230789 Bullies, 4284 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Is carrying a sidearm without a round in the chamber acceptable, or not?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Acceptable

16 51.61%
  • Not acceptable

15 48.39%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 9:55am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    My brother and a couple uncles are all cops, and I know that everytime I check out one of their weapons, the first thing you do is take the round out of the chamber and then the clip out.
    In what circumstance do you use this procedure? If you are making the weapon safe by unloading it, the procedure you just described would leave a live round in the chamber. I know you're not some ignorant ass on the internet, which is why I'm all the more interested in your clarification.

I only carry on my own property, pretty much only in the company of my grandmother (oddly enough). She isn't comfortable with the pistol being loaded, so I maintain Condition 3 while we're on the driveway and switch to Condition 1 when we're near the snake-y areas. For me, carrying Condition 1 comes down to ensuring readiness. When I draw my weapon, it will be because I need it immediately. My pistol is an M1911A1 clone, though, so I have true "cocked and locked" carry in Condition 1. Thanks to the Army for the manual safety on my pistol; I'd **** myself if half-cock had remained the safe condition.

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 1:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your Ruger P95DC sustained an inpact on the hammer with a round in the chamber it is most unlikely that it would fire. All Ruger P series pistols have internal firing pin safeties that prevent forward movement of the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled. Know your equipment people.

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 2:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    In what circumstance do you use this procedure? If you are making the weapon safe by unloading it, the procedure you just described would leave a live round in the chamber. I know you're not some ignorant ass on the internet, which is why I'm all the more interested in your clarification.

I only carry on my own property, pretty much only in the company of my grandmother (oddly enough). She isn't comfortable with the pistol being loaded, so I maintain Condition 3 while we're on the driveway and switch to Condition 1 when we're near the snake-y areas. For me, carrying Condition 1 comes down to ensuring readiness. When I draw my weapon, it will be because I need it immediately. My pistol is an M1911A1 clone, though, so I have true "cocked and locked" carry in Condition 1. Thanks to the Army for the manual safety on my pistol; I'd **** myself if half-cock had remained the safe condition.

+1. People, if you are going to unload a semi automatic pistol first make sure you are in the proper environment for doing so (no distractions, no kids, have a safe direction to orient the muzzle). With your finger OFF THE TRIGGER and the muzzle oriented in a safe direction remove the source of ammunition (the magazine). Lock the slide to the rear (take care not to cover your hand or any othe part of your body with the muzzle of the weapon). Retrieve the ejected round. Remove the source of ammunition and the round from the chamber from your immediate work area. With the slide still locked back, your FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER, and the muzzle still pointed in a safe direction work the action several times and lock it back again. Visually and physically inspect the chamber and the magazine well. Look away. Go back and do it a second time. When you are doing this inspection it is important that you expect to find something. If you expect that the weapon will be clear it is quite possible that there will be something in the weapon and you will not see it even if you look. Now your weapon is clear. That is not a go sign to start doing ignorant things with the weapoon. Continue to keep your finger off the trigger, the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and obey all other safety rules and use some common sense. Wear safety glasses too if you are taking it down to clean it. Thanks Rob.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    +1. People, if you are going to unload a semi automatic pistol first make sure you are in the proper environment for doing so (no distractions, no kids, have a safe direction to orient the muzzle). With your finger OFF THE TRIGGER and the muzzle oriented in a safe direction remove the source of ammunition (the magazine). Lock the slide to the rear (take care not to cover your hand or any othe part of your body with the muzzle of the weapon). Retrieve the ejected round. Remove the source of ammunition and the round from the chamber from your immediate work area. With the slide still locked back, your FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER, and the muzzle still pointed in a safe direction work the action several times and lock it back again. Visually and physically inspect the chamber and the magazine well. Look away. Go back and do it a second time. When you are doing this inspection it is important that you expect to find something. If you expect that the weapon will be clear it is quite possible that there will be something in the weapon and you will not see it even if you look. Now your weapon is clear. That is not a go sign to start doing ignorant things with the weapoon. Continue to keep your finger off the trigger, the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and obey all other safety rules and use some common sense. Wear safety glasses too if you are taking it down to clean it. Thanks Rob.
    the NRA needs to tattoo this on the backsides of peoples' eyelids as soon as they buy a firearm.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 7:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha! My bad, I reversed that when I wrote it down! And the circumstance is usually when I show up to one of there houses and they have purchased a new weapon and want to show me.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    11/14/2011 5:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Ha! My bad, I reversed that when I wrote it down! And the circumstance is usually when I show up to one of there houses and they have purchased a new weapon and want to show me.
    Good to have that cleared up. You should flag that post and ask a mod to apply an edit, though...we don't want that mistake preserved.

Posted On:
    11/14/2011 7:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meh, I've made plenty of mistakes that have been preserved. I hope no one would be learning how to unload a firearm by a thread on bullshido.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2011 10:20pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Carry however is safe AND you are proficient. As for me I regularly carry a striker fired pistol (no manual safety) with a round in the chamber in a quality IWB holster. I am comfortable with it, its how I train and compete. I wont say anyone doing it differently with a similar weapon and holster is wrong, just that I dont see a reason, other than the individuals comfort level, not to carry with a round chambered.

Posted On:
    12/26/2011 4:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    I still have to recommend the Israeli carry, its just not worth it, this 0.3 of a second advantage if you misfire.
    Am I correct in assuming that by “misfire” you mean an accidental or negligent discharge, rather than a malfunction?

Posted On:
    12/26/2011 11:54am

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Israeli Carry is the favorite of those who think that they will be in a situation where they will not be the person immediately attacked, or that they will somehow have the time/distance to draw, charge and fire before the BG is all over their ****.

It's not a matter of time, its a matter of ability to get the weapon into operation while you are being attacked.

http://tgace.com/2011/11/08/conditio...sraeli-method/

And let me forestall the "you have to solve the unarmed self-defense problem before you deploy the gun" argument by saying that even in you can gain a dominant position against an opponent before drawing you can still be fucked if your gun is unloaded. Check this video out:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...5523081681233#

Im thinking that cops glad he wasnt in condition 3.
    Last edited by tgace; 12/26/2011 12:01pm at .
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast