idea to do so they would have probably gotten rid of this method a long time ago.
    Last edited by Team Python; 1/04/2012 1:28am at .
  4. Team Python is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indio, Ca.
    Posts
    315

    Posted On:
    1/04/2012 1:26am


     Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    That's not what I'm saying at all. And now you are trying to change the argument. Carrying condition 3 is like carrying the blade of a knife in one pocket and the handle in another with the philosophy that you can put them together if trouble arises. Or like women who bury a can of OC in the bottom of their purses thinking they will be able to get it when attacked.

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

    And that is your opinion and you have a right to it however you are not going to change people's minds on this subject. I personally think that carrying condition 3 is not that bad as long as there is proper training involved. I would never carry condition 3 on duty but maybe I would off duty because I have faith in my unarmed training to do so.
  5. Diesel_tke is offline
    Diesel_tke's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    4,006

    Posted On:
    1/04/2012 9:36am

    supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it boils down to intent. If you are intending to use the gun, because of work, or location, then you should have it ready to use. If you do not intend on using it, then why even have it? In my opinion, walking around with a gun just for fun, or just for the sake of having one, is dumb. In that instance, there is no intent to use it, you have it just for shits and grins. In that instance, there is no reason to even have it loaded. Personally, I think it should be left in the car or house.

    Now if you are a cop, contractor, security, then there should be intent to use it. In this case, it should be ready for use in the worst case scenerio. Not assuming that I will have the chance to chamber if I need to. Assuming the worst and hoping for the best.
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
  6. qbe9584 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    163

    Posted On:
    1/23/2012 12:43am


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The question was whether or not its acceptable to carry a round in the chamber. I was taught no. The gun is loaded, but the chamber itself is empty. With double action revolvers, it means you are one trigger pull from shooting, and with an automatic you chamber a round before shooting. It was explained as a safety precaution should you be carrying a pistol in a group of people. If you have a round in the chamber, it should be in your hand and you should be controlling the direction of the gun so as to shoot the right person.
  7. Vorpal is offline
    Vorpal's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    A Hell of my own making
    Posts
    3,077

    Posted On:
    1/23/2012 8:06am

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbe9584 View Post
    The question was whether or not its acceptable to carry a round in the chamber. I was taught no. The gun is loaded, but the chamber itself is empty. With double action revolvers, it means you are one trigger pull from shooting, and with an automatic you chamber a round before shooting. It was explained as a safety precaution should you be carrying a pistol in a group of people. If you have a round in the chamber, it should be in your hand and you should be controlling the direction of the gun so as to shoot the right person.
    Whoever "taught" you is an idiot and doesn't even understand how guns work.
  8. Devil is online now
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,520

    Posted On:
    1/23/2012 8:29am

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I prefer criminals to carry condition 3.
  9. qbe9584 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    163

    Posted On:
    1/23/2012 10:33pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ad Hominem, much? He was a Marine Corps Officer. It made more sense than carrying a bullet under the hammer in a crowd.
  10. tgace is online now
    tgace's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,241

    Posted On:
    1/24/2012 9:41am


     Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most military personnel are far from experts on the topic of handguns.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.