Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2012 11:04pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    I thought Sensei Ohta inherited the clubs from Sensei Enoeda? One of our JJ Students had graded Shodan under Sensei Enoeda. (Our student had to stop MA training owing to Disc disintegration requiring surgery.

That's about the sum of my knowledge. Rock Ape will be better informed and knowledgeable that me so I'll now shut up. :-)
    From what I recall of the issues after Enoeda Sensei's passing, there was a lot of argument regarding who would inherit the KUGB - Andy Sherry Sensei or Ohta Sensei. Ohta Sensei, naturally, wanted to be in charge; the old Japanese superiority complex was involved, and the British in large majority wanted Sherry in charge. That's when the KUGB split from JKA, Ohta took the JKA schools, and Sherry led the KUGB.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2012 11:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I recall of the issues after Enoeda Sensei's passing, there was a lot of argument regarding who would inherit the KUGB - Andy Sherry Sensei or Ohta Sensei.

Ohta Sensei, naturally, wanted to be in charge; the old Japanese superiority complex was involved even though Sherry Sensei was higher rank (please correct me if I'm wrong on that bit), and the British in large majority wanted Sherry in charge. That's when the KUGB split from JKA, Ohta took the JKA schools, and Sherry led the KUGB.

Posted On:
    1/08/2012 7:56am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you.

That all makes sense. I've previously read of the bust up when the British karateka had had enough of Japanese, er, 'management' leading to the forming of the KUGB. Apparently, Enoeda was asked to choose and replied that he 'went with the English'.

Well, he stayed for the duration - so, quite right to!

Cheers

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2012 12:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No problem, one of the Sensei that I train under came up through the ranks under Enoeda and Sherry. The way he puts it, Enoeda went positively native after moving to the UK, and preferred the leadership under his British students compared to the way that the Japanese were attempting to run things.

It's a shame that the JKA couldn't appreciate Enoeda Sensei's feelings on the matter, and just go with it. The JKA probably would have continued to be something of the powerhouse that it used to be (at least in the UK and parts of Europe).
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123