• Advanced Search
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
Punch your friends in the facebook (etc.) SHARE THIS!:

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 4:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was clearly using the NFL's definition of "spike". Get with the program, limeys.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Style: 
    Judo

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 5:11pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    You're referring to the nebulous

It takes a quite brave interpretation of that rule to pronounce upon whether something is a 'spike' or not and whether the act or 'spiking' is covered by the rules.

I've never seen a call like that. In fact there's some quite astonishing photographs from the Beijing Olympics involving Williams Murray of the USA where his opponent, Hiraoka of Japan, is supported only on his head and no penalty or hansokumake was given as a result.

It's hard to tell from still shots, but I'm willing to bet that tori isn't deliberately trying to land uke on his head in any of those situations... rather uke is choosing to roll onto his head in order to avoid ippon.

I think that's probably the distinction as far as the "endanger or injure [...] neck or spinal vertebrae" thing goes. I can't imagine pile driving someone into the mat going down awfully well under any interpretation of that rule.
    Last edited by Lu Tze; 11/08/2011 5:16pm at .

Style: 
    Judo

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 5:16pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    It's hard to tell from still shots, but I'm willing to bet that tori isn't deliberately trying to land uke on his head in any of those situations... rather uke rolling onto his head in order to avoid ippon.

I think that's probably the distinction as far as the "deliberately injure" thing goes. I can't imagine pile driving someone into the mat going down awfully well, whether specifically forbidden or not.

Also,

Ippon awarded

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Style: 
    Judo

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 5:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first one wasn't really throwing him onto his head, he was just turning him over... the second one though, yeah I get your point.

Style: 
    Judo

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 5:28pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first one wasn't really throwing him onto his head, he was just turning him over...
    Yah, sure, but balancing someone on their head is quite easily within the 'endangering of the spine' realm.

the second one though, yeah I get your point.
    Yeh, its a tough fall, quite similar to the original in terms of being planted on the point of the shoulders.

A few years later tori in blue, Budolin, would go on to basically KO himself doing a te guruma at the 2006 Europeans in Finland.

Style: 
    wrestling

Posted On:
    11/24/2011 10:16am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Massive Judo KO

i love this

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Style: 
    Kodokan Judo

Posted On:
    11/24/2011 12:43pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Higher res vid

This is how he landed

Now whether you think that's a 'spike' or not depends on whether you use the UFC's definition, the NFLs, the IRBs, wrestling's etc...

In Judo there is no spiking rule, so any definition your bring in is kind of arbitrary.
    No way to take ukemi from that landing position, chin tuck or not. I don't think he tried to turn out. It's one of those things that happens in Judo from time to time, a hazard of competing. Both judoka are going all out and using maximum force throughout the match, white is the one who ended up making a huge mistake and paying for it.

I'd have called ippon at 2:04, but obviously would have been overruled by the side referees.

Like JUK writes, there is no "spiking rule" in Judo. If the refs thought blue had intentionally injured white, that would be a different matter.

I've knocked guys out with various throws in shiai and never gotten HSM (DQe'd). It happens.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Featherweight

Style: 
    Shorei-Ryu/Goju-Ryu/BJJ

Posted On:
    11/24/2011 1:45pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't worry guys, his neck broke the fall.

Actual Photo

Style: 
    Recovery-Fu

Posted On:
    11/24/2011 10:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerfulFellow View Post
    Don't worry guys, his neck broke the fall.
    If I remember correctly you are seriously lacking in critical thinking and are more than willing to to lead others and yourself into the realm of the supernatural. There for your opinions matter just as much as the disinformation and willful ignorance you dribble out of yourself everywhere you go.

The useless comment above is the most valuable and sensible thing you have said in your short stay here.

You have a good day, a happy Thanksgiving and dont forget about us once school starts again kid.

... thread which supports my opinion...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Featherweight

Style: 
    Shorei-Ryu/Goju-Ryu/BJJ

Posted On:
    11/25/2011 3:13am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    If I remember correctly you are seriously lacking in critical thinking and are more than willing to to lead others and yourself into the realm of the supernatural. There for your opinions matter just as much as the disinformation and willful ignorance you dribble out of yourself everywhere you go.

The useless comment above is the most valuable and sensible thing you have said in your short stay here.

You have a good day, a happy Thanksgiving and dont forget about us once school starts again kid.

... thread which supports my opinion...
    Are you fucking kidding me? You obviously didn't read the entire thread then if you think I'm willfully leading myself, let alone others, into the supernatural. The thread was just a question in regards to scientific explanations to what people call "qi/chi" or whatever in the fck energy.

Talk about willful ignorance being dribbled out of oneself. If you wanna pick a fight, come here to Orlando and do it in person. If you wanna piss me off for shits and giggles on the internetz, then please, ensue to make belligerent, unnecessary, and ill-informed comments like the one above.

And if you didn't notice, I was not the only one in the forum to leave a comment: ranging from MODs themselves in the first page on. Maybe you should be more legitimately intensive, rather than anally retentive. Or, like I said, if you want to keep being a douche-bag, then go for it. I'll eventually learn to ignore it.... eventually.

Edit: You said I reinforce qi? That's funny, according to my comment against it.

For Christ's sake, read before trying to be a smartass.
    Last edited by PowerfulFellow; 11/25/2011 3:21am at . Reason: Additional Information Provided
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast