Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2011 5:25pm

Style: Anything Goes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Running Injury + Judo = ?

All right. So, I decided that running would be a good idea. And for a month or so it was, it really was. Then something in my foot started hurting, and I was an idiot, and I ran through the pain.

Now I can't walk without my foot feeling like it's got a baseball trying to break out the top of it.

So, I've got a question. Let's say I decided to go to judo this evening. Would that aggravate the injury?

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    11/14/2011 5:27pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go see a doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore typos.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Posted On:
    11/14/2011 5:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to a doctor.

There you go, two Judo black belt opinions, for free.

Bargain.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2011 5:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like a good bargain! I'll have to take it.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    11/14/2011 5:46pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^
    This..

In addition, I'm interested to know a couple of things because I'm a runner

1 - How much running had you done before you decided that it would be a "good idea" to run ?

2 - What footwear were you running in .. dedicated running shoes or something less appropriate ?

3 - Are you a neutral runner or do you pronate or supronate ?

4 - What distance did you run when you picked up the injury ?

5 - When you've seen the doctor and most likely had the foot xrayed, let me (us) know what the injury was.

Thanks

Dave
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2011 6:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    ^
    This..

In addition, I'm interested to know a couple of things because I'm a runner

1 - How much running had you done before you decided that it would be a "good idea" to run ?

2 - What footwear were you running in .. dedicated running shoes or something less appropriate ?

3 - Are you a neutral runner or do you pronate or supronate ?

4 - What distance did you run when you picked up the injury ?

5 - When you've seen the doctor and most likely had the foot xrayed, let me (us) know what the injury was.

Thanks

Dave
    Well, to answer your questions:

1 - prior to taking on running, I had done some training for the Warrior Dash when it passed through NC. I used the C25K program, combined with a pair of Vibrams, just to get my feet used to the idea of moving barefoot. And it worked really well - I ran the Dash without any injury.

After that, I took some time off of running, during which I didn't practice. And then I heard about a challenge through Nerd Fitness about a runner's guide that was coming out. So, I decided to take part.

It is neither the guide's fault, nor the challenge's fault. It presents itself in a series of 4 tiers, each one being more advanced than the other. I thought that I could just go back into running at the level I was immediately post-WD, so, I took a higher challenge.

2 - I used a pair of Vibram running shoes - it's a dedicated running pair.

3 - To the best of my knowledge, I'm a neutral runner.

4 - I logged 18 miles last week when the injury first flared up. Prior to that there was a dull ache in my foot, but I didn't think it was serious.

5 - Will do. This may be a while.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    11/14/2011 6:32pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks mate..

Because I do a lot of running, over 700 miles this year alone, (some of this is in military boots) I tend to get a bit tendonitis, believe it or not, in a tendon leading to one of my toes, this is fucking painful after the run and sometimes because it's swollen, it clicks as I walk. LOL

This pain feels like it's coming out of the top of my foot which, I suspect is due to the swelling and, as I stand on it, the pressure is forced upwards. Now, this only happens on runs over 10k (but not always) regardless if I use boots, high-end running shoes and insoles.

I went to the Med Centre a while ago and wasted 30 minutes of my life waiting to see the 'tard physio (Military idiot reject) who stated the obvious and advised me to stop running !! Fucking moron.. I've got infantry soldier written all over my fucking uniform (not literally of course) and this retard tells me I should stop running as a means of keeping fit. [/rant]

Anyway, hope your foot heals and let us know the injury when you get the results.

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    11/14/2011 6:42pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to a New Balance place and got shoes suited to me, can't remember which I am pronate or supronate.

Anyway they made very little difference, I felt better with my feet by loosening my laces.

My calves continued to tighten up regardless, didn't matter how many miles I did 3x 3 miles a week or 5x 5miles a week I would still get agonising calf tightening after a mile.

I decided it wasn't the shoes and was just me being a puss so ignored it.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    11/14/2011 7:37pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's called manning up !

It's also called being fucking stupid lol. Pain, I mean real pain, not just a strong discomfort, is the body's way of telling you to stop doing what's causing the pain in the first place. The calf pain could be a number of reason but primarily if it's in both legs, you're not doing enough warm up or stretching before and after the run.

You said you used New Balance shoes, were you fitted for them by someone who could tell you how you run? Did they observe you running at all? Having entirely the wrong supporting shoe will **** your legs in the run for sure.

How long did the pain/sorenss last post run.. A day or two or longer? Did it feel like you'd picked up an injury or was it just accute stiffness/soreness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 5:17am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You said you used New Balance shoes, were you fitted for them by someone who could tell you how you run? Did they observe you running at all? Having entirely the wrong supporting shoe will **** your legs in the run for sure.
    This was several years ago now. They filmed me running on a treadmill for a few minutes and I think did something on a computer.

How long did the pain/sorenss last post run.. A day or two or longer? Did it feel like you'd picked up an injury or was it just accute stiffness/soreness?
    Its just during the run, its gone in less than half an hour/ max an hour once I stop running.

I don't have any calf issues in any other activity be it Judo, cycling, Rugby etc... its only running.

I've never been particularly good at it even when on the cross country team at school, always just plodded along never anything that could be described as Kenyan style actual running, lol.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast