pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/03/2011 10:47am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    That's pretty horrible. By the way... did anyone else catch what the whole thing was over in the first place? If you're curious, go to 1:53 and listen to the next words out of his mouth, "She told you to take that fan off of your computer." A noisy computer fan. Wonder what would have happened if she'd actually done something that... I dunno... warranted punishment?
    I read that the guy was pissed because she was illegally downloading media.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2011 10:49am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @ Rabbit - You talking about "Old Thunder" the dreaded college fraternity paddle? I'd certainly choose the belt.

I'd say the excessiveness of the beating might at least warrant a misdemeanor charge, which in that case it would be beyond the statute of limitations now. I imagine that with the video being the only evidence of the act, they could only view it as a misdemeanor, if charges had actually been filed at that time.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/03/2011 10:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know how it will shake out from a legal standpoint.

However, professions such as lawyers, accountants, etc that are regulated by the state have codes of professional conduct. I'm pretty sure this is going to be embarassing enough to those governing bodies that he gets called out for violations of those codes, which likely means he's got a short ass future as a judge.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    11/03/2011 11:08am

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If Devil and I agree, then it must be universally true.

I'm still laughing inside that after all this time, it's so fitting that the computer was for her a form of solace and comfort in a very dark place (literally), and yet it was the same computer she was beaten for using that came forward years later to her defense.

How many times did she get beaten with the webcam off? I'm sure it was many, many times...

Posted On:
    11/03/2011 11:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Punishments aside, this guy's reputation is fucked, and I'm pretty sure reputation is important for a judge.

Posted On:
    11/03/2011 11:33am

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best part is where a billion children now see a way out of abusive homes.

Posted On:
    11/03/2011 11:50am

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I read that the guy was pissed because she was illegally downloading media.
    She said music and games that were not available for legal purchase at the time. So, nothing millions of kids around 'Muricah weren't doing at that same time. And don't say illegal downloading, say downloading copyrighted content. It's not "illegal downloading" unless the host is non-complicit, or the data itself is contraband.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey184 View Post
    @ Rabbit - You talking about "Old Thunder" the dreaded college fraternity paddle? I'd certainly choose the belt.
    "Ol Thunder" is the name of the paddle used by the school in the most recent corporeal punishment arguments sent to the US Supreme Court. It was used to whack a student until she bled, for leaving school grounds. She was days short of being 18 and some private school schmuck rolled up his sleeves to paddle her. The USSC refused to hear her appeal.

Four years ago on Wednesday, Jessica Serafin was paddled by her San Antonio charter school principal for breaking a school rule.

Serafin was just a few days past her 18th birthday, making her an adult, and she says in court papers she did not consent to being struck three times by a wooden paddle called "Ole Thunder" after she went off campus to buy breakfast. She sued the school, but has lost so far. She was basically 18 years old and some private school schmuck rolled up his sleeves to paddle her, and the USSC refused to see hear her appeal.

Corporal punishment in schools remains legal in 22 states, according to court papers filed on behalf of the charter school, the School of Excellence in Education.

On Thursday, in a private conference, the justices of the U.S. Supreme Court will decide whether to revisit the legal issues surrounding corporal punishment in schools for the first time in more than 30 years. The court could announce as soon as June 23 whether it will hear the former student's appeal in Serafin v. School of Excellence in Education (Case No. 07-9760).
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 11/03/2011 11:57am at .

Posted On:
    11/03/2011 11:59am

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For some background, the 1977 USSC case Ingraham vs. Wright is what makes corporeal punishment legal in American schools today:

"We are reviewing here a legislative judgment, rooted in history and reaffirmed in the laws of many States, that corporal punishment serves important educational interests," the late Justice Lewis F. Powell Jr. said for the majority in Ingraham.

Posted On:
    11/03/2011 12:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    She said music and games that were not available for legal purchase at the time. So, nothing millions of kids around 'Muricah weren't doing at that same time.
    I wasn't trying to justify his actions. If anything, I'll bet he's just a not-so-computer-savy guy who figured that the daughter's downloading would cause a scandal and hurt his reputation. If so, that's some top-shelf irony.

And don't say illegal downloading, say downloading copyrighted content. It's not "illegal downloading" unless the host is non-complicit, or the data itself is contraband.
    okay

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/03/2011 12:33pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post

"Ol Thunder" is the name of the paddle used by the school in the most recent corporeal punishment arguments sent to the US Supreme Court. It was used to whack a student until she bled, for leaving school grounds. She was days short of being 18 and some private school schmuck rolled up his sleeves to paddle her. The USSC refused to hear her appeal.
    http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/schoo...s_appeals.html

In the corporal-punishment appeal, Serafin v. School of Excellence in Education (Case No. 07-9760), the justices declined without comment to hear the case of Jessica Serafin, who was an 18-year-old high school senior when she alleges she was paddled by her school principal for a minor infraction of school rules--leaving the campus of her San Antonio charter school to buy breakfast.
    Declined.

According to the blog she was already 18 and tried to leave school before the punishment.
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast