218303 Bullies, 6079 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13141516 ... LastLast

You know me...the snakebite hiss, the Devil's Grip, the Iron Fist

Achievements:
    Three Friends3 months registeredTagger Second ClassOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 10:40am

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I've said, had that video come out at the time it was taken, the judge likely would have been charged.

That is not discipline, that is a savage, angry, expletive-ridden assault.

Yes the anger part is important because it shows the judge is not emotionally in control of himself, which combined with a weapon in hand makes him dangerous to a child. Remember, trying to beat discipline into a child while foaming at the mouth is not sending the right signal. It means you're probably way more undisciplined.

No, I don't expect the average Egyptian will view this as particularly bad seeing as how they live in the Arab world where daily violence is more common. In the US, we give children and women more rights than they have in the Arab world, and one of those rights it not to be beaten by the man of the house at whim.

There is a lot of commentary on Fox News supporting the beating solely because she was "committing a federal crime" (she wasn't) by downloading mp3s.

In that case, line up every person from the age of 13-31 because many of them are equally guilty.

Whippings and gulags for everybody!

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 10:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Welterweight

Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 2:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Sam Harris for the win. I suppose I should say " In my Opn " ...

Administrator

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 2:39pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hertzyscowicz View Post
    Mister, would you please watch the entire seven and a half minute video and then come back telling us this is all just media exaggeration and that the beating clearly wasn't that bad?
    Dude just leave him alone.

In his country that isn't a beating yet he can tell us based on his observations and emotions it isn't.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    31 days registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 6:11pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Like I've said, had that video come out at the time it was taken, the judge likely would have been charged.

That is not discipline, that is a savage, angry, expletive-ridden assault.

Yes the anger part is important because it shows the judge is not emotionally in control of himself, which combined with a weapon in hand makes him dangerous to a child. Remember, trying to beat discipline into a child while foaming at the mouth is not sending the right signal. It means you're probably way more undisciplined.

No, I don't expect the average Egyptian will view this as particularly bad seeing as how they live in the Arab world where daily violence is more common. In the US, we give children and women more rights than they have in the Arab world, and one of those rights it not to be beaten by the man of the house at whim.

There is a lot of commentary on Fox News supporting the beating solely because she was "committing a federal crime" (she wasn't) by downloading mp3s.

In that case, line up every person from the age of 13-31 because many of them are equally guilty.

Whippings and gulags for everybody!
    I don't know, I've never heard in my country of someone getting drunk and beating his kids and wife (most of us don't drink), I've never heard of an extreme case of domestic violence either, I know men who beat their wives and kids but very lightly, they still love them and even when angry they would not dare to cause them permanent damage.

As far as violence goes...That's a difficult thing to gauge accurately. I hear about some crimes in America that are pretty disturbing. While most crimes that I hear about in this country are petty theft and political corruption.

Lately due to political instability and the lack of police the crime rates have gone way up but I think it is unfair to take that into account seeing as before that crime rates were one of the lowest in the world in Egypt.

The latter is not an assumption I can provide proof if you want.

In short, violence and crime rate is normally less in my country than in yours. Forget for a second about the guy with the beard who blows himself up in a hotel and thinks America is the enemy of god, most of us are regular, shirt-wearing folks whom drive to work everyday and watch television before sleep.

12th level logic wielder

Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 6:15pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    I know men who beat their wives and kids but very lightly, they still love them and even when angry they would not dare to cause them permanent damage.
    Beating wives too, huh?

I do not agree with physical punishment of children, but I am willing to entertain the argument that (provided it stops short of lasting harm) there is a place for it. I don’t agree, but I’ll grant that the case can be made.

I see no reason whatsoever, though, to accept that one adult has the right to bring violence to another adult. (Obviously consensual arrangements ranging from sparring/fighting to BDSM are different, because they are consensual; and responding to violence in self-defence is another matter altogether.) Men beating their wives is a tyranny of force and nothing short of vile.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 7:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    I see no reason whatsoever, though, to accept that one adult has the right to bring violence to another adult. (Obviously consensual arrangements ranging from sparring/fighting to BDSM are different, because they are consensual; and responding to violence in self-defence is another matter altogether.) Men beating their wives is a tyranny of force and nothing short of vile.
    It seems Islam has a different view on legitimate use of violence.

They have not heard about Hobbes or Weber.

Administrator

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 7:28pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never heard of an extreme case of domestic violence either,
    I have. No, not just from the media but actual immigrants.

As far as violence goes...That's a difficult thing to gauge accurately.
    Please tell me you see the contradiction and hypocrisy in this statement and the one below.

I know men who beat their wives and kids but very lightly, they still love them and even when angry they would not dare to cause them permanent damage.
    Just so you know about 50 years ago what you just typed was accepted, understood as normal, and defended in the United States. Your use of "love" and "lightly" is quite disgusting and I believe in spanking children within reason.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 11/15/2011 7:32pm at .

Registered Member

Achievements:
    31 days registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 7:29pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not the way it seems very few men beat their wives as far as I know.

Most people are against wife beating. The guy that I knew beat his wife then her brothers kicked his ass. Also another guy on my street beat his wife and she ran into the street screaming, EVERYBODY kicked his ass.

These videos are of extremists they don't count for the Egyptian public view.

12th level logic wielder

Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 7:31pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not the way it seems very few men beat their wives as far as I know.

Most people are against wife beating.
    Well, which is it? Do you think it’s acceptable or not?
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13141516 ... LastLast