Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2011 5:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uglybugly View Post
    yeah I might be talking out of my ass here but I read an article about a blogger that made 100 000-200 000 each year. The blog was about fashion. This particular blogger made deals with brands that she liked. Long term deals.. You won't be able to read the article if I find it for you because it is not in English. A martial art blog would not be able to generate this amount of cash and I would not be able to write about fashion because I have absolutely no interest for it.

/edit how does a blog generate money? well advertising. adsent gives you some money for each click you get but the big money comes from sponsorships. It is almost like those stars in UFC.. they get money for wearing certain clothes or pretend that they drink certain stuff. Just watch when somebody wins in the ufc they will put on a tapout shirt or something and probably a cap. If they are really poor they will have a hugh banner and two cans of soda and a boy waiving flag to advertise abit extra ;)
    If you are being paid by a particular clothing manufacturer/designer to write positive articles, that's one thing, but I can't see earning 100-200k a year doing that...unless that also includes selling that ad space on the blog, which might make sense if it's a blog that gets a fuckton of traffic.

As for getting money on a blog by using AdSense...believe me, unless it's a blog that gets A LOT of traffic and you get the majority of that traffic clicking on the link...forget it. You are not going to earn too much.

Now, the sponsorship deals are where it's at. There'd have to be something truly unique and amazing about a blog to get corporate sponsorship, but I suppose it isn't impossible. I just don't see the money in blogging. I'd reckon that blogging could be a stepping stone to something more, but if one sets out to earn their fortune through blogging, I think the only thing that person will earn is disappointment.

Posted On:
    11/05/2011 5:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uglybugly View Post
    yeah I might be talking out of my ass here but I read an article about a blogger that made 100 000-200 000 each year. The blog was about fashion. This particular blogger made deals with brands that she liked. Long term deals.. You won't be able to read the article if I find it for you because it is not in English. A martial art blog would not be able to generate this amount of cash and I would not be able to write about fashion because I have absolutely no interest for it.
    My blog gets about a thousand hits a week.

I tried out adsense a while back.

I earned exactly **** all from it.

Page views mean nothing, its click through to the ads that makes you money and the adverts for 'TKD in Basingstoke' were unsurprisingly not getting Judoka to click on them.

So earning dollar through blogging isn't easy, its a tough game.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2011 6:07am

Style: Aikido, Kajukembo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a cousin who started writing for a guy on his blog for their favorite NFL team. After he basically stole her work, she started her own blog for her favorite team, and ended up getting a job associated with that team writing for their official page or something. Being a blogger can lead to something, just look at Perez Hilton. Totally useless to most of us, yet gets paid to be on TV and has some notoriety.

On this subject here though, if you train Judo, why not learn more about Judo and those who train, and compete in it world wide, and create something you know about and may be useful or interesting to others, so you can build not just a following but credibility. Try to further Judo, so maybe during the Olympics the networks may consult you as an authority on who is who in the sport?

If you want to branch out to other styles, find people who are in the know, to contribute to the blog. Otherwise it'll just come off half-assed! You will have zero credibility among anyone on any subject you take on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2011 6:11am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Page views mean nothing, its click through to the ads that makes you money and the adverts for 'TKD in Basingstoke' were unsurprisingly not getting Judoka to click on them.
    This made me lol. no seriously. there must be some way that we can make adsense put up advertising that we think will be clicked :D It is not common knowledge that judokas are not at all interested in tkd but it is very true that judokas are not interested in tkd.

Posted On:
    11/06/2011 10:41am

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do some blogging. Mostly LE and firearms stuff with a bit of martial arts tossed in. Since its on wordpress.com I cant advertise on it, but sometimes I do get offers of free stuff from companies in exchange for an evaluation and a mention of their company. The latest is a couple boxes of Hornady ammo sent for me to do a write up on. I still cant determine if footing the bill for hosting would net me a profit or a loss in comparison to ad dollars brought in.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 3:36pm

Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i see no reason you can't or shouldn't make money off of martial arts. i mean other types of schools make money off of teaching valid techniques.

my biggest problem is that unlike law, medicine, accounting, computer/tech, engineering, architechture, emt, social workers, therapists, etc. schools- martial arts is almost completely devoid of any means of oversight and regulation.

(no offence to bullshido and the fraud investigators on this site, you guys do your hard work and due dilligence, but lets face it, this site is no substitute for actual regulation and enforcement or state regulated quality controls of some kind).

EDIT:
    its not the making money, its the making money off the martial equivalent of "snake oil" thats the problem. IMO.
    Last edited by Bluto Blutarsky; 11/07/2011 3:38pm at . Reason: addition/clarification.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 6:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, I don't think anyone was saying that you shouldn't be able to make money off blogging about martial arts.

What they were saying was that a poorly written blog about some guy half arsing about isn't going to make money. Who the hell would want to read it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 6:03pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Dude, I don't think anyone was saying that you shouldn't be able to make money off blogging about martial arts.

What they were saying was that a poorly written blog about some guy half arsing about isn't going to make money. Who the hell would want to read it?
    maybe people that are into the martial art community and people that is shopping for a martial art? maybe not the biggest audience but..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 8:42pm

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make sure you talk about Penn State football every other blog, and sex tours to Thailand.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12